Cold Steel Magnum Tanto

I finally decided to get a san mai 12" tanto. I have always wanted a sword but I am untrained
so I figured I would get something small. This is my 4th purchase of a Cold Steel recently.
I bought a tiger claw for a friend and have a Frenzy and a aluminum 6" ti-lite.
Fit and finish has been so good I decided to try the big tanto. I hope the sheath does not dull it
and if it does I will have a kydex or wooden one made.

I can't wait to strap it on...it should be epic.

I have wanted one for a very long time. I have seen nothing negative about them either. It will
be my first san mai blade as well.

Depending on where you got it, it may have an older sheath that dulls.

My understanding is that they have addressed the issue in new sheaths, but old stock is still being sold from dealers.

One tip, is to put pressure on the spine when drawing to assure the edge is not being pressed against the edge.

Honestly, that is good advice for any knife in any sheath with a singe edge.

I've had a Kobun and Safemaker III where the sheaths were fine.

I've also had a trialmaster in San Mai where the sheath was not secure ex, so no issues there.

Be safe, and enjoy!

:) More difficult to carry , but greater cutting power than shorter versions .

Superior reach , leverage , velocity , and kinetic energy . :eek:

Great fighting knife ...enjoy ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I just recently bought the Magnum Tanto IX in San Mai. Although I wasn't too happy about the small blemish it came with on the blade on one side, ultimately I decided it wasn't that big of a deal and kept it instead of sending it back. Those big tantos are scary awesome blades!

I received my knife and unlike my other Cold Steel knives it would not shave. It had a poor edge.
I stropped it tonight and now it sort of shaves. I just ordered some 12" stones and a sharpener base to
hold them sharpmaker style so I can get it screaming sharp. Once I get the new sharpening system I will report back.
I use a sharpmaker and a strop now which is fine for smaller blades. Not so cool for 12 inches!!!

Aside from the poor edge, fit and finish is excellent+ and I love it. It is serviceable now but...I want it sharper.

I have heard the sheath is hard on the edge. Do any of you know where I can score a leather one for carry?
Thanks for any information you have!

I just ordered some 12" stones and a sharpener base to
hold them sharpmaker style so I can get it screaming sharp.

What is this base you speak of? I've been thinking about making one for my larger DMT stones because I love the way the Sharpmaker works and I'm not that great at freehanding. I can make it work but it's never as consistent as the Sharpmaker. But if there is something premade for bigger stones that isn't too expensive but works well I might be interested.

I finally decided to get a san mai 12" tanto. I have always wanted a sword but I am untrained
so I figured I would get something small.

12" is small? Damn, I feel SO inadequate. :( My biggest blade is a Tai Pan (7.5"). I did have a BK9 for a while and traded it off. I'm sure you'll be happy with the Magnum XII. It's not a katana, but I'd call it a short sword for sure.

I bought a Spyderco gauntlet and the galley 5. The gauntlet is a 40 degree inclusive
and the galley is 20...for thin kitchen knives. The stone in the galley fit in the gauntlet
and are much longer. The area behind the edge it too thick to use it though.
I am going to use an edgepro to reprofile it to 40. Once this is done the sharpmaker style
will be great for touch ups.

so I figured I would get something small. This is my 4th purchase of a Cold Steel recently.
I bought a tiger claw for a friend and have a Frenzy and a aluminum 6" ti-lite.
Fit and finish has been so good I decided to try the big tanto. I hope the sheath does not dull it
and if it does I will have a kydex or wooden one made.

I can't wait to strap it on...it should be epic.
With all the CS hoopla going on, once the price for the XII went sub $190.00, I bought one too. The knife looked great, but it got STUCK in its sheath.

Back