Cold Steel Ghurka Kukri VS. Battle Mistress

Hey Everyone,

Whattaya think? I've owned a Cold Steel Ghurka Kukri for around 2 years now and absolutely love it. The chopping ability of this knife is incredible. My buddies and I take down trees with this animal.

Well, to give a little background on me, I started collecting knives when I was around 12. At first I bought anything I could find, then migrated to buying fantasy knives, now I buy things I can use and do some damage with. I am 20 now and love knives with a passion. I've always heard of the reputation of busse knives and can't wait to participate in it's excellence with my first busse.

I am currently in the process of saving money to purchase my first Busse which I have decided will be the Battle Mistress. I like the overall look of the knife and appreciate a nice LARGE knife. I am definately going to be comparing the Kukri and the BM-E when I get the BM-E but I wanted to hear what you guys had to say.

Have any of you guys dealt with a Cold Steel Ghurka Kukri? What did you think and how did it compare to any busse or specifically the Battle Mistress.

From one knife addict to another, I thank you for some buddies to talk knives about when many don't care.

Blade-Addict

Hi there! Welcome to the forums! Nothing can beat a Busse in almost any catagory! Thanks to INFI, this steel in truly in a class of it's own! I owned a Cold steel ATC khukuri and it was a good strong knife but still falls way short to even my A-2 steel heartII let alone a blade of INFI! Buy a Busse and you won't believe what you've been missing!

If you like khukuris stop by Himalayan Imports forum. They know more about khuks than anybody and produce the best khukuris in the world, there khukuris outperform the Cold steel khukuri by a wide margin...I know, I have used them for over 10 years now and have over 40 of them in my collection.

Do a little homework on your favorite Busse and have fun with it!:)

Blade-Addict:

Hi, welcome to the Busse Forum!! :) GREAT first choice, the Battle Mistress is my favorite knife. Have never owned a Cold Steel Kukri but have heard many people praise them.

As for my Mistress, she will chop and chop until you are worn out first :)

Since the Ghurka Kukri is so much larger a knife (and heavier), I would say that it would probably out chop the BM. That is, however, not to say it is a better knife.

Because of the BM's superior steel, you can thin down the edge to improve performance in slicing, chopping, cutting etc., while still maintaining a durable edge.

Also, the BM is lighter, has a better handle (IMHO), and its steel is just out of sight of Carbon-V (or 1095 or 0176-C or whatever).

Plus, the BM can still chop very well, and for longer, due to the E handle and its lower weight. It's also easier to carry.

Will Kwan has used the Cold Steel khukuris before as well as traditional desigs so you might want to drop him an email. The ATC version from Cold Steel usually gets very high praise on the forums, more so than the current versions. Personally, on that type of blade I would prefer a convex grind with a hollow relief as found on traditional khukuris to prevent excessive wedging.

-Cliff

Back