Collins made machete?

I was at one of the local flea markets and I saw the best machete I have ever seen. It was very heavy over 1/4 inch thick and about 2 and 1/2 inches wide. The blade was hand forged and you could see the hammer marks. The blade was marked Collins made and had an army mark on it. I remember reading something on Collins befor but I can't recall much about it. Do any of you guys know anything about Collins machete's? It had a price tag of $155.00. Is it worth that?

It is a nice heavy knife and had the feel of a 18 inch AK.

Thanks!:)

Collins had a reputation for producing serious machetes.
They were supposedly made out of (work hardened) old railroad tracks.
Back in the late seventies you could mailorder certain models for under $20.
Hope this helps.

mosh

I know there is a collector's market for Collins stuff, there is even a book at my local library about them. I guess the price is that high due to collector value more than user value if you know what I meen. That said, they are collectibles for a reason. By all accounts, it is the best machete ever made.

I don't think I've ever seen one but when things get into the collectible arena it's Katy bar the door. What would my no 1 Superman comic book be worth today that sainted old Aunt Winnie bought for me back in 38 or 39?

Thank you guys!

Uncle Bill do you still have that #1 Superman comic book? If you do it is worth nothing and you should send it to me so I can get rid of it for you!!:D :D ;)

Really I'd bet it is worth thousands of dollars even if it is in ok shape!!!!:)

Levine's Guide to Knives and Their Values 4th Ed. says a Collins U.S. Signal Corps (Brush Cutting) machete with military marked sheath in excellent unsharpened condition is worth $100-125; Collins U.S. Engineer's Bolo type $50-70. The 4th Edition is several years old, but unfortunately the 5th Edition was made without Bernard Levine's participation or approval and is worthless. Still, they have no doubt gone up. Collins machetes are often sold on ebay, so you might try a search there on recent sales.

Thanks for help, Berk.

Chris, the comic book disappeared long ago -- but I still remember how excited I was when Aunt Winnie handed it to me on Sunday AM 60 some years ago.

According to The Official Overstreet Comic Book Price
Guide . SUPERMAN No. 1 (1939) is valued at $26,000 :eek:

This thread has me thinking about all the things I wish I had saved:
Mad Magazine #1, my 1956 Triumph T110, and Austin Cooper S, a small piece of beachfront property in Sag Harbor and all those guns!

"What if" is sure a fun game....

I get to the Winchester Mod. 21, 12 ga. side by side that a guy sold to me in 1952 for $100. I sold it for a tidy $50 profit six months later. Winchester discontinued it, because of the cost of hand-matching the barrels. Then they brought it back six months later, at $1,200 and it has gone skyward ever since. This was a field grade, with light engraving, and probably sits around $3-4,000 now.

Yeah, "what if" I'd kept the first 5 cars I bought -- no 1 a good 1930 Model A coupe, second 36 Ford coach and so it goes.

It sounds like you came across a Collins model 1005 Engineer's Bolo. These were first produced prior to the first World War for use in the Philippines. Here's a pic.

n2s

Attachments

• collins model 1005 bolo.jpg
    collins model 1005 bolo.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 93
SkagSig40,

As with everything else, the better examples are getting scarce and a little more expensive. The $50-70 number is a few years out of date. These come up on ebay about once a month, so I would check there to get a reasonable price point.

BTW, these were produced by Collins and by another unidentified maker. The collins examples are clearly marked, the others are completely unmarked. They turn up handled in wood, or, horn (green) with a nice fully convex edge.

n2s

Back