Collectible knife storage question

Hello All, I need some advice. I am starting to build a decent collection (for me anyways) but have no idea how to properly store my more valuable knives.. I keep these separate from my users but want to make sure they stay mint and NIB. How should I store and protect them. Basically right now they are in the original boxes with all original paperwork. I live in the Northeast where it gets very humid in the summer. One more thing. I would like to store my collectibles with the original boxes because the box is important itself. Bottom line is I would like to safely store my knives in the original boxes. How do I do this without having to worry about them for a long time, (ex: 6 months) without having to worry about them? Any opinions or advice. Thank You,
PeteG

p.s. with my users I just make sure they are cleaned (if need be) after using and then I put a drop or two of eezox on the edges. I have not had any issues with rust or whatever with those. I'm not sure of how others feel but Eezox has worked very well for me. I know it seems silly but I'm kind of worried about putting it on long term. I just do not want to discolor a blade or anything. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I am interested in knowing the same thing. I put a little Hoppe's in the pivot and maybe wipe the blade with a lightly oily rag. That seams to be how production knives come. My thought was if they survive in a warehouse for an extended time, they can survive in my basement. Also I have a lot of knives that I just store the blades for, such as Griptilians. I switch the blades out of different scales from time to time, but in the meantime I have four or more just blades wrapped in a heavily oiled rag inside a baggie. Will that hurt the blade over time? Am I wrong in how I store knives not in use? I hadn't thought about the metal discoloring. Overall most of my knives are satin or stone washed blades and if discoloring is an issue, it could affect most of my collection.

I would say that as long as the humidity inside wherever you are storing the knives are at is low and the blades are oiled you should be fine. I am not familiar with eezox. Is it an actual oil or a solvent based lube?

One thing I hear from many knife guys is not to store them in their sheaths, especially if they are leather. Hopefully someone can chime in on that.

Back