Collectors-What's your story?

Kohai999

Second Degree Cutter
Started using and “collecting” knives around the same time, at about 14 years old. Woodcarving, cooking, Scouting/hiking/camping, hunting….and a Summer spent working in a slaughterhouse bleeding calves, all required different knives for use. For woodcarving, it was whatever I could get my hands on from Exacto knives to chisels, Scouting was the carbon steel bladed classic Camillus Scout knife, which I still have, cooking was a range from classic chef’s to paring knives, and calf work required a stiff boning knife with plastic handles for ease of cleanup.

Amassing all these knives for use got me to acquiring and putting some up that I just liked the looks of, like the Case Toothpick….but the one I desired most, and wound up also EDC’ing was the Buck 110 when I was 15. Never really had any big-dollar custom knives, nor did I know about them at this point. Was a hayseed, living in upstate NY, nobody ever really encouraged my interest in knives as a kid.

My friend Mike Kleid made me go to the NY Custom Knife Show with him in November when I was 19, and it was all over from that point forward(I'm in my 40's now)….

Never had a year since without at LEAST one custom knife making it my way. Because of early experiences with knives based upon need and use….collecting really started out as being “about the knives”, rather than being about the makers. It is that way to this day, in that I have to love the knife first….and will get to being friends with the maker at some point(hopefully) down the line. I think many makers appreciate this. I don’t suck up to them, appealing to emotions or an illusion of friendship. Some makers are very good friends of mine, spending time at my house, traveling together….but there is always a separation between the work, and appreciation for it, and appreciation for the maker as a person.

I have a few different types of collections that make up my knives. I collect Gerber Silver Knight knives, Spyderco Police, Benchmade 710 Axis lock, Microtech Socom, as well as other production knives including Khukuris. My “main” collection represents 50 American makers, two knives from each, mostly under $1,000 each, A(Andrews, Russ) to Z(Zscherny, Mike), some are fixed blades, some are folders. There is some overlap within the main collection, but lately, have been focusing on 5 ½” Chute knives, and then I have also been focusing on the work of Burt Foster for the last 5 years. He’s the real deal, at the end of my time collecting, I hope that Burt is regarded as highly, if not more so, than Don Fogg, who I consider to be one of the top 5 American knifemakers thus far. In the last 5 years, I have also been collecting and using custom slipjoint knives and kitchen knives(which as a younger fellow, I could not understand, and frankly, thought was stupid....turns out, I was stupid, big surprise.:D)

I think that collectors should be critically viewed by makers and fellow collectors for their eye, ability to explain what they are seeing, and integrity, as well as loyalty. For me, loyalty, both ways is key, if you don't have it, you are dead to me.

That’s my story….what is your story?

Last edited:
I have the classic story which hear about alot. My father gave me a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife, and I started whittling sticks at a young age. From then on I started grabbing as many knives as I could get my hands on. I'm still young, but at about 13 or 14 I went to a local shooting range when I heard that they had a guy selling knives. He introduced me to the world of maker's knives, or customs. He had a lot of McHenry autos, and other nice stuff. He was good friends with Hank Rummel so I met hank and got my first custom which was a Crawford Combat tanto folder. They took me down to the Ny show and I met a bunch of makers.

I don't have experience hunting and hardly even any with camping. I am more of a collector then a knife user, but have found tons of joy carrying some of my expensive folders and using them for light tasks.

Here we say "Ooh-Wah", Steven, you have begun a thread
that will surely be full of interesting stories!!!

This IS going to be exciting! Thanks!

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

Enjoyed your story Stephen. :thumbup:

I can't say quite when the interest started - as far back as I can remember I was interested in knives. As a kid playing cowboys and indians, I never wanted a toy pistol - instead I used a plastic knife and a cake-icing-spreader from my Mom's baking cupboard as my blade and tomahawk and ran screaming a high-pitched war cry through the neighborhood.

Got a small pen-knife from my great-uncle when I was about 9, and really cherished that thing.

Came across an issue of Blade at a second-hand book store in the late '70's and was hooked. It would be years before I could find issues on the bookstands, but I started writing to makers for brochures (remember this: send $2 to Joe Maker, Dept. BL, Smalltown, Arkansas?). To my surprise they mostly wrote back. Got a nice hand-written note from some guy named "Jerry Fisk" - wish I could find it now.

Bought my first custom knife in Dallas on a trip with my Dad circa 1981.

My first forged blade was by that same Fisk guy - an Arkansas Camp knife - that I subsequently sold to fund the purchase of an engagement ring for my (girlfriend - then fiancee - and thankfully, still wife).

Made my first knife under the tutelage of Dan Farr - still amazed that I could actually do it. Still can't believe how much work it is. Still surprised at how thoroughly I enjoy all that work.

Dan was also the subject of my first published article.

I tend to prefer the label "knife enthusiast" to "collector", because in real terms for me, it's more about the people, the relationships, the experiences gained and the knowledge aquired - than it is about the knives themselves.

That's my story.

Roger

COOL STeven.

My story also began MANY years ago as I ALWAYS loved knives, guns, tools and hand crafted objects since as far back as my memory goes.

My uncle (fathers brother) served during WWII and when I was a kid, we had posession of a few items he brought back and gave to my father. One was a Japanese officers sword, another was a German luger and lastly an M3 bayonet with green plastic scabbard. I got to handle those objects (sword was wired into the metal scabbard for safety and no ammo for the luger), but I was under 10 during that time. When my uncle realized they had become somewhat valuable, he took them back, but my interest was piqued by having them for the time we did.

Also, at a young age, an elementary school "best friend" had an incredible collection of Revolutionary and Civil war era rifles, bayonets and associated militaria that we "played" with. Thinking back, it really was an extraordinary collection. No idea what happened to it, as i've lost contact with him many years ago.

Most males carried pocket knives back then and I recall having a small Robeson (no idea what happened to it) that I cherished. Back in the early to mid 1960's hardware stores all seemed to have the Case displays full of their line of knives. I had a few of them but never what could be called a collection. More items I don't have and wondered where they went?

In the late 60's the Buck 110 became THE knife that I had to have. I went to the local sporting goods store that had the FULL Buck line-up, as well as Gerbers and Pumas. For the same price as the 110, I was awed by the 119 which was the same price. After buying that, I soon realized that I could NOT walk around town with that on my belt, so I also bought a 110.

I wasn't in scouts, nor was I a hunter, but used my knives for typical things guys use them for. I did do a lot of overnight, weekend camping and those Buck knives were my prized posessions for those activities. I used to throw my 119 into trees that we would scratch a target onto, which was fun. I wouldn't say I was a knife collector, but I always loved knives.

In more recent years, once I began using the internet, and having the money to purchase things I desired, my collecting began with the plethora of internet knife stores. I purchased all the production knives I desired and then found custom knives through ebay and one of the internet stores which I purchased many knives from.

After subscribing to Blade and participating in Bladeforums, I was ecstatic to find other knife lovers and the wealth of information available. I joined the local knife collectors association (NCCA) several years ago, and attended the Blade show for the first time in 2008.

In my teens, I enjoyed various crafts, such as making things from deer antlers, leatherwork, and semi precious stone cutting. Engraved guns always intrigued me, and in Blade I saw GRS's ad to learn metal engraving. Knowing my job was on the chopping block soon, I decided I wanted to pursue things I enjoy vs. getting exploited by greedy corporate bureaucrats!

Since I loved knives, I noticed one of GRS basic engraving classes was being given by Mr. Steve Dunn, whom i'm sure many of you know. I'm still working towards getting to the level I desire.

That's my story. Sorry if it got a bit long:D

Peter

STeven, I'm very interested in knowing more about your collection. Are you customs really 50 American makers or are you just guessing/estimating? Do you prefer more traditional models from many of the makers? Example being your Hanson trapper. Or Mike Zscherny.. You don't seem as interested in modern fancy folders, but maybe I am wrong..

STeven, I'm very interested in knowing more about your collection. Are you customs really 50 American makers or are you just guessing/estimating? Do you prefer more traditional models from many of the makers? Example being your Hanson trapper. Or Mike Zscherny.. You don't seem as interested in modern fancy folders, but maybe I am wrong..

The "main" collection is exactly 50 American makers...that was my goal, and I have a spreadsheet and knife sheet on each maker....this is to be my "legacy" collection, if you will. But I have knives from probably over 100 makers as the "Steven Garsson" collection is viewed as a whole....these are also documented.

I prefer knives that appeal to my aesthetic and are also very representative of the maker's work. Two bowie style fixed blades from Russ Andrews, two Wootz pieces from Al Pendray, two liner lock folders from Bob Terzuola, one tactical(ATCF), one fancy. The attempt has been to find knives that appeal to me, and collect from makers that are "important", that the collection represent some of the best work available at that time period, a physical snapshot if you will.

If you want a copy of the Excel spreadsheet, PM me, and I'll send it to you.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Although my knife collecting started just 6 years ago with my brother in law giving me a book called "De Kleine Messen Encyclopedie" (the small knives encyclopedia) I've been fascinated with mechanics and other hand made "things" all my life. I'm a city dweller by birth so I don't hunt, shoot or use knives besides for the regular chores.
As I mentioned 6 years ago my some what flaky brother in law gave me this book for my birthday. At first I thought "what the heck do I need a book on knives for", but after a week or so I started reading the book and examining the pictures. One of the makers represented in the book was Arpad Bojtos and what I saw intrigued me so much that I started a search on the Internet. I came across a few forums like this one, websites from makers and internet dealers and I was instantly hooked.

I wish I had discovered knives earlier on in my life because, although I'm old enough (55 years young), I missed out on the 80's and 90's and some of the legends (Buster Warenski, W.W. Cronk and Hugh Bartrug to name a few).

My first real custom was a hunter with a scrimshaw on both sides made by Geatan Beauchamp, which I sold a few years back. My taste in knives has been rather eratic in the first years of "collecting", but I believe I have found my niches of the knifeworld in the last couple of years. My main focus now is on Goblin folders, with some sidesteps in to "regular" folders and daggers (my first real love, but problematic due to new knife legislation that's almost in place).

A few of my favorite makers are Larry Fuegen, Wade Colter, John White, Josh Smith, Scott Slobodian, Arpad Bojtos and Roger Bergh. Not just because they are great makers but more so because they are great persons, fun to talk to and a credit to their profession.

I hope to collect for a great many years to come and be part of this amazing knife community.

Marcel

Last edited:
My interest in knives eminated from my use of them to deter attacks on my person. I didn't need much of a brain to realize that the sharper the blade, the quicker their ability to disable - so all three knives I carried were kept razor sharp, but occasionally needed to be wiped off from use.

From there, I began collecting.

My interest in knives eminated from my use of them to deter attacks on my person. I didn't need much of a brain to realize that the sharper the blade, the quicker their ability to disable - so all three knives I carried were kept razor sharp, but occasionally needed to be wiped off from use.

From there, I began collecting.

Are you trained in a formal style or self-taught?

Are you a stabber, a slasher or both?

What knives were you carrying for SD, and what types/makers do you collect now, other than Curt Erickson, as that is in your avatar?

Do you carry your Erickson fighters for SD?

I always carry 3 or 4 knives, but at least one big folder that is kept razor sharp for a multitude of purposes.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Well, when I was little, my Mom would take me camping and fishing. My Mom taught me that a good knife is a useful tool. I was given my own at 7 years old. MY interest went from there. I have always LOVED knives. My interest has grown over the years.

It has been my pleasure to give my Mom some great knives, and I have given her some custom knives as well. THAT has been fun.

I have a vague recollection of being driven through the Arizona desert, holding a bandage around my left index finger. I remember looking out the window and that the world seemed so crystal clear at that moment. I still don't know what I discovered that day, but as a three year old I had no idea there was any mystery at all. The mystery builds with every passing year and draws me further and further in to this 'riddle of steel'...

The scar from that first knife wound is still on my finger, more than thirty years after I put it there; thinking that there was no good reason I couldn't help out in my parent's friends' kitchen, cutting the cucumbers laying on the cutting board beside a knife. I look at it sometimes and wonder if that was the moment my fascination with knives was ignited.

My father certainly didn't do much to dissuade me. He gave me a hunting knife, it had a wooden handle held to the through tang with a screwed on alloy butt. The guard was a little brass plate, which bent from me throwing the knife. The blade had a fuller and was about 5-6" long. He gave me that when I got started in cubs, I was probably 8 or so. He loved weapons and armour and anything that had to do with those things, at the time. His interest in those things has petered off over the years.

Around that time, my father was big into the SCA. I think he really liked the historical aspect and the social scene, but when I watched him fight- with his duct tape and rattan sword, his mail and shield, steel helmet- I always wondered about his service in Vietnam. He mentioned it from time to time and even at that young age I couldn't help but wonder if the fury I saw on that play battlefield was coming somewhere from his tours in Vietnam. I was fascinated by that which he would not talk about, and sought out similar information by watching movies.

Like all boys my age at the time, Rambo and Conan and Star Wars and stuff like that really captured my attention, and definitely breathed life into the cutlery industry at the time. Ginsu knives were a pop culture phenomenon. When I was in the fifth grade, the school I went to was way out in the boondocks. Nothing anywhere nearby, and an almost an hour bus ride from my home. But, there was a firearms and knife shop right across the road from the school! In Canada! I spent many many hours, and what little allowance I had, in that store.

Later, when I started going to high school, I had built quite the collection of miscellaneous knives, but then I started buying knife magazines. It was during this time I discoverd things like EK, One Hand Bandits and the like. I realized that there was such a thing as high quality and low quality. It was knives in part that taught me that you get what you pay for.

Working on the family farm, I made some money, so when I made the trips to Toronto to visit my father, I'd often come home with a good knife. I visiting every martial arts store and knife store I could find. I'd wander the streets of Toronto from 9 in the morning til 5 at night, which was pretty crazy in recollection since I was only 11 or 12. I got me a SOG folder and a Gerber BMF when I was 15/16. My brothers own those two knives now.

When I discovered mountain biking, my focus completely shifted away from knives. I gave them away or sold them. From that time, it was all about bikes for me. I was about 17, and it wasn't until about 5 years ago that I rediscovered my love for knives. There was a large span of time there where I had zero interest in knives. I was in school, in the city and a knife just really didn't apply much. Well, except for palette knives and chisels seeing as I was in art school.

I've fairly recently become very keen on handmade knives and it seems that I am learning something new every day. I am fascinated by many aspects of them, not the least of which is the makers of them. I've always made things, and to me, the fact that here is something that I've always loved, that I can start making myself AND there appears to be a real community to help bring new people in is a real blessing. There is a potential in all this, and I'm looking forward to finding out where all this takes me.

And that's pretty much my story.

Thanks for the opportunity you've made for those of us who care to talk about these things, Steven. I hope that this thread stays around for awhile. I'm looking forward to reading more on this topic. Very neat.

Although this is a forum which gathers interest because there are so many fantastic knives being shown all the time, it is the human element that makes it precious and interesting to me.

Around 1995 a friend of mine was into knives and showed me his Kabar airmen and a couple of vintage bayonnets. That got me interested and I started out buying cheap chinese knockoffs. It grew from there to better quality production.

I didn't get into customs until 2001. My most expensive knives up to that point were a Kabar and a Spyderco Delica. I would have balked at spending over $100 on a knife. I went to a NYCCKS out of curiosity and got the customs bug then. Started to come to this board and going to more local shows after that, and started to buy customs.

my interest in custom knives came through the quest for a decent knife to carry fly fishing

went through a series of factory knives and ended up buying a custom knife from a local knife shop not even having a concept of what a custom knife was, i just liked it. bought several chris reeve knives and a link on their site led me to bladeforums not terribly long after its formation. didnt register for years though.

bought a neil blackwood knife and a tom mayo knife due to their postings here. still buy the occasional tom mayo knife when he makes one for me. also like small slipjoints and will buy the odd one that strikes my fancy but with three kids in private schools self restraint is a must

on a side note, it is unfortunate how "balkanized" the online custom knife world has become.

on a side note, it is unfortunate how "balkanized" the online custom knife world has become.

The Balkan has split up in many smaller countries in the last decade or so but what relation has this to the online custom knife world? Please explain what you mean because I'm not clear on what you mean.

Marcel

I grew up with guns and knives......and when I was pretty young my grandfather mdke me a fixed blade from a file........here I am 50+ years later following in his footsteps!!! :)

1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (tr) to divide (a territory) into small warring states
2. to divide (a group or organization) into small factions

?

by balkanized i mean there was once a relatively limited number of places where you had to go to keep up with the custom knife world. on the whole things were congenial and it was easy for the collector to keep up and have fun.

now there are quite a few more places, often limited in their scope, and many of the places don't like each other very much. many restrict viewership and some foster an almost cult like emphasis on rank and certain behaviors. this limits the flow of information and holds my interest less and less.

others may have a different opinion and that is perfectly fine

Not sure I am a true collector , in a sense I am I guess as I tend to collect ( & use ) knives made by friends.

Ever since getting that first scout knife that gramma bought for me , I have loved knives. Basically tools in general ,but especially knives.

Never owned much more than a Buck knife , never knew much more existed until I started reading American Handgunner and Ichiro always managed to work a nice knife into the picts with the firearms. Most of the time , from what I recall , they were Allen Elishewitz's knives. This led me to go searching for these things called KNIFE shops , quickly realizing one of those Elishewitz knives was out of my range , I began to collect some Benchmade Elishewitz collaborations.

A love affair with Emersons soon followed , about the time I found....low and behold....Bladeforums and these things called Knife Shows , where like minded folks gathered to buy , sell and trade knives.

My first true custom was a Shinosky , followed by a Blackwood Henchman, a couple Simonich's , some Strider customs , an Onion , Rinaldi, a couple Folts , a Burke , a Ken Erickson and low and behold within the last year , an Elishewitz Ghost.

I was a collector , having more than I could use , and some that I wouldn't ever use. Eventually I got to one of those family crisis times when everything had to go , a select few remained , but only those that I knew I actually used , which turned out to be the ones from friends and ones I could never let go of for sentimental reasons.

Eventually the collection accumulated back up over a few years , which ended up being sold off for yet another crisis , but the same ones that survived the first time , survived the second.

I still maintain the same small collection to this day , though I did add a few more production slip joints and lockbacks. I guess I got to the point where merely handling them and looking at them didn't bring me a true " Smiles per dollar " ratio , I got way more enjoyment out of using them. Now I am honest with myself when considering a purchase , will I use this one ? If not , I pass over.

So now the Henchman gets BBQ duty and taken out to dinner for fine dining , the Rinaldi gets the brunt of the hard nasty work , the Folts slices leather on the work bench like butter , the Simonichs though used dont get beat up too bad , that Elishewitz get used a few times a week .

Once I started making knives , I had to curve my appetite to buy them , though it has led to some pretty cool trades with other makers.

Looking back there are only two that I sold that I regret and wish I had back , that first Shinosky ( small folder purchased from Gary Graley ) and a one of a kind Strider NM WP in Damascus , though considering the circumstances , the $$$ was needed more than the knives at that time.

great thread !

Not sure I am a true collector , in a sense I am I guess as I tend to collect ( & use ) knives made by friends.

Not sure that I know what a "true" collector is, John.....I'm still trying to define the difference between a collector and an accumulator.;)

Good stuff so far, guys.

Hope some of the other "regulars" will post their stories up here. Having been accused of constantly focusing on the negative as a "knife guru", was hoping to bring up some positive, and maybe shine a light on what our commonalities are, rather than the differences.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

still trying to define the difference between a collector and an accumulator

Years ago the wife would have said : Accumulator , until I sold off most to pay off some medical bills , then she realized people actually do collect these things :)

I guess it is all in how you percieve it , I don't see mine so much as a collection but more of an " aquirement of fine cutting tools ".

What I like about the forums is , everyone is able to share their collections with others.

Back