COLLECTORS.....? new, old?

Which ever it is, the eBay description is charming. It is listed under
"OLD hide the knife chinese.....Tibet" (honestly)

"It is a traditional handicraft with a long standing reputation of Tibet to hide the knife, history is long, the style is unique , Herdsman Cang Zu's welcome deeply. In herdsman's life, is the important tool that must be prepared against to hide the knife. It can defend one self , can invade cattle and sheep , can make the tableware which eat the meat again. The men and women,old and young of Tibetan all carry it, have sense of safety from heart , give somebody a kind of might sense from appearance, Demonstrate young tiger's brave national makings .Size: 18 4/5”L, 3”W,wt:500g. The handle of Tibet knife is carved Tibet tradition design, the body of the Tibet knife have two blue bijou. It is a one in a thousand fine work, has very high reserve value.

NO RESERVE! Serious bidders"

(OK, aside from the confusion about "reserve," I have no idea if this is tourist junk, or something worthwhile. It was at $15 when I saw it, with 6 days to go. While I was grinning at the language use, it occured to me that I don't speak or write ANY chinese, and maybe I should be a little less amused.)

Kis

:rolleyes:

We're all in this together.

I'm watching this one carefully...

Looks like tourist junk. Note how they are not showing the blade steel, and the fittings look average. Common to see good detail to fittings, but no good shots of junk blade.

Visit Chinesearms.com to see what you've been missing. Alex Huangfu and his collection rock!

Keith

Link and maybe pic of the knife with blade.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=886984918

tong045a.jpg

Uncle Bill,

"have sense of safety from the heart" is particularly evocative.

Whether the knife is good or bad, the description gives me a sense
of the value and importance...perhaps as viewed by the seller...of the knife to the attributed folk life. This something our developed world may not often appreciate, and certainly that I, in America, have to extend my imagination to savor.

Yvsa, thank you for posting the picture.

Kis:rolleyes:

We're all in this together, somehow.

Originally posted by Kismet
Uncle Bill,

"have sense of safety from the heart" is particularly evocative.

Whether the knife is good or bad, the description gives me a sense
of the value and importance...perhaps as viewed by the seller...of the knife to the attributed folk life. This something our developed world may not often appreciate, and certainly that I, in America, have to extend my imagination to savor.

Yvsa, thank you for posting the picture.

Kis:rolleyes:

We're all in this together, somehow.

You're welcome Kis.:)
Tourist model or not I wouldn't mind having this knife in my collection. Sometimes an old tourist model is worth a bit unto itself, same as knock offs.
I have an old horn handled counterfiet, knock off, Rodgers with the "Double Cross" on it instead of the Star and Cross, it's marked as a number 6 Rodgers and the blade shows lots of wear from sharpening which means to me that it was well used over time. The old blade still takes a scary sharp edge.

I received an email for a Japanese customer, Akio, sometime back thsat told a story in English, his second language, with much more eloquence than I could ever muster. When it comes from the heart it shines thru no matter the language.

Back