Compact

Picked up a Victorinox Compact mostly for the scissors...
What do you use the multipurpose hook for.
Looking for suggestions...

This should be a good thread. Can't wait for suggestions. I only used it for the nail file but never could figure out a good use for it.

Hook has been used for lifting hot items out of a campfire. Such as a pot. That's it for me.

Picked up a Victorinox Compact mostly for the scissors...
What do you use the multipurpose hook for.
Looking for suggestions...
I use it for fishing wires our strings from it of tight spaces. The hook is one of those tools that when you need it, nothing else will do.

I've used it to add a handle when pulling thin cord, as a more gentle marlin spike, not thinking of anything else I've used it for at the moment. I've heard of others using it as a wire bending jig, and for getting a better grip on rig-pull tabs.

Kind of like a crochet hook whilst doing paracord stuff, or any string or rope stuff. Helps to pull a string through where you can’t get your finger through.

Sounds like no great usefulness for the multipurpose hook...
Love the knife anyway but would have been happier with a different tool than the hook!
Scissors are super useful!

Hook has been used for lifting hot items out of a campfire. Such as a pot. That's it for me.

Although I don't use mine very often, it does come in handy for occasional chores. In addition to the afore mentioned, I've used mine as an assist when carrying a bale of hay or wire bound newsprint. Especially when considering how little space it occupies, it's nice to have.

As someone who has carried a Compact daily for a couple of decades, the most useful function of the hook is the nail file on the back.

My understanding is that when the hook was developed, twine wrapped parcels were still far more common in europe than they were in North America. The mystery hook is a bit of a legacy thing, sure it doesn't have a use for everyone, but at this point, I'd kinda feel like something was missing if it got taken away. Also, what would go in its place?

Okay, here’s a niche use:

Taking gaiters off which clip onto your boot lace at the front, in sub-zero blizzard conditions. Yep, that was me in February. That hook was damn useful.

A couple things:

1. The only hook with a nail file on the back is that of the Compact.

2. There doesn't seem to be a better back tool option for that spot. (It's got to be the right thickness)

Last edited:
Back