Colossus

I recently purchased a Colossus and am unsure what role this knife fulfills. I don't see it as a replacement for the Talwar, they are not even similar. It's like a gigantic Spyderco Chinese Lum. Anyways, I can't find a use for this knife and it doesn't fit in my knife pack so I'm debating on what to do. For those of you guys who have this knife what do you use it for? What's the purpose behind the design philosophy?

Cold Steel says"this beast of a blade is just perfect for everyday utility use and cutting chores. Zipping through even tough material like a hot knife through butter!" I find quite a few of their knives great to look at but not really something for my needs. This particular knife looks like it would be good for skinning possibly. Curious though for other inputs.

I passed up a chance to buy one very cheap . I'm spending the savings picking up some extras of my discontinued CS favorites .

it makes no sense to me other than a really wide chopper folder. i would think its too wide and oddball shaped to be a good skinner, but never tried dont own one just speculating.

i dont really like its appearance myself, but might be a great user? no idea as i have no experience with one.

I bought both versions of the Colossus because it is much cheaper than the 4-MAX and it has a slightly more 'pointy' tip.

Plus the green-and-black G10 handle scales color is different.

When I first saw pictures of it in early January 2016, I thought that it was new take on a Chinese folder.

I like the handle ergonomics so much better than the Spyderco version.

I use it as a regular EDC.

It isn't for everything though, because of the tip not being 'pointy' enough.

Since I usually carry two knives at work, that isn't a problem now.

I think the Colossus would be a very impressive knife in an XL version as would the Immortal. What was CS thinking when they brought out these two models in 4" blade versions only?

It's a design that does nothing for me. I'd go for a Rajah 3 over it.

But that's the great thing about Cold Steel. Such a wide and push the limits type line, that there is something for everyone.

As they say "If you can't go long go wide".
(I don't know why)
It's for the knife knut that has everything. I bet it is cool to hold and look at. The handle appearance (not the shape) kind of grosses me out. Maybe it is better in person.
Probably not my first choice for cutting curves in cardboard.

Has that wow factor when you first take it out of your pocket. If you can get it out of your pocket.
I was so curious what the purpose of the knife was I came here to finally read and find out.

. . . ?
Be interesting to hear the various posts.

I'm up to two Colossus now as I found a great use for it. I now carry one in my left hand pocket for a forward draw, the wave feature catches 100% due to the width of the blade, also due to the negative blade to handle ratio there's a lot less travel for the blade from the closed to open position. This thing opens more reliably than any karambit or other knives with the Emerson wave feature. I have searched long and wide for a blade to fill this role and have gone through many many models and have yet to find one that's easy to grab in the off hand that opens reliably. I now carry this for weapon retention.

I see it as a new, updated version of the Rajahs, kind of a middle size between Rajah III and II, having a greater chopping and slicing power than the lil' Rajah III but nowhere near as long, heavy and bulky as the Rajah II

QRxCtU8.jpg

I hope to get one before 2018 to try it out

I see it as a new, updated version of the Rajahs, kind of a middle size between Rajah III and II, having a greater chopping and slicing power than the lil' Rajah III but nowhere near as long, heavy and bulky as the Rajah II

QRxCtU8.jpg

I hope to get one before 2018 to try it out

HAY whats that bottom item? Rachet?

I originally bought my colossus as a Rajah 2 replacement because I found I was choking up on some jungle clearing and maybe I didn’t need the reach. The cts bd1(Rajah) is such a rubbish steel(sorry) that I was looking for a replacement that can keep an edge on one outing. I ended up repurchasing a Rajah 2 as I found the reach was a necessity but I do keep a field sharpener on me with it.
The cts xhp on the colossus is amazing and I have cleared some brush and branches for an hour and it still cut straight through my hiking boot like air.(yeah I was sloppy and ocd)
For me I have reserved the use for on trail hiking with non knife people as it’s very light and not as scary but still has light clearing and light chopping capabilities in an emergency. I’ve even carried it as a back up for the Rajah 2 on off trail hiking in the jungle.
For sure the Rajah will chop better with the forward heavier weight alone. Honestly I wish Cold Steel will come out with a g10 cts xhp version. I suppose many owners have it as a novelty and may never use their Rajah so keeping it cheap makes it popular. I haven’t handled all cold steel models but I think the Rajah 2 is the best design they make mated with cheap materials(argh).
The colossus designer is a bushcraft knife maker I believe so I see it as a good backup camp knife or a lightweight hike knife. Feathering and light chopping is a breeze.
In terms of edc, I have carried my 4 max over the colossus but not because of the performance but the X factor of the 4 max or novelty. The colossus is definitely a better performer imo. The shape is awkward though in the front pocket (I rear pocket carry)
I think the observation comparing it to a spyderco is an astute one. I regard spyderco as the best slicing and this is like a spyderco CS hybrid. Is that gross to some y’all? Hehe
For sure if I had to keep only 3 knives this would be one of them. But I concede it’s a funny looking knife(dinosaur penis)

Back