How To Cold Steel sword mod question

BlackKnight86

Say my name, cheesers!
Hi, guys!

I have a Cold Steel 1917 saber, and I'd like to turn it into a cutlass (minus the clip point). My thought was to just cut it/file it to a rounded angle at the desired length, then sharpen the edge to a point.

I don't want to harm the temper, so I was planning on doing it by hand. Is that doable for a person with no real experience, with that steel? Or would it be better to send it to someone?

You might not like my answer, but I suggest against it.

The fuller is almost full length. Even if you're skilled and know what you're doing, shortening a fullered blade almost always looks half-assed.

Plus, you'll have to shorten the scabbard.

I'd sell it and buy the cutlass. It's $175 on Amazon, and it fluctuates. Was less than. $160 a week or so, ago.

They stopped making that model some time ago, if I remember right. Bound to be someone out there who wants it.

Thanks for your response. I hadn’t thought about the fuller....I can see that that would be a problem.

I actually have both of the Cold Steel Cutlasses...I just wanted another. What I’ll probably do is keep the saber and look for another source.

(I’m a big cutlass fan!)

Buy a real one at auction, the Dutch Hembrug klewang is exactly the same, but better made, the US Milsco version is made based on the exact same blueprint. They're much cheaper than CS too. CS calls it a 1917 Cutlass, but it isn't. Save your money till one come along.
My Solingen Dutch Klewang No. 1.:
dutch klewang.jpg

Buy a real one at auction, the Dutch Hembrug klewang is exactly the same, but better made, the US Milsco version is made based on the exact same blueprint. They're much cheaper than CS too. CS calls it a 1917 Cutlass, but it isn't. Save your money till one come along.
My Solingen Dutch Klewang No. 1.:
View attachment 1329624
I would love one. Keeping my eyes peeled, but I haven’t seen a decent one I could land yet.

I know the feeling: Been on the prowl for a real 1796 LC sabre, just missed a few. Bought a CS one even tho some online talk abut their lack of distal taper - which turned out to be untrue. Not a bad sword as a place-holder till the real thing comes along. CS doesn't sharpen them as well as i'd like. I did get a military issue indian sabre that essentially is an 1796 with an 1821 hilt and a slightly wider forte (just misses fitting the CS 1796 LC scabbard.) The Indians hated the brit 1908 cavalry sword, a straight thruster only blade like a Patton. They came up with the 1821 steel guard hilted 1796 blade version, their 1910 were forced to take the brit 1911 one tho. the Indian one feels better in the hand than the CS 1796. Sadly missing the scabbard...
Indian Pattern Sabre 1910 IWM.jpg
Being an ex-USCG Ossifer, I have a weakness for naval weapons, especially Coast Guard ones.
Here's my UK Mounted Coast Rider's Sword from the very early 19c. Cast Steel ribbed grip like a cutlass, it has it's proper scabbard.
19C British coastguard mounted trooper sword 02.jpg

For the heck of it, the UK 1804 spectacle cutlass I'm refinishing - the red stuff is primer. Will be original black soon. It has a ribbed steel grip like the rider sword, tho with some fore-aft grooves as well.
1804 Spectacle Trafalgar Cutlass 01.jpg

A tidbit of esoteric trivia, The 1804 cutlass has a slot near the pommel for a sword knot. British Royal Navy did NOT use sword knots on cutlasses. They did however purchase them thru a centralized Ordinance supply chain, run by the Army. Army Logistics Officers insisted that all swords must have a slot for a sword knot, so the navy got a slot whether they wanted one or not. Which they didn't.

Last edited:
I know the feeling: Been on the prowl for a real 1796 LC sabre, just missed a few. Bought a CS one even tho some online talk abut their lack of distal taper - which turned out to be untrue. Not a bad sword as a place-holder till the real thing comes along. CS doesn't sharpen them as well as i'd like. I did get a military issue indian sabre that essentially is an 1796 with an 1821 hilt and a slightly wider forte (just misses fitting the CS 1796 LC scabbard.) The Indians hated the brit 1908 cavalry sword, a straight thruster only blade like a Patton. They came up with the 1821 steel guard hilted 1796 blade version, their 1910 were forced to take the brit 1911 one tho. the Indian one feels better in the hand than the CS 1796. Sadly missing the scabbard...
View attachment 1330332
Being an ex-USCG Ossifer, I have a weakness for naval weapons, especially Coast Guard ones.
Here's my UK Mounted Coast Rider's Sword from the very early 19c. Cast Steel ribbed grip like a cutlass, it has it's proper scabbard.
View attachment 1330341

For the heck of it, the UK 1804 spectacle cutlass I'm refinishing - the red stuff is primer. Will be original black soon. It has a ribbed steel grip like the rider sword, tho with some fore-aft grooves as well.
View attachment 1330356

A tidbit of esoteric trivia, The 1804 cutlass has a slot near the pommel for a sword knot. British Royal Navy did NOT use sword knots on cutlasses. They did however purchase them thru a centralized Ordinance supply chain, run by the Army. Army Logistics Officers insisted that all swords must have a slot for a sword knot, so the navy got a slot whether they wanted one or not. Which they didn't.
Nice collection! I like the 1804...I have a replica (Universal, I think) that I got from Kult of Athena. It’s decent, but I’d love a good original.

Although I was Army, I love cutlasses. Always have....goes back to my Golden Age of Piracy obsession days!

Dutch klewangs are fairly often up for sale on a Dutch auction website.
Not only the Hembrug made ones, but also versions made by Eickhorn and other Solingen based firms.
Even silver miniatures/letter openers.

Dutch klewangs are fairly often up for sale on a Dutch auction website.
Not only the Hembrug made ones, but also versions made by Eickhorn and other Solingen based firms.
Even silver miniatures/letter openers.
Do you know which site?

Back