Compadre / camp knife 104, axe 106, froe 108.

GPyro

Gold Member
I have been poking around and thought it may be nice to have these items together in a thread.
A club, maybe, but I'm not up to keeping track of anything, ha.

Sort of a one place stop for pics and discussion.

Thanks.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
I'm okay with the cerakote finish being the steel is 5160 and rust prone. these are tools I keep in my truck. it's wet and hot here in the truck cab, and i don't use too often and a side effect don't take care of them much either.

an Alaskan guide type finish id prefer though. assuming it could hold back corrosion. would cost more but way more durable and I like the potential for rust resistance, if those coatings can do that. cerakote can, so im okay with it due to that.

Both 104 I have are un coated. One Skblades D2 version ffg and the botm 104 3V ffg version, both are kinda semi stainless, and I prefer no coating.

I haven’t had a chance to go camping to test them out yet. It’s been to busting busy and hot.

Out in our climate it’s fairly dry and far from salt water so I’m not overly concerned with these high alloy steels rusting or corroding. And I don’t plan to use them fishing where I have had some problems with non stainless. I think if I use them just camping and maybe some hunting when I will have better control and some oil I shouldn’t have any problems.

I like using my Froe, it is great for kindling. I have the axe but I have an old Buck axe I use. As for the knife I have way to many knives so I never bought one.

s6HRk4c.jpg

Got an email this morning from Filson saying they re-stocked the 104, but by the time I checked they were out of stock. I think that's the last of them this time too, since there was no button for "notify when back in stock" like there was last week. :(

To each his own, I find the anvil cutout attractive. The blade is thick enough not to weaken and makes a handy hangy hole.
What I can't handle is the "goofy" sheath.
I think it's similar to large logos.
I don't like having Marketing on my stuff.

The Esee cleaver is the same.

And anything lasered out screams "cheap" to me.

Just my personal opinion.

Like I said, Otherwise I want one

I picked this one up a few weeks ago. Story from seller is that his neighbor custom built the handle out of Shedua wood with a Bubinga accent strip and the wood came from a 1967 Bear recurve bow.
NAX2dZk.jpg

LytmH9S.jpg

2cH0CIV.jpg

Last edited:
Back