Coldsteel warrior o tanto vs Crkt Hisshou

The old "What are you going to do with it?" comes to mind. The CRKT will be a better pizza and melon knife. Both will accumulate filth in the grip coverings but will be less noticeable with the CRKT. Neither look appropriate to me as a do all utility piece, so durability in a secondary consideration. I vote the CRKT as most generally useful but would only own one as a gift. The Cold Steel has more aesthetic quality to me and would be a more likely buy if I "had to have" a samureye knife (it's simply more pretty to me).

My tanks include an old BMF and a DeLeon subhilt.

Cheers

GC

You don't think the coldsteel would be a utility piece? I would think the 5/16" of carbon steel would be excellent for that.

If you are planning to actually use it a lot, you would probably want to learn to dissasemble the handle and re wrap. Then you can occasionally take the handle appart and make sure the pin is still in good shape.

Personally, I like the CS better. The steel is thick and tough. I have no idea what the steel on the CRKT is.

If you are planning to actually use it a lot, you would probably want to learn to dissasemble the handle and re wrap. Then you can occasionally take the handle appart and make sure the pin is still in good shape.

Personally, I like the CS better. The steel is thick and tough. I have no idea what the steel on the CRKT is.

Apparently the steel on the Crkt is comparable to O1.

Anybody else? I'm kinda in a hurry because I wanted to get the blade by the end of the week. So any info or suggestions would be appreciated .

Since they're so similar to each other I'd go with the Cold Steel, simply becuase Hisshou(Certain Victory) is such a stupid name and they even have the Kanji printed on the blade...

Seriously who names a swrod Certain Victory...:barf:

Cold steel has issues with QC and can be a little hit and miss. I suggest you also look at Kris cutlery

I ordered the Hisshou it will probably be here by the end of the week. I want to give it a chance.

I guess it's a little late, since you ordered the CRKT, but the question still lies within the intended use.

So far, the only indication you've given is the word "utility". And I'll tell ya right now, neither of those are made for daily tasks or camping. The size will throw you off, but these are NOT large knives, they're short swords.

They are swords because they were designed around combat. For better or worse, they're engineered to perform the task of stabbing and cutting into flesh and bone. Because of this, their dimensions, geometry, weight, and balance aren't built around shopping into solid, static objects like wood. And, if you're intending to put a blade this size to "utility" uses, I kinda have to assume chopping into small trees will be involved.

Don't get me wrong, the Cold Steel would definitely take that abuse and politely ask for more. Those blades are FRICKIN TANKS. I kick myself every day for getting rid of my CS O-Katana. That bastard would slice though 3" saplings with ease. Their blades are overbuilt, not for practitioners, designed to live up to the abuse put forth by people who don't understand what a sword should and shouldn't do. The blade will SURVIVE use as a camp knife, but it won't be very GOOD at it. The fittings, though, are a little cheap. Tsuka cores are often cracked and need replacing or epoxying.

Can't speak for the CRKT. I've had a few of their folders. Carried a Titanium scaled M16 EDC-size for years. The steel wouldn't hold an edge incredibly well, but they were a good value for the money.

It's a shame you went ahead and made your purchase. It doesn't appear that you have a grasp on what you want a blade for, and what blades are made to live up to those expectations.

Since they're so similar to each other I'd go with the Cold Steel, simply becuase Hisshou(Certain Victory) is such a stupid name and they even have the Kanji printed on the blade...

Seriously who names a swrod Certain Victory...:barf:

Personally, I base my blade-purchasing decisions solely on what the maker/company names the model. All other information is meaningless. :rolleyes:

I guess it's a little late, since you ordered the CRKT, but the question still lies within the intended use.

So far, the only indication you've given is the word "utility". And I'll tell ya right now, neither of those are made for daily tasks or camping. The size will throw you off, but these are NOT large knives, they're short swords.

They are swords because they were designed around combat. For better or worse, they're engineered to perform the task of stabbing and cutting into flesh and bone. Because of this, their dimensions, geometry, weight, and balance aren't built around shopping into solid, static objects like wood. And, if you're intending to put a blade this size to "utility" uses, I kinda have to assume chopping into small trees will be involved.

Don't get me wrong, the Cold Steel would definitely take that abuse and politely ask for more. Those blades are FRICKIN TANKS. I kick myself every day for getting rid of my CS O-Katana. That bastard would slice though 3" saplings with ease. Their blades are overbuilt, not for practitioners, designed to live up to the abuse put forth by people who don't understand what a sword should and shouldn't do. The blade will SURVIVE use as a camp knife, but it won't be very GOOD at it. The fittings, though, are a little cheap. Tsuka cores are often cracked and need replacing or epoxying.

Can't speak for the CRKT. I've had a few of their folders. Carried a Titanium scaled M16 EDC-size for years. The steel wouldn't hold an edge incredibly well, but they were a good value for the money.

It's a shame you went ahead and made your purchase. It doesn't appear that you have a grasp on what you want a blade for, and what blades are made to live up to those expectations.

I know what these blades are for and maybe I was giving off mixed signals because of the utility comment. I just meant that if pressed I am sure these knives can do some utility and especially the really thick coldsteel model. I don't plan on abusing them though but I just like strong, over built blades. I will let you know what I think of the Hisshou when I get it.

I just meant that if pressed I am sure these knives can do some utility and especially the really thick coldsteel model. I don't plan on abusing them though but I just like strong, over built blades. I will let you know what I think of the Hisshou when I get it.

While strong, the Hisshou is NOT overbuilt. It has a very thin edge designed for cutting and piercing soft media...it is not a general purpose utility knife as in using a machete. I know this from a) owning and using one, b)many talks with James Williams the designer about the purpose of the Hisshou.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

neither knife is meant for utility use. both are task-specific, and that task is cutting through organic tissues. unless you're going to war, or plan on stabbing your dinner, get a knife meant for utility as utility knife.

neither knife is meant for utility use. both are task-specific, and that task is cutting through organic tissues. unless you're going to war, or plan on stabbing your dinner, get a knife meant for utility as utility knife.

The o-tanto has a more "utilitarian" edge and the Japanese used their tantos much as we use a camp knife.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

The o-tanto has a more "utilitarian" edge and the Japanese used their tantos much as we use a camp knife.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

granted, but there are better blade profiles for utilitarian use these days. i'm not saying don't get one; i have the Dragonfly 0-tanto, a Hissatsu, and a few other knives that i have absolutely no use for. they're incredible knives, i just wouldn't use them to dress a deer, open an envelope, spread peanut butter, or clean under my fingernails.

granted, but there are better blade profiles for utilitarian use these days. i'm not saying don't get one; i have the Dragonfly 0-tanto, a Hissatsu, and a few other knives that i have absolutely no use for. they're incredible knives, i just wouldn't use them to dress a deer, open an envelope, spread peanut butter, or clean under my fingernails.

Be AWESOME for spreading peanut butter OR Cheezwhiz!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

These are both about the same thickness, 5/16 and .26 inch. The cs might be just a hair thicker but negligibly so, I wouldn't imagine either is any more durable than the other. Honestly I prefer the sweep and practicality of the hisshou.

Bump on old thread..but, sometimes I think people beat around the bush when it come to the reason they buying a specific tool or weapon like the O Tanto. I would love to have this blade for defense, I walk my dog at night alot, and it would be nice for general self defense. I would have no problem slicing into some would be thug or gang low life. My two cents. Its what this blade was meant to do, cleave into bone and flesh. not cut milk jugs in two and video it.

Back