Colored Veg Tanned Leather Suppliers?

Does anyone have suggestions where I can find Veg tanned leather that is dyed different colors or white (or processed in some other way that is friendly to knives)? Can commercially dyed leather even be done without Chrome Tanning? It doesn't need to be cow leather but ideally what I'm looking for is thin lining leather. If I can find it in white or as close to it as possible I can dye it myself.

Try District Leather Supply. They have an amazing assortment of leathers and can split to order.

Yes, drum dyed veg tan leathers are made by both Wickett and Craig and Herman Oak. Usually these are in darker colors of different browns, chestnut, black etc. I have seen white veg tan but that is more of a pasted on finish and not drum dyed. Its not what a guy would want for a lining leather.

I have been using 1/2 Oz. Deer skin for sheath lining for about 19 years and I haven't had a complaint yet nor have I had a personal experience with damage to the knives and I pretty sure it's all been chrome tanned. It's easy to work with and many colors including white or near white are available.
Regardless of what leather you use, storing the knife in the sheath for extended periods of time is not a great idea.

Paul

Thanks fellas.

Paul, are you saying it's ok to use chrome tanned leather for sheath lining? My life would be 1% better if this was the case. I currently use a pig skin lining which works great but it doesn't come in lighter colors, just dark brown. The paperwork that goes with my knives lets my customers know to never store the knives in their sheaths.

20191007_174334.jpg
Half a cow chestnut bridal leather.drum dyed 4/5 oz veg-tan. Is this what you were talking about? It's not crome-tan. Crome-tan isn't safe for steel as far as I know.

Weaver leather is having a sale till Monday.
Code: BF2019 for 20% off and free shipping for usa only. But I know all the other places are great as well.

SPD, that would be great for lots of projects but not exactly what I'm looking for in this instance. I'm looking for very thin leathers in brighter/lighter colors like white, orange, red etc. Even if I could just find it in white I could dye it the other colors I need.

SPD, that would be great for lots of projects but not exactly what I'm looking for in this instance. I'm looking for very thin leathers in brighter/lighter colors like white, orange, red etc. Even if I could just find it in white I could dye it the other colors I need.
They have kipskin. 1/2 oz veg-tan you can dye it whatever color you like.

Thanks fellas.

Paul, are you saying it's ok to use chrome tanned leather for sheath lining? My life would be 1% better if this was the case. I currently use a pig skin lining which works great but it doesn't come in lighter colors, just dark brown. The paperwork that goes with my knives lets my customers know to never store the knives in their sheaths.

Not to muddy the waters but much of the bad rap that chrome tan gets in this regard is internet armchair expert stuff. The reality is some chrome tan is safe and some isn't. But this can also be said of veg tan too.

Exhibit A:

This Ruger Vaquero has lived in this holster for over a decade. The holster is lined in a chrome tan upholstery leather.

lSd3LTf.jpg

4ThzlcX.jpg

Some holster wear near the muzzle but not a hint of corrosion or other problems from contact with the chrome tan leather. This is an Old Model Vaquero that can handle the real heavy .45 Colt loads. It was kept loaded with heavy loads and ready to go in the holster, case we had a deal and had to go quick to the backside of the ranch. Lots of lions, tigers and bears back there! Big ones. OK no tigers but huge wild pigs!

My snake gun has a couple trillion, long trotted miles, in this holster also lined in chrome tan. Again holster wear and life but no corrosion or tarnish. This gun was old and very used when I traded for it in 82. Its been a trooper.

owzKtiN.jpg

Exhibit B:

These rounds have been in this cartridge belt for a decade too. Verdigris is rampant! Guess what? The cartridge belt is veg tan. Go figure!

Ztx0nJr.jpg

CF3w0hi.jpg

Exhibit C:

This Moore Maker Trapper has lived in this Buckaroo pouch since I bought it in the late 80s. Absolutely no tarnish or corrosion. Its in this pouch right now.

WosYNh8.jpg

Y9r6xuh.jpg

RltIEPO.jpg

Lots of life on the blades but thats not from the pouch, thats from this cowboy knife getting used like a cowboy knife. For decades.

So I make a lot of these pouches. I tend to use my chrome tan chap leftover scraps. Good use for small pieces of this stuff. I made some out of this chap leather:

pJSJldm.jpg

Sold one to a friend here on BF. He had tarnish problems with it right away. So we set up some experiments cause he lives in a much hotter part of Cali than I do and we wanted to see if that was the problem. It wasn't it was this leather. Tarnished my knives too, overnight. So I threw the rest of those away. I made some out of other chap (almost all chap leathers are chrome tan btw, with only one exception I can think of). I couldn't get them to tarnish the knife nor could my friend there in the San Joaquin Valley. So the lesson I learned was test drive the leather first. Even these guys, no problems:

5f2SpYL.jpg

Lately I've been using this chrome tanned water buffalo as I had lots of scraps of it. I had a real run on leggings from this, made 5 or 6 pairs in a row from this stuff, so I had lots of leftovers:

niZ9mgd.jpg

I made up a buckaroo pouch from this and stuck one of my knives in it for weeks. I even kept it in the bathroom, near the sink and the shower to see if the relative warm, moist environment would make a diff. None. I use this now for buckaroo pouches all the time and for the lining of my Rangeflap holsters:

WMPkIE4.jpg

mNwlzl9.jpg

I too firmly believe that long term storage in leather is a bad deal. I think that the leather can pick up moisture from the air and can create problems whether veg tan or chrome tan. I've gotten away with it though. Bought another gun safe and have more room now so even the Vaquero is no longer kept in the holster. I'm no chemist, above is some real life stuff though. I've made and sold hundreds and hundreds of those Rangeflap holsters and hundreds of those buckaroo pouches and the only case I ever heard of any problems was that one I sold to my friend.

Ever piece of leather has its place even bad stuff for linings. Just do something else with it:

4hfGzNg.jpg

WolYyou.jpg

Last edited:
i4Marc i4Marc : I am saying that I use a lot of Deer skin (which is probably all chrome tanned) and so far I have never had a problem. Dave went to great lengths to explain and document his general agreement with me, based on our combined personal experiences. if you are looking for a guarantee.......nope!, but if actual experience so far counts then I'd say use deer skin which is available in white.

Paul

Thank you all.

Paul, yours and Dave's combined experience is enough of an endorsement for me. The examples you both give ease my mind a bit about using chrome tanned leather next to the knife. I understand that these cases are not a guarantee.

Do either of you have any advice to help me in discerning which chrome tanned to definitely stay away from? What kinds of questions should I be asking a leather supplier to weed out more risky products? I realize it will eventually come down to testing the pieces. But if I can avoid buying costly leather that I can't use for the intended purpose it would save me a huge headache. Are there coatings or other products that can be applied to chrome tanned leather to help neutralize the potential harmful effects?

Thank you all.

Paul, yours and Dave's combined experience is enough of an endorsement for me. The examples you both give ease my mind a bit about using chrome tanned leather next to the knife. I understand that these cases are not a guarantee.

Do either of you have any advice to help me in discerning which chrome tanned to definitely stay away from? What kinds of questions should I be asking a leather supplier to weed out more risky products? I realize it will eventually come down to testing the pieces. But if I can avoid buying costly leather that I can't use for the intended purpose it would save me a huge headache. Are there coatings or other products that can be applied to chrome tanned leather to help neutralize the potential harmful effects?

Most suppliers will send ya a sample. Save a guy buying a hide to experiment on.

Back