Cold Steel New Logo - Different quality, factory/production method?

Hi all,

Has anyone here observed this from Cold Steel's new 2015-2016 folder models(especially the XHP ones)? Cold Steel has recently started using the new logo("Cold" "Steel" with different height and "steel type" on bottom left while "Taiwan" on the right), and along with it, i can also see very noticeable differences in the production quality within the same model between new one and the old one.

I've bought dozens of new 2015-2016 models(3 Code 4s, 4 Lawmans, 3 Recon 1s, 2 Swift II, 2 holdouts etc...) and i got a mix of new/old logo for some of them. This observation is very consistent and it makes me wonder if Cold Steel produced them with different factory or via different method?

Here are some observations:
1. The biggest differences are the blade. The one with new logo has a much crispier(sharper) corners, while the old one(even with XHP steel) has more rounded corner. This is particularly noticeable along the blade spine and the area of the tang right above the semi-round cutout that contacts the triad stop pin. I suspect that CS may have moved away from stamping the blade?

2. Also for the ones with new logo, especially those model with saber grind(e.g. Code 4 or any tanto model), the "spine" aka the flat part of the blade(anywhere other than the edge/swedge grind) has pronounced satin grind lines parallel with the edge. The old logo has much rounded grind that is perpendicular to the edge. This shows that they probably use a different kind of(or maybe started introducing) surface grinding.

3. Finally the overall blade grinds look much more precise and crisp while the same model with old logo has rounded grinds showing less precision.

I'm guessing the new logo models will eventually replace the old one, but depending on your luck, you may still get the old stocks of the new models from online retailers. IMO the one with newer logo has much higher production quality. Retailers may try to send out the older stocks so if you really care about this, i would recommend checking with dealers or even visit physical store before purchasing.

I have also had to return a few knives to CS due to some F&F issue, and from my experience, if I send back knives with old logo, CS always replace with old logo as well. However, my warranty experience is limited here so it may just be a coincidence(s).

Dear Cold Steel Rep, would be nice if you could jump in to clarify/confirm/debunk this?

EXAMPLE - Using Code 4 Tanto since the changes are most obvious there, IMO.

Example Old Logo(this is Aus8 model, but the XHP old logo looks the same), notice the blade spine and the grind lines are rounded:

13259582_230476943998877_756105033_n.jpg

Example New Logo, note the parallel grind line along the spine, and a all the lines are crisp:

13266676_968140916618031_1652928220_n.jpg

Last edited:
Another example with old logo, notice the partially cutoff "XHP" at the bottom of the blade:

12070897_1689005394668174_1595286930_n.jpg

Example Code 4 tanto with newer logo(front). This is my knife, so i can tell you for sure this is the newer version(got it last month). Also note the spear point model behind, it's the XHP version with old logo(got it in 2015) and it has a much rounder grind line. The quality of F&F is definitely different:

13129833_777562025707396_952112113_n.jpg

Last edited:
I've got code 4 clip point with the new logo, and it does have a parallel grind on the flats.

I've also got a Recon 1 tanto, Recon 1 XL clip point, Espada G10 large, and an Espada G10 XL. They all have the new logo and they all have perpendicular grinds. While they're not quite as crisp as the code 4, they're very close. In fact, the grinding is so fine, it's nearly a mirror finish.
you really have look closely to see the grind lines.

I had one of the 1st gen Recon 1 tantos combo edge in CTS-XHP (before they were marked with the blade steel), and I can confirm a step up in quality with the latest iterations.

I've got code 4 clip point with the new logo, and it does have a parallel grind on the flats.

I've also got a Recon 1 tanto, Recon 1 XL clip point, Espada G10 large, and an Espada G10 XL. They all have the new logo and they all have perpendicular grinds. While they're not quite as crisp as the code 4, they're very close. In fact, the grinding is so fine, it's nearly a mirror finish.
you really have look closely to see the grind lines.

I had one of the 1st gen Recon 1 tantos combo edge in CTS-XHP (before they were marked with the blade steel), and I can confirm a step up in quality with the latest iterations.

Actually you are right, my lawman and recon 1 has perpendicular grinds for both new and old logo. Looks like the parallel grinds only appears on the satin finished blade(e.g. Code 4, counter point). One exception is the Swift, but that was a completely new model and only comes with new logo.

The new logo still shows much more precise blade grind and crisp edges. The back edges of my new Code 4 tanto/clip point is so sharp that i can almost cut my thumb if i rub it too hard. Great for fire steel i guess. :cool:

Back