collections thread- mandau

shav can you give me a hand on this?

just picked up a pretty broken up mandau was curious what this paper tag might say: "do not wash" ? "only use in emergency"?

Last edited:
It says "Send to ndog immediately or the gods will be vexed and will raise the oceans and drop molten lava on thou" Oh triangle box and two day delivery is fine...:D

I am about to do a major fire sale of my HI products to purchase more antiques-- will post some in exchange rest will go to the other site. operation get money starts now!

few more pictures of recent deals

and my first dayak paddle

refer to the signature to reason this out?

Last edited:
I really like that last curved one Gehazi, very nice! If I wasn't already so far down the road with kukri collecting, I might just started collecting mandau too. Some fascinating features on these. Thanks for posting

my first kampilan!

also if anyone can read japanese, please help me out on that label -- is it just a bill of sale or a label for sale? at the top of page-- can't search the text because it is a picture and since japanese have no idea how to write the characters I see

Last edited:
quite some great additions. Unfortunately I am not going to be very useful in translating that label. remember I pointed out that I can't advance in my Art of choice unless I can take a test in Japanese and I can't do that. I did take a stab at it, but I didn't recognize the iterations as being any of the couple thousand kanji I recognize. So they might be obsolete or just characters that are not in common usage enough that I recognize them. though I think you have the picture sideways ;)

All the new blades are great, but there are a couple truly special items I really love, Especially the paddle!!

That's a really nice kampilan! I used to wonder why Philippino blades were so dang expensive, but after handling one I can see why. They're really masterful swordsmiths! You can see the India, Chinese and Indonesian influence on their craft

def blue, I really love the cultures of steel among the archipeligo, very much influenced by the massive metal working skills of india and china, I like wondering how it all started , and unfolded from each place--

and thanks shav for the attempt, that paddle is one of my favorites too, really love those wood carvings when ever I can find them. I almost have to hire a japanese translator to do it lol-- this is all I can find anyway when I search around, people offering to translate for a few dollars per word

I will have the blade soon so I can better see the characters and try to look them up individually ; my hope is that it is a label from the ww2 era occupation, some kind of war booty-- but it is probably just a sale label.

I have tried a couple of times jw, but one has not found me yet ; some really good blades, and I look forward to my first one, whenever that time comes!

Here are some pictures of mandau I never had very good pictures of, took some while doing my sales pics

one of the first mandau I bought-- also one of my favorites, also probably one of my oldest

A pair that I am sure are from the same area

Last edited:
Back