Cold Steel Recon Tanto

Howdy! I am brand new to the thread and was wanting to know some opinions on the Recon Tanto. I love this blade and looking at purchasing it tomorrow. Any pros and cons I need to know about before I do so? Thanks & God Bless!

it's a fighting knife.

the tanto point is designed for a snap cut.

it's a little thicker at the point than a dagger which means the point is less likely to bend or break though it will take more force to penetrate in a stab than a dagger.

being a single edged blade, it can be used for cutting work but a normal shaped edge with a curved belly will perform better.

Maybe a little late....I have the San mai recon tanto. came razor sharp and its a beautiful knife. Only complaint is the handle could stand to be a little longer. Feels like it needs a half inch on the back, and I have pretty average size hands.

Ahh, yes... the Recon Tanto. Had one way back when I was in the Navy, when I used to haunt the mailbox waiting for the latest Cold Steel Special Projects catalog to show up.

Bought mine as a "Factory Second" for a good price. Do they still offer factory seconds?

The blade shape really didn't offer me much as far as general cutting chores. Got rid of it because I thought the SRK would be a better cutter. I do know that it could take a hell of a beating. The rubber handle was comfortable.

I couldn't tell you what kind of fighting knife it would be... I'm not a knife fighter.

Maybe a little late....I have the San mai recon tanto. came razor sharp and its a beautiful knife. Only complaint is the handle could stand to be a little longer. Feels like it needs a half inch on the back, and I have pretty average size hands.

I 2nd the "longer handle" opinion. Got the SM3 version as well and can't help but think a full 5in handle would made the blade much better. Fit and finish is superb (for SM3 version). Forward balance (tip heavy), unlike the more neutral SRK. The Magnum Tanto II which basically has the same blade might have a more neutral balance due to the longer (5.5in) handle, steel hilt/bolster/pommel i.e. a more nimble blade? Either way, the Recon Tanto is a better bang for buck and would unhesitatingly recommend it. Go for the SM3 version if you want a really beautiful blade.

If you like the blade design and looks, the recon Tanto is a typically CS solid knife, a real beauty to look at. I had a Sanmai Recon Tanto that I sold to buy something else. While this opens the door to inevitable "Tanto- American Tanto" debate, understand that it is basically a fighting knife design. In that respect it may not serve your purposes as much as other blade designs.

Ooh another point, if you are looking for a wider tanto blade, you might want to look at the Warcraft series or the Leatherneck Tanto. The Recon Tanto is a bit narrow (~1.25in at ricasso)...

Back