Cold steel help

Hey guys it's me again, the noobie who is just getting into knives. I have recently been looking at cold steel and I really like 2 of their knives. The recon 1 and the code 4. I don't know what one to buy. I like the normal sized recon 1 because it's strong and has good tactical capability. I don't know if 4 inch is too big. On the other hand I like the mini recon 1 but is it too small. The third knife is the code 4 I like I because it's 3.5 inches, my favorite length. How well is the code 4 as a tactical knife. Also is it good for medium to hard use. Please help

What sort of "tactical" use do you have in mind? Or "hard use" as compared to normal, day-to-day cutting tasks? I have the Recon 1 tanto and spear-point models, with the latter being the more useful shape for most purposes. Both are well-built, and arguably suitable in more environments than the Code 4 due to the handle material. But whether its my fairly small hands or general lack of coordination, I cannot deploy either knife with consistent speed using the thumb studs. In a tactical situation, I'd be hosed.

Prior to the 2015 steel upgrade, I would have considered the Recon 1 and Code 4 knives to have a slight advantage over similarly priced competitors due to (in my opinion) a superior locking mechanism. Now, the steel is better than before, but the price increase puts Cold Steel in more expensive company.

Hard use as in wilderness or outdoor tasks. Tactical as in defending my life with the blade

I'm not talking about the new steel. The versions I'm getting will be AUS 8

code 4 is very rugged,but for tactical uses I think it maybe a little slippery due to the smooth handle,difficult to one hand open(may be able to overcome with practice)and for chores it's very thin profile you can definitely feel it in the hand just a little uncomfortable,those are my experiences with the code 4 that I have

Have a Code 4 tanto that I made into a spanto. Really like it, blade can be opened and closed with 1 hand. It comes out easily, no need to wrist action. The grip is fairly thin, and seems like it would be slippery when wet, especially with blood. I don't have a Recon 1 yet, just ordered a full size clip point. Reviews are very good. I do have an American Lawman, which I would think has a lot of similarities. On it, the blade opens well, but not nearly as easily as the Code 4. I sanded the G10 as it was coarser than I wanted and I'm very happy with it now. I really like the thickness of the grip which I think is pretty similar to the Recon 1. It's not slippery even after I sanded it. I also took off the coating and really like the stone washed finish of the blade that was under the coating. Both have AUS8 blade steel and it can be easily sharpened to shaving sharp and holds the edge reasonably well. Hope this was helpful to you.
Bob

Hard use as in wilderness or outdoor tasks. Tactical as in defending my life with the blade

In that case, I would definitely opt for a Recon 1 as a hard use knife, as the G10 handles are pretty effective in wet conditions. I would choose the spear point first, followed by the drop point, for outdoor use. I feel that there are other knives more suited for tactical use, mainly because of my difficulty opening the Recon 1. I don't experience that with other knives, although I usually carry slightly smaller knives for EDC purposes. In any case, I prefer that a defensive folder have both thumb studs and a flipper for true ambidextrous deployment. My favorite, despite being a lower-end steel (8Cr13MoV) is a Kershaw RJI in the discontinued black non-serrated blade variety.

I'm not talking about the new steel. The versions I'm getting will be AUS 8

Make sure you shop around. A lot of retailers are now sold out of the AUS8 versions, but many of those that still have them are blowing them out. I bought mine on the Exchange here, but at a price in line with the cheapest I found for sale elsewhere. I personally am plenty satisfied with AUS8 and will happily buy those versions.

Last edited:

i spend a lot of time in the swamps and woods and i have never felt any folding knife or normal sized fixed blade was going to help defend my life. this is what proper (right caliber if we are worried about large predators? i've never needed a knife to defend myself from a human in the swamps or woods either?) firearms are for.

on topic the 4" blade isn't that big and since you want it for defending your life you are going to need more blade to hit vitals than less blade. although a 4" blade is not really big enough in that regard. opt for a cheaper bigger fixed blade and then get the folder you would use the most and like the most. i own both the recon and code 4's in a couple versions. the recon i prefer, but the code 4 is a great and big enough for my liking in edc size. very thin and very useful for what it is.

Again, not everybody has acces to firearms and guns. People who live outside the US (like me) in "non-firearm" countries or who don't have the money/means/desire to get and carry a handgun. Just saying, you tend to be so narrow minded about gun ownership and use.

As for the OP's question, my experiences with the Recon 1 make me recommend it a lot more than the Code 4 for most uses. It's really grippy and strong, the lock won't fail on you. I like AUS8, and find it easy to sharpen and get razor sharp. I use the Clip Point version, it excels at most EDC urban tasks (Zip-ties, boxes, bricks and some wood, plastic...) and it is reliable and durable.
The coating wears off really quickly, though, and the steel will have to be touched up every week or so, depending on usage.

It'd excel at slashing and piercing an opponent, but I tend to carry bigger folders (Cold Steel's six-inchers) for that purpose.
Have in mind, the clip will most likely be super stiff and the G10 might rip and tear your pockets. The lock may have to be broken in with use and time.

But, in the end, the Recon 1 is a great every day folder and has been famous for many years because of something! I don't thing you'll be disappointed.

Well, not everyone can LEGALLY carry 6" folders that you recommend either. Are you being narrow minded? Where I live 3" folders are max and don't even think about carrying a fixed blade of any length concealed.
To OP, if the Recon 1 is legal, that's what I would recommend.

Again, not everybody has acces to firearms and guns. People who live outside the US (like me) in "non-firearm" countries or who don't have the money/means/desire to get and carry a handgun. Just saying, you tend to be so narrow minded about gun ownership and use.

As for the OP's question, my experiences with the Recon 1 make me recommend it a lot more than the Code 4 for most uses. It's really grippy and strong, the lock won't fail on you. I like AUS8, and find it easy to sharpen and get razor sharp. I use the Clip Point version, it excels at most EDC urban tasks (Zip-ties, boxes, bricks and some wood, plastic...) and it is reliable and durable.
The coating wears off really quickly, though, and the steel will have to be touched up every week or so, depending on usage.

It'd excel at slashing and piercing an opponent, but I tend to carry bigger folders (Cold Steel's six-inchers) for that purpose.
Have in mind, the clip will most likely be super stiff and the G10 might rip and tear your pockets. The lock may have to be broken in with use and time.

But, in the end, the Recon 1 is a great every day folder and has been famous for many years because of something! I don't thing you'll be disappointed.

If you had read my whole post you'd see i addressed that in a suggestion of a bigger fixed blade. Rather than assume wrongly........just read my whole post first. Thanks.

Back