Cold Steel AK-47 OD Green

photoman12001

Gold Member
I picked up a Cold Steel AK-47 on the Exchange that arrived yesterday and I'm a little torn on it. I had not previously owned or even handled a Cold Steel product but this knife looked pretty cool and I wanted to take a look at something with a Tri-Ad lock. My initial impression was pretty "meh". It seems built well enough for something without full metal liners and the lock seems to be very stout. It also "waves" very nicely, much better than my Emersons. Also, the blade finish is really nice looking. The big detracting features for me out the gate were the ergonomics are off for me and the lock is very difficult to disengage.

I know the tough disengagement is a by-product of the lock's strengthening attributes (stout spring and lots of travel to disengage the large blade/lock interface). I don't mind the lock thing too much. I learned to live with it on my Spyderco Gayle Bradley 1 and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite knives. As a habitual knife flipper, the Tri-Ad lock is a bit annoying because both opening and closing are stiff. The Gayle Bradlley is a bit of a pain to close but it sails open with silky smoothness. The AK-47's lock does seem to have gotten a bit smoother as I've messed with it though. The blade has some up/down movement which surprised me. What really bugs me though are the ergonomics. I think a lot of it has to do with the little nub towards the back. My pinky rests right on it when I grip the knife normally. If I move the pinky in front of the nub my fingers feel too cramped. If I move it behind the nub my fingers feel too spread out or I feel like my grip is too far to the rear. Other knives with a protrusion like this seem to fit me pretty well, like my Benchmades 950s. I planned to resell the AK a few minutes after handling it and even typed up an ad this morning but I've decided to hold on to it to see if it grows on me.

Anyway, I was wondering what others here thought of this model and I didn't find a lot of discussion on it.
How well does the blade finish hold up?
Has anyone removed that little nub towards the rear on the G10?

Here is the AK with a few other green G10 items.
_DSC8786%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpslw0twgln.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice picture!!!

Thanks. I haven't felt like taking photos for a while but I went nuts this weekend with them for some reason. It's not Cold Steel related but I liked this one with the Single Six a lot.

Back to the AK: I've been messing with it quite a bit this evening and it is growing on me more. I think maybe the mini version would be better for me but I like the OD green and it doesn't seem to come in that color. If I do end up keeping the AK I think I'd like to get a deep carry pocket clip and maybe a custom thumb disk in a different color. Is anyone making these? A quick Google/eBay search didn't turn up anything.

Also, in addition to the nice looking finish on the blade it has really nice edge grind. It's smooth, even, very sharp, and better than the edges that came on some of my Benchmades and Zero Tolerances. I was just cutting through some of that thin thermal receipt paper with it and that blade just glided through even doing "S" curves. I just wish the handle was more comfortable for me.

_DSC8783%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsm9uhoheu.jpg

Last edited:
...... I think a lot of it has to do with the little nub towards the back. My pinky rests right on it when I grip the knife normally. If I move the pinky in front of the nub my fingers feel too cramped. If I move it behind the nub my fingers feel too spread out or I feel like my grip is too far to the rear......

Exactly my thought on the AK-47. I dont get why it needs to be there at all other than to potentially bug people. Good example of something that's being over designed.

I had one for a short time... the clip didn't work for me. The lip opening was too narrow and it would catch on a lot of my pants pockets. Other than that I liked it a lot but the clip was a critical issue. I'm not a tinkerer though so I didnt bother to try and fix it, I just sold it.

To my mind Cold Steel should get the clip right directly out the box. All the other manufacturers seem to manage this just fine. For this reason I only own CS fixed blades at this time.

I had one for a short time... the clip didn't work for me. The lip opening was too narrow and it would catch on a lot of my pants pockets. Other than that I liked it a lot but the clip was a critical issue. I'm not a tinkerer though so I didnt bother to try and fix it, I just sold it.

To my mind Cold Steel should get the clip right directly out the box. All the other manufacturers seem to manage this just fine. For this reason I only own CS fixed blades at this time.
You guys are right. At first I was thinking to myself that my AK-47's clip was actually pretty good-which it is. Then I realized that I have an older AK-47, from the era in which the Cold Steel pocket clips didn't suck.

8d9a41713e8a2b7e22561067c5e7fee2.jpg

01b16845dc805e10f5f49085b57ae957.jpg

As you can see, the clip's side profile is triangular. It is also a bit taller than the current trapezoid profiled clips. The tension is perfect, and it just glides into your pocket.

It is the reason why I swapped clips with my old, Steel liner American Lawman, and my XHP Recon 1 Tanto, as the Recon 1 is getting all the pocket time.

32b97531f5cc857494ff7eb91d7e32de.jpg

Cold Steel has shown in the past, that they can make great pocket clips. Now it comes down to whether or not they want to.

Back