Cold Steel Counter Tac 1

I first went through the "double-edged boot dagger" phase in college, when the Gerber Mark 1 and inexpensive copies of it were the only knives I would buy. I amassed quite a few of them before I got over them. I even managed to stab myself in the arm, once, with a Mark 1 copy. There's a certain Zen clarity that goes with the thought, "Should I leave the knife in my arm, or pull it out?"

countertack108.jpg

I have a small white scar in the shape of the diamond-cross section of the tip of that double-edged knife to this day. A decade and a half later, I'm not obsessed with the design as I was then, but I still appreciate a good double-edged blade. That brings us to the latest incarnation of what could be considered the "Gerber Mark 1 Genre" -- that is, any knife with two edges and a tapered spear-point tip. The sample that most recently crossed my desk was the Cold Steel Counter Tac 1.

At first glance the Counter Tac 1 is almost sexy in its classic lines and centered groove (I guess you could consider it a "blood groove" if that turns you on).

countertack101.jpg

The edges are hollow-ground and taper to a needle point. The knife shipped as scary-sharp as I expect from Cold Steel, capable of popping hair off my arm and slicing effortlessly through the edge of a sheet of paper. On a trip to the dumpsters behind my office, the knife also penetrated stacked cardboard and heavy plastic barrels very well, thanks in part to the full-sized handle that affords plenty of leverage.

countertack103.jpg

When you turn the knife over, however, you realize just why the knife tends to veer off at a specific angle when cutting through anything extensive. This is because it's deeply hollow-ground on one side only. The opposite side is completely flat. While this makes the knife cheaper to manufacture and easier to sharpen (the most compelling reason for any chisel-ground edge on a knife, especially folders), I felt almost ripped off. No part of the original website description indicated that this was the case.

countertack104.jpg

"Hollow ground," to me, implies hollow-ground edges on both sides that meet in the middle at a very sharp point. While I can't fault the sharpness of the blade, the edge geometry really left me cold. Being sharpened on one side only -- and being deeply contoured on that sharpened side -- means the Counter Tac 1 just doesn't handle the way it should.

When it cuts even moderately heavy material (like cardboard) you can feel the difference as the thick blade, tapering to its single sharp side, drags the edge to one side, like a car with a bad wheel alignment. This doesn't change the mechanics of a thrust, nor should it really make a difference when slashing a human being in a defensive encounter, but the difference between the look of the knife from its sharpened side and the performance of the knife in actual handling really drives me nuts.

countertack106.jpg

The full-tang, five-inch blade of AUS 8A steel ("vacuum heat treated and sub zero quenched for strength," if you care) is attached to a Kraton® handle four and a half inches long. The handle swells to fill the palm and is grooved and stippled to afford excellent traction. The integral double guard is more than ample to protect the hand from sliding onto the blade.

countertack107.jpg

The guard is also the means of securing the knife in the included Secure-Ex® sheath, as it forms a friction-fit with the mouth of the sheath. Repeated use ought to loosen this fit, but out of the box the knife is extremely hard to remove from the Secure-Ex® sheath. The sheath has holes and mounting slots to which one might attach straps or other hardware. The plastic boot-belt clip is removable but attaches quite securely and shouldn't work its way loose unintentionally (a common problem with removable clips).

countertack102.jpg

The Counter Tac 1 is an adequate dagger that could have been a great knife. On paper, it has all the features you'd want in such a knife, despite the tight sheath fit. In reality, the lopsided blade geometry married to 5mm stock is frustrating and less than elegant, effectively undercutting the inherently clean design that embodies any simple, double-edged blade.

It's not a bad knife, but it could have been so much better.

I have one,got it,took it out of the box,put it back in the box.End of story. I should call cold steel and ask them where the other half of the knife blade is. For the money,what a rip-off.

You've quoted the very reason I've not bought one, cold steel fan and boot knife fan. A step back from their older design.
Gerber MK1, a design classic, wonder why CS didn't just copy it.......:)

Last edited:
I have one,got it,took it out of the box,put it back in the box.End of story. I should call cold steel and ask them where the other half of the knife blade is. For the money,what a rip-off.

Haaa! That's great!:thumbup: You should call them and ask. Typical of CS.

I felt the same way when I ordered the Black Jack Blackmoor Dirk a couple of years back. Nowhere on the site did it mention the single hollow grind (nor that it was made in China).

It's a nice sticker, but I'm not sold on the design. This is the main reason I have not tried the cold steel version or even the new Safe Maker push daggers.

Good review. I wasn't so keen on this knife to begin with, but I'll definitely stay away now. Though I do like the "grippy" feel of Cold Steel's kraton handles, and the secure-ex sheaths seem pretty solid. As Steely mentioned, their Safe Maker push daggers are cut the same, with the blade only ground and sharpened on one side. Kinda yucky design choice.

i have to agree with everyone here - i came VERY close to ordering one of these, but noticed the flat side in a picture and was totally turned off :(

plus the handle looked a little thin for my long skinny monkey paws

phil, nice review, very helpful.

in the print catalogue there is a photo showing the backside of the blade. one of the reasons i like to read catalogues is that they sometimes give more information than websites. they are also fun to thumb through on a lazy afternoon.

Thanks for the review SP

Was going to aquire one of these as a sort of modern addition to my FairburnSykes.. Not now I think..

sorry i'm late, but this is the first time i have witnessed the lack of knowledge behind the flat side of a double edge knife, this single bevel side of the double edge knife is done the same way roman gladius daggers were made and a whole bunch if not all daggers were done back when the thing was preferred over a flintlock at close distance, that flat bottom gives the trangular bladea lot more strength than the two side bevel... it really is a stronger knife than the normal dagger or boot knife

Again the argument "it is stronger because" you can't make something stronger by removing material only lighter. A full diamond cross section would of course be stronger. This hollow backed design is better at penetration? Sure, but stronger? absolutely not.

Here in Japan traditional culinary knives are single bevel, ground on one side and very slightly concave on the Ura side.
Often mistaken for a flat chisel grind. It is considered more capable of handling a sharper edge than double bevel.
But never have I heard of it having anything to do with strength. I believe that if that were the case,
Japanese swords, which prior to 1600 often had to go up against armor, would have
developed as single beveled weapons. Which they did not.
If there is some scientific basis to this claim, I would love to read about it.

I wouldn’t prefer a chisel ground blade for general utility, but I don’t see anything wrong with them in defensive knives like these.

A chisel grind (or single bevel) certainly allows for a sharper/thinner edge, and I’m not concerned with making symmetrical cuts when I’m in a fight.

Back