"Come into my parlor..." said the spider to the (dragon)fly.

Good shots! Years ago, I got a call about a "suspicious person", a guy sneaking around in the subdivision common ground with a camera at night.

Turns out he had found a big orb weaver just starting an new web, and he was setting up his rig to capture it at dawn with the dew on it.
Long before the internet; or I would have asked for a copy.

That's a spiny orb weaver but I tend to just call it a crab spider. we get the same ones here, only different. :)

Yea, the ones here speak Chinese and your ones have a funny accent :D:thumbup:

Here is a couple more, the spider in the leaf had a cool iridscence that the camera couldn't pick up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC07778.jpg
    DSC07778.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC07793.jpg
    DSC07793.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 25
I've no idea what either of those two are. At first I thought the top might be a crab spider but then remembered that they do not hunt with webs. Maybe another species of Argiope... maybe Lycosa will grace us with some info. That bottom shot is really cool; any idea if those little white puff things are egg sacs? Or?? I've also always wondered why spiders sometimes tuck their legs in like that.

Here is a crab spider of some sort, a wee little one. :)
DSC04138s.jpg

I've done a lot of insect photography over the last few years but it wasn't until I started to post photos in this thread that I realized just how many photos I have of arachnids. I'll see about getting an album together in the next little while since it seems like there are some other weird people here that are fascinated by critters big and small.

Haze, the first one looks like a St. Andrew's Cross. very common in Oz.

I've no idea what either of those two are. At first I thought the top might be a crab spider but then remembered that they do not hunt with webs. Maybe another species of Argiope... maybe Lycosa will grace us with some info. That bottom shot is really cool; any idea if those little white puff things are egg sacs? Or?? I've also always wondered why spiders sometimes tuck their legs in like that.

I've done a lot of insect photography over the last few years but it wasn't until I started to post photos in this thread that I realized just how many photos I have of arachnids. I'll see about getting an album together in the next little while since it seems like there are some other weird people here that are fascinated by critters big and small.

The first spider is one I see a fair bit, there are spiders that have a "blotch" of white web in the middle (like the pic on the first page) and some that have dabs of it along the "ancher lines" on the web (you can see it in your spiny orb spider pic). I have no idea what its for but it seems to get used by a few spiders in one form or another.

The second spider was quite a find, I have never seen one like that before. It was nearly like a butterfly wing, I must have taken 20 pics of that one spider but none of the pictures show the colours on the hair :grumpy:
The white spots seem to be some sort of web fixing points or something. It had quite a large and complex web with 3 or so layers.

Back