Comp Blade

Here's a little sneak peak of what I'm throwing together for the cutting comp at the SOFA Quad State.

I pulled the blade and guard out of the scrap bin. For whatever reason I decided to put a nice hamon and finish on the blade, despite a single guard and a micarta handle :).

The knife cuts pretty well and I'm anxious to see how it does.

This knife would have stayed in the scrap pile but Greg Covington was looking for competition contestants. This knife is definitely not what I would have made; the blade is 9.5"x 1.75"x.27". If I had time I would take full advantage of the 10x2 requirement, I also would have left the spine close to 3/8" with a strong taper.

The hamon came out pretty nice and I was able to get some pretty consistent usuri. I'm finally nailing down the hamon...took me long enough :).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Dear God Matt!....the scrap bin?

That hamon looks like sun shining thru a cloud bank......brings to mind the old "silver lining" saying!

My comp knife has been getting a thorough beating and I've been using a scotchbrite to clean it back up.

I can't wait to see this one!

Greg

Greg Covington said:
Dear God Matt!....the scrap bin?

Greg

Exactly what I was thinking. ;) :)

What, exactly, would cause that blade to be in the scrap bin?

As for the Hamon; I think that turned out nice enough that even Don Fogg might stop, look and smile. :)

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to checking out your comp knife too Greg ;).

I don't really like the lines of this blade. In fact, it was a much, much wider south west bowie but I decided to scrap it when I noticed a little forge mark. You can see it in the photo, it looks like a little pock mark. Probably the size of a pencil tip. I know exactly when and what I did when I put the mark in the blade, and I knew as soon as the blade cooled down enough to handle that the knife was scrap. I wanted some practice on south west blades, it came in handy on a mini I am working on.

I loved it when it was a south west, but now it doesn't do a whole lot for me. I am happy with the hamon, and if anything I can at least reproduce it consistently now. So, I guess, the blade isn't a total loss.

I'll get a pick of the finish product tomorrow or Sunday.

Matt

Wrinkles in someone's face can be called "laugh lines"......

Forge marks and other slight imperfections can be what I call "character marks"...........

Let the blade live and take on a life of it's own...all is good. :)

Greg, I agree, I love character marks in art glass, carpentry, other makers' knives, etc. But I absolutly hate any character marks in my knives. I don't know why but I can't even stand to look at them. I've scrapped many knives for a lot less. I love seeing character in other people's work, just not mine....this bastard won't be seeing the light of day :).

You might think about getting some "type A" pills. That knife is fine. Thats one has as much activity as I ever seen in a blade. You have got the process down, alright. My hats off to you. :) Lin

Thanks guys :), send me a few of those "type A" Lin, I could use them :).

I use Brownell's Tough Quench heated to 125*.

LongRifle said:
Robert, the blade is 1065, my favorite steel.

I've been meaning to ask you this for a long time. How come you're the only person I've ever seen to have used this 1065 steel? I've NEVER heard another maker mention 1065. I've heard of 1050, 1070, 1080, 1084, 1084 modified, 1095, etc... Where do you get this stuff? :)

Dan, why more people don't use it is beyond me, I think it's a great steel. I know Tai Goo uses quite a bit of it. I still say w1 is the best steel for a hamon, but 1065 is a close second.

All these fine folks said it before but it needs said again.Beautiful hamon.Oh man,it's just stunning. :) Don't know which side of blade I like better. :confused:

LongRifle said:
Greg, I agree, I love character marks in art glass, carpentry, other makers' knives, etc. But I absolutly hate any character marks in my knives. I don't know why but I can't even stand to look at them. I've scrapped many knives for a lot less. I love seeing character in other people's work, just not mine....this bastard won't be seeing the light of day :).

Hehehe....spoken like a true artist :D

It is good to be your own worst critic

Danbo said:
Where do you get this stuff? :)

Danbo....I got mine in 1/4" from Kelly Cupples......it makes a tremendous blade and has a straightforward heat treat.....

Matt and Tai Goo have shown us what an excellent canvas it is for a beautiful hamon.

Here's the finished piece. It's pretty rainy here, when I get some better light I'll take and post a few better pics.

This pic is after clean up, the last two are before. I should have known the light would have been decent after I pounded on the knife for a while :).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Man what a great temper line any Maker would be proud of that one, very well done......... :thumbup:

Just looked at an old post of yours, the way you come up with the guard ovals is a dang good idea :D

Matt.....the overall package looks great too!

I've been doing some chopping thru 2x4's with mine....I can plow thru them pretty quick.....now I'm just playing with the science of doing it better :confused:

I have some 1" manilla coming in....done some soda can cuts, water bottles, and a hardwood dowel.....the edge has been fine thru all these.

I should have plenty rope so if you need to make a few quick runs we can do it here at the shop.

Greg

Back