Cold Steel Tuff Lite for Camping

I was looking at it and it looked pretty cool with the "slice off the top of a circle" design. I know it was meant for everyday utility, but I would like to know how it would do when camping and outdoors. The price point seems great and the AUS 8A steel seems okay but I would be interested on how it preforms in the outdoors.

Thanks for all the help!

PS. Does anyone know the CUTTING edge of this knife? The blade length is 2.5" but I don't know about the cutting edge length.

I have a blade that's similar in dimension [2.75" blade] but it's not this exact knife. In fact, mine's a fixed blade. Mine's also 1095 carbon vs. this being AUS 8A [which I have no issues with AUS 8 at all, just making the comparison]

Mine's good as a neck-knife and for all around-small camp chores, small game processing, light whittling - but very little else.

Looking at the Tuff Lite, I'd guess at the cutting edge being about 2". Usually the total blade length is measured from tip to where it inserts into the scales/handle. It appears to have about a 1/2" section where the blade stamping is.

You need to decide what your knife has to do vs. what you want it to do. That should dictate the purchase you make.

Last edited:
I love my Tuff Lite, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a camping folder. I find Wharncliffe blades to be really useful for cutting cardboard, cordage, plastic wrap because the tip tends to grab material where a knife with more belly can slide off it a bit. For woods use, I want something that's at least somewhat comfortable in an overhand grip for chest lever type cuts, and a blade with some belly will give a longer cut through wood, helping you remove more material. If you try that with a Wharncliffe the tip can bind and stick in the wood.

If you can wait a bit, Cold Steel has the upcoming Finn Wolf that is purpose designed as an outdoor folder or, if you want it now, the Hold Out 3 looks like it would be comfortable in a variety of grips and would do well as a camping folder.

The Voyager clip point, either 4" or 5.5" would be good as a camp knife. I would suggest one of their carbon steel fixed blades for more general use though. The GI Tanto isn't much more expensive than a Tuff Lite.

If you can wait a bit, Cold Steel has the upcoming Finn Wolf that is purpose designed as an outdoor folder or, if you want it now, the Hold Out 3 looks like it would be comfortable in a variety of grips and would do well as a camping folder.

I like the hold out 3

Back