Companion Gen 2: A Preview

After a long wait Mr. Evans has finally begun delivering Companions. I received mine today and thought I'd share with everyone what to expect.

GKlACOk.jpg

Here's what to expect at a first glance. The signature Evans logo. Classy.

eiPlqEZ.jpg

In box, a Kydex sheath with the Companion inside. The size of the box is a wee bit small, but its done on purpose so the knife will not rattle around in box.

b7v1zgj.jpg

Close up on knife with sheath.

9j56s62.jpg

Glamor shot!

ogZHiTC.jpg

Some of your knives may come with black spots. It's not a scuff, it's the dust and debris from the Kydex. I don't believe the sheaths were cleaned post manufacturing process. Washing the knife and sheath is a necessity.

XZwLEjR.jpg

Initial sharpness test.

First impressions: My initial qualm would be the factory edge. It's usable but not great. Some work needs to be done before it becomes hair popping sharp. Mine has a slight burr at the belly which will need to be worked out. The knife and sheath comes dirty, so make sure to wash it with dish soap prior to carry.

For the positives, first the sheath is very well made. The seams are buffed and smoothed out. I believe it will support Tek Loks, the bottom rivets measure to be the right distance. As for the knife itself, it fits very well in my medium size hands. It's ergonomically sound and handles excellently in a pinch grip and push grip. Just everything about the knife is smooth. There are no squared corners at all.

After a few weeks of use and carry, I might come back and do a full review. But so far I'm pretty happy with the knife and can't wait to start using it.

Thanks for the update, looks like Brian has a winner! Received my shipping info., just a couple of days before I have mine in hand.

Received mine today, great little knife. The plunge grind is really bad though, this thing is gonna be a pain to sharpen. I'll probably have to grind a sharpening notch in at the heel of the blade.

Got mine today too! It’s really better than expected. The contours of the knife make it fit really well in the hand. Brian has delivered a jewel of a knife.

Received mine today, great little knife. The plunge grind is really bad though, this thing is gonna be a pain to sharpen. I'll probably have to grind a sharpening notch in at the heel of the blade.
I use a edge pro apex for all my knifes and I find this knife needs a rediculess steep angle to ceatch the grind any thoughts on the bevels? I was thinking of backing the edge off maybe

Brian, you sure have a winner here! Love the fact that you found and delivered this blade in such a great steel, even after the promises of the first maker did not materialize. I have give you a big thanks for making this reality. THANK YOU Brian.

Has anyone who received their blade know if the holes are the right spacing for a tek lok?
:thumbsup:

received mine the other day, fit and finish is good, sheath is good and like the first generation it feels fantastic in hand.
But I've seen thinner grinds and edges on hatchets. I think that I'll be trying to find someone to do a full regrind on this thing before it even sees my pocket. And the tip is "stubby" for lack of a better word and just has no real piercing ability.
The first generation was far superior in my opinion, and after the long wait I am a little bit disappointed. The fact that I need to spend more money to give it a proper edge is the biggest disappointment because I love the design and really have been looking forward to this one so much.

I received my package in the mail today. I decided to wait and open it Christmas morning. I'll report back on my thoughts. Thank you Brian.

Back