Collaboration: Good Knife Co. / David Mary Custom - S.I.T.R.E.P.

Here’s just a few comments on the sitrep knife designed by Chad and David.
First off very comfortable with the finger groves and slab handles, would love to see a little more meat and contouring though. With around a 6” blade it covers just about anything except chopping larger material. Nice weight so using the breaker end is effortless to get good penetration but would like a rounded breaker end with a lanyard hole. Nice having the spline with the squared off section making it nice for mag sticks. All in all this is just what Chad envisioned, a grab and go do anything blade with enough weigh and curvature to make a deadly self defense tool. Nice job Chad and David, in Abe-l this is going to be a great tool.

Thank you for the comments Martin! Chad and I discussed making a few version with slightly thicker scales for those with larger hands. I think we'll still have a few with 1/4" scales as well. Contouring is certainly doable, and even though the camo pattern on the G10 handle material we have on order for it is only about .020" thick, there is no hard and fast rule that says it has to be present on the entire scale. The G10 is a translucent G10, and we are planning to have black liners underneath, so if I contour the handle at the index finger and the pinky, removing the camo pattern at those locations, I anticipate the resulting look will be not only attractive, but also quite unique.

We actually have made some slight tweaks to the design of the blank, including elongating the striker pommel, slightly deepening the forefinger groove, and moving the thumb ramp forward by about 3/4". Here is the updated image:

Sitrep.jpg

Last edited:
By the way, I have a lot of images on my computer, from the times I have updated the design, so stand by for Chad to chime in on the actual placement of the lanyard hole.

Help us bikerector bikerector , you're our only hope!

So the lanyard is going to end up near the top of the handle, I just haven't decided if we put it in the exposed pommel or in the handle and use a lanyard tube. I'll probably have to make that decision this weekend but I have the supplies in hand already to cover both options.

As far as handle thickness, several things there. One, the final blade stock with be slightly thicker so that will help. Two, we ordered some thicker micarta along with a lot of liner material for big handed fellas or those that like thicker handles (like myself). Three, we are probably going to have one made in 1/4" thick AEB-L (actually two, but I'm claiming one for testing :D) as a special offer simply because I'm curious how this design would handle in the thicker stuff and if it would tend to be more "survivally" in character. It's going to weight a lot more, that's for sure. Lastly, despite the handles being thin I personally didn't find them uncomfortable and it kind of reminded me of the feel of the BK62, thin but comfortable and it indexed well, as Ethan would say. That's not for everybody and we're going to address that with some different options and contouring of the sides but I wouldn't expect it to be too extravagant.

The handle materials arrived today so I'll start spec'ing that out and see what combinations we go with. I have 6 different handle combos now which doesn't include the different pin choices we have.

woodysone woodysone Thank you much for the honest review of both good and bad aspects of the knife. That will certainly help us fine-tune the design a as we get ready to finalize the blank and what we do afterwards with the actual grinding of the knives.

We have a good update! We finally settled on the design and put in the order for steel. I think we're going to have around 15 for the 1st run of these, but we decided to skip out on the more robust 0.25" option for now as we wanted to focus on the original concept to see how well people take to it before offering a wider variation. I think we're going to have about 6 different handle combinations between the liners, scales, and pin selection and tube selection.

There is a bit of a lead time with the steel and heat treat so I think we're still 2-3 months out but we're moving along nicely.

So a choice in handles, this should be fun.;):)

Bling it up baby! We ordered a few handle materials that should be really fun including one that is a layered G10 and rubber material. As long as it shapes well, there will be at least one available for sale (I'm taking one for testing).

You and I both know knife time is play time!

We've received an update from our order with Jarod. The S.i.t.r.e.p. blanks have been cut.

The first series of Sitreps in AEB-L at RC 61 is nearly done. These are black paper micarta and camo G10. Awaiting stencils so I can put the mark on, and a little bit of finishing up left to do. Get in touch with Chad, aka bikerector bikerector if you want one of these. These ones will be ready to ship this week (pending the arrival of the stencils, which were shipped to me last week). One of the four with carbon fiber pins is already spoken for, but the rest are available including the one with stainless pins.

IMG_8053.JPG

One of the custom blade shapes is now spoken for, along with a regular Sitrep in OD green micarta. These two are almost ready to ship, and should be once the stencils arrive. The Good Knife Co. maker's mark will appear on the show side of the blade and David Mary Custom maker's mark will appear on the right side of the blade. There is a little bit of clean up left to do on these, so don't mind the splotches and blotches.

Remember to contact Chad (bikerector) to get in on one of these Sitreps before the first run is sold out.

IMG_8081.JPG
VZIA8783.jpg
WSRR5134.jpg
CJUW5898.jpg
FNZV5172.jpg
FYIH7136.jpg

Here's a wip pic, after hand sanding handles. And as you can see, I'm out of onions.

IMG_8216.JPG

Ps: pic is a bit outdated as I hand sanded some more after this.

Back