Cold Steel ProLite: Hall-Of-Fame Grand Slam

I've been carrying a ProLite clip point exclusively for about a month straight and I am beginning to really appreciate this knife not only as an amazing value but actually a very, very good EDC folder. Forgive the awful photos please!

Pocket clip
With 3 screws in a triangle pattern holding the clip in place as well as the fixing plate sunk into the handle this clip is not going to slide or move at all! I have really begun to love this clip. It holds tight but is the right shape to easily attach to the pocket edge with no fuss or second tries. Excellent!

f9a2a219875026c1d3503293e7d789de.jpg

Blade edge, sharpness and retention
The grind on the edge was slightly more obtuse on one side than the other when I first bought it but after a few sharpenings on the sharpmaker the profiles are much more even than before. A few strops and it's back to hair shaving sharp, and a few swipes on the sharp maker and it will whittle hair. It will chop boxes with ease but won't hold its edge as well as S30V or M390. Fortunately, it could be sharpened easily on a rock if I were stranded in the wild. Just an added bonus, the swedge is dead even on both sides and adds just a little bit of flair...very nice looking! The stonewash will scratch easily but does a decent job hiding them. Of note, it's smoother than my M390 mini grip was! Blade centering? Absolutely perfect--icing on the cake!

68bef1179d80efeaa2d5e06470f52c4f.jpg

e06271207dbc688d41f39bc0867237df.jpg

b2b72bf55f7a145431e02c59d8ecbcd6.jpg

0a6e96aed5a1011503b4cee6d0d23ac5.jpg

Weight, balance and scales
Since there are no liners, just thick slabs of FRN, weight is held down to just 3.2 ounces. With the index finger held in the choil just aft of the blade tang the knife will balance perfectly. It feels light but sturdy. I can squeeze the FRN handles inward slightly but not very far at all...they'll never touch. The texture is grippy but not overdone and the jumping, while chunky and minimalistic, actually does hold the thumb a bit, more so than my recon 1 did. I think this is because the FRN sticks up a micron above the metal lock bar. FRN does not easily scratch in every day use but I suspect it would if dropped on concrete or purposely scraped with something metal.

ee87f26d2a70d44c59e45d56372e5251.jpg

d4e7fe8f54854ab4bc9a5d264b26fe39.jpg

283689589b4bd9893a3fae0ac3ad165b.jpg

Lock mechanism
The dead horse that is the triad lock has been beaten bloody, but its still noteworthy how strong it is both in strength and sturdiness. Zero blade play up, down, left or right, and virtually zero chance of it closing on your digits unwontedly, even when being abused (this IS a $30 folder after all). For the first few weeks it was difficult to open and close, but worked in quickly and is now easy to actuate. The thumb stud is well placed and grippy enough for easy use.

68dae76b13a5d10a303f52cd30f9ed24.jpg

ce7bd269d726a18b99fbcfa48e2cbf42.jpg

ee2df812237cfa0da63b6d1b7a0483f0.jpg

All in all
At $60, this would be a bargain knife, especially if compared with the various FRN clad knives in this segment (you know which ones). But at $30 this is beyond bargain territory, this is a hall-of-famer grand slam from cold steel. Thanks for looking [emoji18]

f8c75bdd132b224b312b67987e72e0e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope they make other color scales too! I'd go ape for a British racing green ProLite, or a Laguna seca blue, or maybe a traffic cone orange? Blacks great and all, but variety is the spice of life!

Thanks a lot rambo! Doesn't seem to be many fans of this knife. Not sure why, other than the overall dislike of CS as a company...

Very nice! Well written and to the point :thumbup:

I just hate the overall dislike and general bashing in this forum that's seen towards Cold Steel.
People complain about "sharpened prybars" and "overly thick folders". Well, this slices as well as any of my Spydercos

20160314_083711_zpswmvfl01g.jpg

They say clunky ergos and weird, thick handles. In a recent thread, this one got the most votes as the "best folder in hand"

20160305_174530_zpslrfajkfn.jpg

You always hear "heavy, thick scales" and "uncarriable in the pocket". Screw that:

20160321_104716_zpsdzdtr87z.jpg

Many complaints about "lower end steels and crappy coating" and "cheap materials" for the price. Yeah, here you have some for under $100.

20160322_112117_zpslifq0beo.jpg

So yes, I am still excited to try the ProLite and se how it beats most of its competitors for the price, in materials, grind, lock, ergos, weight for the size ratio, etc.
Not a fanboy, just a honest knife guy

Great review!

Very nice! Well written and to the point :thumbup:

I just hate the overall dislike and general bashing in this forum that's seen towards Cold Steel.
People complain about "sharpened prybars" and "overly thick folders". Well, this slices as well as any of my Spydercos

20160314_083711_zpswmvfl01g.jpg

They say clunky ergos and weird, thick handles. In a recent thread, this one got the most votes as the "best folder in hand"

20160305_174530_zpslrfajkfn.jpg

You always hear "heavy, thick scales" and "uncarriable in the pocket". Screw that:

20160321_104716_zpsdzdtr87z.jpg

Many complaints about "lower end steels and crappy coating" and "cheap materials" for the price. Yeah, here you have some for under $100.

20160322_112117_zpslifq0beo.jpg

So yes, I am still excited to try the ProLite and se how it beats most of its competitors for the price, in materials, grind, lock, ergos, weight for the size ratio, etc.
Not a fanboy, just a honest knife guy

Great review!

Thanks! Couldn't agree more. For a simple strong sturdy reliable knife you can't beat Cold Steels value.

I really like the nearly rust-proof German stainless steel.
I am glad that I purchased Med, LG, XL clip point, AUS8 Voyager models before they were discontinued. They were/are the ultimate value, work knives for me.:thumbup:

I really like the nearly rust-proof German stainless steel.
I am glad that I purchased Med, LG, XL clip point, AUS8 Voyager models before they were discontinued. They were/are the ultimate value, work knives for me.:thumbup:

I'm sure there are plenty of threads on here comparing edge retention to sharpening ability, but if you think about it the ability to easily sharpen a knife anywhere could be considered an advantage over edge retention, especially in survival situations where a sharpener isn't available. Rust proof and easy to strop back to hair shaving sharp after chopping boxes....not a bad thing!

Thanks for the write up, but I just can't get into that 4116 steel. AUS8 is my base line, but to each their own.

Thanks for the write up, but I just can't get into that 4116 steel. AUS8 is my base line, but to each their own.

I love AUS8...it's easy to sharpen and holds an edge decently well. But to be honest I think 4116 gets a bit of a bad rap, especially on this blade because it holds an edge decently well cutting cardboard and is so easy to strop back to sharp. It's also very rust proof and in this application the stonewashed finish looks fantastic!

However to each their own.

I remember when the Original Voyager was a grand slam 30 dollar knife. . .

Now the closest thing those of us who loved and grew up on the Voyager is the Pro Lite. And while the current model they call Voyager is a great knife, it's an entirely different knife altogether.

Wow. Irony.

I miss the REAL Voyager.

Please give it back.

I remember when the Original Voyager was a grand slam 30 dollar knife. . .

Now the closest thing those of us who loved and grew up on the Voyager is the Pro Lite. And while the current model they call Voyager is a great knife, it's an entirely different knife altogether.

Wow. Irony.

I miss the REAL Voyager.

Please give it back.

Do you own one? Wouldn't mind some pics! What were the specs?

I gave mine to my girlfriend years ago. Like 2004.

All I have now is the new one you see on CS website, but Google will bring up the old designs, as well as a certain auction site.

Pretty damn close to the Pro Lite, but with better steel.

That serrated voyager is pretty bad ass. Pre triad lock right? Is it still pretty durable? What is the steel?

That serrated voyager is pretty bad ass. Pre triad lock right? Is it still pretty durable? What is the steel?

Mostly AUS8. The VG1 models are stamped on the blade. I have one of each. The handles are a little slick IMO. They slipped out my hand a few times when I flicked them open. I stopped flicking most of my knives years ago, especially lockbacks. Even so, I still think they are a little too slick for self defense.

Not TriAds, but strong enough, ahead of their time and reliable locks.

CAM02689_zpso5lqzbhk.jpg

Mine never failed and only two developed some slight lock rock

20150723_192309_zpstecgrz9s.jpg

I always liked older ones better. They are much more comfortable to carry, slimmer and thin profile, much prettier and easier to sharpen in my experience.

CAM02858_zpsljchjrc8.jpg

Steel might be AUS8 but it is feels different than on the newer models.

20160211_163859_zpsvbmba2x9.jpg

Opening is smooth as silk, more so than on my newest ones, but maybe its due to age. I have no issues with slipping, I find them just OK for a secure grip.

20160211_164542_zpsf0vlxkti.jpg

These are my favorite old folders, sadly discontinued!:

20160220_174331_zpsqrbw2wwd.jpg

Last edited:
Cold steel signatures swedged clip point is awesome!

Back