Color-ing Damascus

JTknives

Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com
I have a customer that is wanting some Damascus made for a cane topper and he mentioned he saw some Damascus that had A colerized finish on it besides normal black and silver. First thing that comes to my mind is color case hardening but I don't know how Damascus would like that and second he said the Damascus was dipped in a heated liquid. So I'm coming to you guys to see what we can dig up. The finish needs to be durable so just a simple heat oxide would not work becaus he is going to use it. Thanks guys.

I've seen some Guardian Tactical knives custom done with "Alabama Blue" Damascus. It is blue damascus as the name suggests. No idea how.

I could probably turn it purple with my super secret parkerizing method 😂

Most of the coloring as I know it has been done with heat. The steels involved can give different colors. Yes, these are very wear sensitive. Timascus is no better for this and with the right metals and smith abilities a resemblance to Timascus is possible. I too would love to read on simplistic ways to color Damascus.
Frank

Do a YouTube search for blade brothers. They do it with a hot salt bath, in either the first or second episode.

Do a YouTube search for blade brothers. They do it with a hot salt bath, in either the first or second episode.

That's exactly what I thought of when I read the post :D

I'm pretty sure it's just nitre bluing salts. It's been a while but I watched a bunch of youtube vids on nitre bluing a few years ago and I'm thinking the temp is around 500F or so (at least to get to a blue color), which is a bit hot for a typical carbon steel damascus knife, but just fine stainless damascus (at least I think), as well as anything that is simply decorative. I think you can achieve different colors at different heats with the stuff. :thumbup:

~Paul

My YT Channel
Lsubslimed

... (It's been a few years since my last upload)

Hey , John, I never ask someone to give up the "super secret" ones. i can give you all black except the nickel if you like. After etching do not wipe it or try to clean, just place the part covered in a vert strong solution of baking soda and water and leave overnite.

Frank.

Hehe, Frank, that's tongue in cheek. I figured out accidentally that copper contamination in your parkerizing bath will go from a nice deep black to this:

LDNvKUt.jpg

Blasting and new solution and...

WHdYQd5.jpg

Nitre blue (salt bath) and the super rare Baking Lacquer!

If you contaminate ferric chloride with copper it will copper wash damascus.

I forgot about that copper one, probably because on recall it happened when I didn't want it.
Frank

Back