Cold Steel - Company Review

shortwinger

Gold Member
While doing some spring cleaning I decided to bring out some blades for a little tlc. As I grabbed for my favorites I started to notice a trend, so I decided to do a quick overall review of "my" experience with Cold Steel blades. I do have a few others not in the pic such as the Lawman, Bushman and Master Hunter but you get the point...

Cold Steel group.jpg

By far my most used Cold Steel blade is the Gurkha Kukri followed by the SRK, Recon Scout, Lawman and Trail Hawk. I did a review of the kukri 2 years ago http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...e-Cold-Steel-Gurkha-Kukri?highlight=venerable so I will only say that while I obviously loved it back then I like it more now. Two more years of regular use have made me a complete believer in this blade.

In general Cold Steel has not only provided me with some of my favorite blades that I use as tools but also provided me and friends with a good deal of enjoyment.

First as a tool. As an outdoorsman, hunter, camper, etc., many of you can appreciate that for different outdoor activities you need different blades. Cold Steel has an endless assortment of knives, hawks, axes, spears, blowguns to suit anyone's want or need. As you can see in their advertising they are not wall hangers, they are all built for use. I use mine hard and normally goby the motto, if I won't throw it into a tree, I won't buy it. (not they I would ever throw anything into a tree because that would damage a natural resource and offend people, which we all know is bad)

So far I have never had a Cold Steel blade fail and rarely do more than a quick touch up on the edges. This amazes me because I use other blades less and yet spend considerably more time maintaining an edge. While I am as guilty as anyone of making snap or emotional decisions about a blade, for me time is the great equalizer. As time goes by that little bump in a handle or weight distribution or edge that just won't stay sharp begin to wear on you and that blade goes further and further back in the drawer. Then one day someone does something nice for you and you give them a nice present!!!

Another thing that happens with time and extended regular use is that you eventually get into a situation where you "push: the knife and use it in a situation beyond its intended or stated use. This is where you end up with folder pocket knives with 2 and a half blades or a re-profiled monster that looks like a crazy movie knife. Again so far none of my Cold Steel blades has failed me when used a bit harder and hard.

While they are not cheap, when compared to other similar high end blades they are comparable or less money. Consider buying blades to comparable with the SRK or Recon Scout. I won't mention other brands here because I like many of the others as well but all you regulars can quickly name off 4 or 5 "good" blades that compare with each and know you could easily pay much more for an equal blade.

Advertising. This is the source of much debate and rarely escapes being commented on by the haters. Personally I like the advertising, especially the older stuff. I like the videos where they explain the blade, its intended us and then show it walking the walk. Do I know if they change out blades every 4 seconds? No. Do I know if they genetically alter the manila rope? No. But I can say that I have done several of the tests and my blades "with factory edges" do them as well as the videos.

The thing I find so dramatic about the Cold Steel videos is that after all this time, you would think some company would have done something similar putting their blades through their paces on video? But all you hear is silence or personal attacks directed at Lynn. I'm not saying there are no other videos out there but its rare for a company to video their products being used hard. I find it useful to see a knife being used as it gives me the ability to see whether it will fit my situation. It would be hard to argue that a "Glamour Shot" pic of a knife is as good as a video in helping you see what a particular model does well.

The Fun. So many of us here on the forum have all heard the question, do you really need all those knives??? We all know that we not only buy knives to use, we also buy them to collect, hang on a wall or just to have fun with. My experience with Cold Steel products has not only surpassed my needs as tools, they also have provided me with hours and hours of enjoyment. Break out a blowgun or spear while you and some friends are sighting in your bow early in the season and before you can shake a stick your Block will have a hundred spear holes and you will be mowing darts all summer! Break out a Trail Master at a BBQ and the wives will be yelling to come in and eat and stop staring at that stupid knife!!! Bring your kukri, Trail Hawk or Trail Master camping and aside from gathering a crowd watching you process wood for the fire, you may get a few offers!

I don't think you can discount the fun factor when you do an honest evaluation of your blades, at least I can't. I really love all my blades, bows, firearms and other tools. I use them and get rid of the ones that don't fit me and treasure the ones that work. For me Cold Steel has been a company that I trust and truly enjoy their products. Overall I will not hesitate to recommend Cold Steel products to my friends.

Nice write up Bill and as usual, I'm in agreement. But, no SF Shovel:D. Get with it man!

Hey John! I haven't got one of the SF shovels yet but have heard good things about them. I was playing with some bamboo after I sharpened the kukri...like butter!

Hope all is well with you. I'm looking forward to some warm weather and getting outside. It's been a cool rainy spring here but today is sunny and nice so I'm firing up the grill and making some bacon wrapped venison tenderloin!

Nice write up Bill and as usual, I'm in agreement. But, no SF Shovel:D. Get with it man!

Couldn't agree more. I've been buying and using CS knives for at least 25_ years. I've lost track, but w/o counting, I'd say I have at least a dozen and 1/2 around the house, at a minimum 3 within easy reach Yes, Lynn can be something of a buffoon, but I have to say that he is motivated by much more than profit. He genuinely LOVES knives, and other...umm..stuff(did I mention ,my sjambok ,Assegai spear, Trail Hawk, and yes, SF Shovel :D) IMHO, I think Cold Steel has done as much, or more, than any other knife company to further the pleasures of knife lovers the world over. And Lynn has done it without ever making a knife. He is a world class promoter and facilitator. He simply makes things happen! So, Cold Steel haters can bite me! LOL

Hey John! I haven't got one of the SF shovels yet but have heard good things about them. I was playing with some bamboo after I sharpened the kukri...like butter!

Hope all is well with you. I'm looking forward to some warm weather and getting outside. It's been a cool rainy spring here but today is sunny and nice so I'm firing up the grill and making some bacon wrapped venison tenderloin!
That Gurkha khuk is tops for sure! The design and SK5 have both amazed me. You have to check out the shovel. It's a great tool and one heck of a bargain. Glad the weather's getting nicer there. It's just about Summer already here:D Also, I'm glad to hear you mention the blowgun. As a child of the 70's and 80's, I've had a few. The CS Big Bore Blowgun is by far the best and just pegs the fun meter everytime my son and I bust our's out:thumbup:

I usually liked their blades, their Kraton handle design not so much: Kraton should not have projecting squarish shapes, or incorporated guards, of large tall diamond checkering like their Tantos: This is not an issue of ergonomics: Projecting rubber gets worn and damaged faster. Admittedly their design is way better than the Kraton on the Fallkniven A2, with its paper thin top handle portion...

Their 90s Tantos had butter-soft Kraton that wore obviously from just a few days of admiration handling...: I could never figure out what was up with that extreme softness... Others like the Recon Tanto were really hard, but had the guard moulded-in...

I always really liked their black leather high-end sheaths, and the best example of that (which they still have now) is their Tai-Pan sheath. So what if it has few carry options...: It's refreshing to see they stuck with sheaths that don't rattle or mar the blade, and that actually try to mitigate the friction wear on their signature Kraton handles... Unfortunately most of them now have these ghastly plastic things many seem to rave about, but not me...

My biggest objection to their advertising is from one video where they pushed their Tantos points as armor-piercing, with a video that showed the points rammed through a rifle magazine and a bulletproof vest together: The Gerber mark II used as a comparison obviousy has had much of its point grounded down, and still managed two-thirds of the Tanto's performance...: Look it up, the Gerber's ground-off point is blatantly obvious...

Personally, I feel they get the American Tanto point all wrong: The blade should taper wider, not narrower, and maximize the Tanto's weight-forward chopping advantage...

Gaston

Back