Coming back to basic and inexpensive knives after years of buying latest stuff....

Coming back to basic and inexpensive knives after years of buying latest stuff

Well lets take inventory of where I am at :
Last knives purchased =
  • Opinel Carbon #12
  • Outdoor Edge Fillet & Boning Folding Knife (a simple lock back with 420A steel) the design and handle in particular and the thinness of the blade in general please me no end.
  • Case Teardrop in Black Water Buffalo scales
  • Swiss Army Rangergrip 78 SAK
  • Cold Steel Large Stockman (OK OK it has super steel) hey it's a traditional and it is going for about half price of MSRP so that's "inexpensive" . . . right ?

So I'm with ya'

Truth be told I've been getting the bug for my first Sebenza again now that work has picked up . . .

It's the Devil talking . . . I can resist this . . . I've done it before . . .
Or not.

To ask me to go through life without M4 blade steel here or there though.

Nah dude, nah.
Just put it in a nice single blade trapper and I'm good.

Last edited:
I am always coming back to basic inexpensive knives that are by many standards cheap,and not good enough for knife nuts.These knives are all my Victorinox kitchen,paring and Sak knives,along with few Opinels ,moras ,Mercators and few others..

I don't know what knife nuts those aren't good enough for, but you won't find those kind of knife nuts here.

I still keep buying stuff,lol,but mostly traditional stuff,have no use for tscticals anymore,btw cold steel stockman in s35 v is awesome.The other day i received a nice custom navaja type knife from Spain,and will be getting more,but am done with tacticals I think,will stick to traditional fixed and folding ,after i sell most of my stuff.Victorinox and Opinels will still be used every day.I am planing to get few traditional tacticals in future,Spanish navajas and Italian stiletos,and maybe couple bowies.

Ps.i like Sebenza too,awesome knives but out of my price range,when i sell my other knives,might try one out.

I still keep buying stuff,lol,but mostly traditional stuff,have no use for tscticals anymore,btw cold steel stockman in s35 v is awesome.The other day i received a nice custom navaja type knife from Spain,and will be getting more,but am done with tacticals I think,will stick to traditional fixed and folding ,after i sell most of my stuff.Victorinox and Opinels will still be used every day.I am planing to get few traditional tacticals in future,Spanish navajas and Italian stiletos,and maybe couple bowies.
Sounds like a good plan. :thumbsup:

I haven't carried a non trad in a very long time. Whatever knife or tool I want, it usually turns out to be simple and old fashioned.

Zieg

Yes!! Y’all here on Blade Forums honestly converted me to the traditional knife sub genre to the point I felt comfortable selling off all of my higher end modern “tactical folders”.

An old second hand (or third hand idk) Trapper is my current edc along with a Leatherman squirt as a secondary. Let me tell you I’m dang happy with the pair of them. No complaints from me :thumbsup:

The most "modern" single blade I carry is a Buck 110 or 112.
I always pair it with a multiblade like a stockman, moose, trapper, canoe, or barlow, and either a 4 blade scout/camp knife or SAK Huntsman.
Truth to tell, I use the multiblade more than the 110/112, but after carrying one on my belt for over 40 years I feel naked without it.

I've never been drawn to pocket clips or those modern things that open with one hand.

Who makes ranch boss from cold steel,very good looking knife ,but expensive too.I ordered another inexpensive user,Rough rider barlow ,large,think the blade is 5 inches,cant wait to get it.It has stag handles i think.

My first modern folder of quality make was everything I wanted in a folder back then, once I joined BF's and found the porch I realized my journey with modern folders was over and I started getting truly interested in the traditional knives I always thought would be too slow and fiddly to use.

Now I'm 100% traditional ( I think it was always in me ) and there's just too much to love.
Many patterns , and many variations on these patterns from various manufacturers over more than 100 years of evolvement for me to choose from.

Last edited:
I haven't carried a non trad in a very long time. Whatever knife or tool I want, it usually turns out to be simple and old fashioned.

Zieg
Same here, but more specifically I try not to dislike modern folders so much but it's just not in me anymore.
If there is a modern folder that I don't hate I'm usually still wanting it to be a bit more simple in design.
It's easier to just get a traditional folder than wait around for a modern folder that's not coming.

Last edited:
I have begun to purchase, carry and use modern folders again more often instead of traditional style knives. Two reasons:
1) Many new modern folder designs have more traditional elements in them now. Wood scales, bolsters, blade shapes/dimensions.... very refreshing. No longer is every modern folder a sharpened pry-bar.
2) Unlike everything in 2018, nothing of my likes coming from GEC in 2019. Case hasn't had anything inspire me lately, even the barlows. And no more Queen short runs to mull over gambling on a blind purchase.

My most carried traditionals are now a 35 Churchill hummingbird acrylic, a 44 Cocobolo and a CK Lionsteel Shuffler bocote.

Back