Cold Steel Folders from 1999/2000 - What Do I Have Here?

Hello guys, longtime reader...first time poster here -- nice place you've got here.

I recently inherited two knives which I believe are from 1999/2000.
I like both blades, but since they look untouched I don't want to use them if they are collectible.
Does anyone know steel material or any specifics on these two:

1z1xkpe.jpg

kf124h.jpg

witxz4.jpg

xaui52.jpg

Thanks everybody!

Steel is VG-1.

The Gunsite is collectable.

The other is a standard Voyager.

Thank you Ankerson. I suspected it was a different steel than my newer CS folders, because they look more polished. I don't think I will use or carry either one, and I'll probably just keep them. Thanks!

Neither one is VG1, both are AUS8a. They are both older, collectible, early Voyager models. Both are Japanese in country of origin. Nice knives. The Gunsite Voyager is a special Voyager with slight modifications to spine and half serration, for the Gunsite training facility.

In addition; teh Gunsite came in Large (4" blade) and Extra Large (5"). Your's looks like the Large model because that's a Medium (3") Voyager tanto.

Neither one is VG1, both are AUS8a. They are both older, collectible, early Voyager models. Both are Japanese in country of origin. Nice knives. The Gunsite Voyager is a special Voyager with slight modifications to spine and half serration, for the Gunsite training facility.

Hi Crom - thanks for your reply - after seeing the conflicting opinions of steel material, I called Cold Steel with the model numbers. Much to my surprise, a human actually answered my call, and one of the employees stated that these blades are VG-1 steel.

It's good to know that both are semi-collectable/discontinued models. Does anyone know what these things go for in auctions or other collector sales?

Hi Crom - thanks for your reply - after seeing the conflicting opinions of steel material, I called Cold Steel with the model numbers. Much to my surprise, a human actually answered my call, and one of the employees stated that these blades are VG-1 steel.

It's good to know that both are semi-collectable/discontinued models. Does anyone know what these things go for in auctions or other collector sales?

Those have the older molded clip, they are not VG1. The VG1 knives came to production much later. Just a heads up, post this in the Cold Steel forum here, much more knowledgeable people than myself there. I have a medium Voyager tanto like yours with a blade that's actually marked VG1 Japan. To my knowledge the AUS8a blades were not marked.

Let's move this to the Cold Steel forum. As Spartan00 has already stated, there can be no discussion of value at your membership level.

Mine (metal pocket clip) is marked VG1stainless, Japan, as well. I have an older, unstamped Japanese XL that I am assuming is AUS 8. I have seen both of your knives advertised as AUS 8. The VG1, and Aus 8 metals look pretty identical. The VG1 may be a little grainier. I think the bottom line is if it is not stamped you have to assume that it is the cheaper steel, not the opposite. I have a new Rajah2 that I was told; by the seller; that it was the new BDI steel. It also came with the new model number on the box. The blade metal is not stamped on this one either. I wish I could easily verify that it was not the older stonewashed AUS8. The finish on the older versions looks different because it is a satin finish, not stonewashed.

Last edited:
They switched to metal pocket clips in the 2000 catalog.

With the exception of a AK-47 that I have, They usually don't mark the AUS-8A on the blades.

Last edited:
Cold Steel folders like these two were made by G.Sakai for Cold Steel. The plastic clips indicate that they are well before VG-1 which was used only
in 2007. Such knives have "VG-1" on the blades. If not they are Aus8. In 2008 Cold Steel changed manufacture from Seki Japan to Taiwan. But the maker of VG-1 didn't allow export, so Cold Steel had folders made in in Taiwan with imported "Japanese Aus8". This remained until the steel type change last year.

Thank you Ken - the company gave me bum scoop on that one, because the rep stated from the model numbers that they were VG-1. Either way, they are nice looking, strong knives.

You're welcome. The problem with trying to get info on vintage models from any manufacturer is that most of their employees weren't born yet when those models were being made. Those older Seki made CS folders have a collector following.

Thanks again Ken - I'm more of a fixed and liner-lock folder guy myself, and I can't make myself like the spine-lock style of folder. They always feel like they will fold into my fingers if I grip them too tightly.

Thanks again Ken - I'm more of a fixed and liner-lock folder guy myself, and I can't make myself like the spine-lock style of folder. They always feel like they will fold into my fingers if I grip them too tightly.

You gotta try one of the triad lock models then.

Back