Color Foolishness

Anybody own the same knife in different colors (with no other changes in the knife, like steel or anything else)?

I've had a Benchmade Bugout in blue since it was first released in August 2017, and it's been my literal EDC every day since. I love the knife, and I actually have really liked the blue color over the years. However, the last couple weeks I've been very tempted to buy the ranger green handle with grey blade Bugout.

It's absurd because I have absolutely no reason to buy another one. I'm not going to carry both at the same time, and I love having one go-to EDC without having to think about or debate which knife to grab on the way out the door. I don't want to get rid of my blue one because it's a great knife that I've made a ton of memories with over the last few years. But despite all those good reasons, the ranger green Bugout keeps calling my name...

Used to, and not above it if it stikes my fancy. It's all about what brings an individual happiness. I recently had a m390 and 20cv pm2 at the same time. Pretty much the same, just different color handles and blades.

My stainless Leek, plus the rainbow or “disco” Leek my son gave me.
Svord Mini Peasant with a wood handle, and one in aluminum.
Kaufman Mercator in painted steel, and Otter in brass.
Opinel 7s, one witn carbon lock ring and bolster, and a much newer one with stainless.

Generally I don’t go for that, but I have with a couple of models. If it’s something I really like, I buy multiples so I can rotate them and not wear one out. If I am buying multiples anyway might as well get different colors.

There's a difference between not having a need and not having a reason. A great reason to buy another knife, assuming you're being financially responsible is, because you want to. Besides, variety is fun and that's my primary reason for owning more than 1 knife.

I have four Griptilian models. All but one are 154cm steel.

Three out of the four are the 551
variant. One black, one tan, and one orange.

The odd man out is a black one with a different blade shape.

We won’t even talk about all the SAKs I own in different colors.

Noooo - that would be silly, and a waste of money
VdP515M.jpg

(Okay, some of those are infi, and one is a LE)

For me, color foolishness kinda goes the other way. I have a hard time truly liking a knife and carrying it if I can't get it in dark green or teal or practically incorporate the color in some way. BUT it can't be pukey olive green or lime green. My first "good knife" was a British racing green Delica. Most of my Case knives are bermuda green or hunter green bone. On my Sebenzas I tie my own emerald green lanyards. If I take the lanyard off, I end up coloring the ends of the lanyard pin with a green marker to simulate anodizing. I really like the Para 3 but not being in my color has virtually completely kept me from carrying it (so I'm really looking forward to the upcoming sprint run in forest green). I know it's very silly, but it is what it is.

I’ve done it many times. Sometimes the different color scheme can basically make it a completely different knife.

The Bradford Guardian line is a good example. Same with Chris Reeve.

Keep buying those knives you like and add more color!

Yes. I certainly don't go out of my way to get different colors.

Ontario Rat 1 (D2) in 4 or 5 different handle colors.

Delica 4 also in 4 or 5 different handle colors.

I will get more Endelas when colors come out. Great size knife for me.

I think one of the common mistakes in our hobby is allowing practicality and common sense to get in the way of enjoying the hobby for the sake of enjoyment. Damn near everyone on here has far more knives than they'll ever really need, we buy because we enjoy them. If a different color of a great knife is what's speaking to you, go for it.

Starting to sell off some of my non-carried knives but I did have several "pairs" of Spyderco Endura and Delica combos-blue jigged bone/titanium, black, purple, gray

Back