Cold Steel Stockman/Buck 301/Shrade 80T

About 45 years ago I lost my first pocket knife. It was a bone handled stockman. Well, I have looked everywhere and cannot seem to find it. Hence, I have given up hope and plan to break down and buy a replacement.

I recently read a few threads here on the forums which spoke highly of the Buck 301 and the Shrade Oldtimer 80T. I am also considering the new Cold Steel Stockman. Has anyone had any experience with the Cold Steel knife yet?

There's a review in the current (November!) Tactical Knives. Haven't seen one yet in Edmonton, but the going price is around $80 Canadian (roughly $50 US). I recently picked up an Old Timer 80T in good old 1095 steel and am quite pleased with it. Not as fine as my old worn-down Boker King Cutter, but it'll do.

Well, I stopped in at a local gun shop yesterday to look at their knife inventory. They had both the Old-Timer 80T and the Buck 301. They were reasonably priced so I bought them.

I thoght I'd give you my initial impressions. In every area I can think of to compare the knives, the Buck outshines the Old Timer. It was much sharper out of the box. The fit and finish were much better. The Buck feels smooth in my hand while the 80T had some sharp edges around the bolsters. The design of the Buck seems superior too. I am no expert on multiple bladed knives but the Buck's blades all come out of and return to the handle straight. One of the Old Timer's blades must cross from a scale to the center of the handle in order to rest between the other two blades.

I will no doubt carry both knives from time-to-time, but I think I like the Buck a bit better at this point.

Back