Cold Steel Shovel

I have for a long time carried a WWII entrenching tool in my truck. Recently I ordered a Cold Steel Special Forces shovel to see how well it works. I received it Friday and took it hunting with me over the weekend. This is one nice little shovel. Not quite as have and sturdy as the old entreching too, but it is solid, and does not fold. I used it to dig a foot space in a cramped hunting blind, and to break up and chop soem dead limbs for said blind and for a fire. It worked great in everythign I tried. The sharp edges chopped as well as any tool this side of a full sized ax I have used. I think someone could do a lot worse than to include on of these in there vehicle.

------------------
Lee

LIfe is too important to be taken seriously. Oscar Wilde

Lee,

I agree with you.

I keep a cold steel shovel in the back seat of my truck for getting unstuck, chopping, digging, etc. It is packed in a milk crate with some other equipment and bungee’d in, with a blanket over the lot. I would carry the equipment in the trunk if I had a trunk. As it is I am still running a risk it will hurt me should I roll the truck or become involved in an automobile accident.

When I used to live far out in the woods, and was always the first one out in morning, I would carry a chain saw with me to clear trees out of the road. It would take a long time to chop through them with a shovel.

Back