Comparing Leatherman and Victorinox Swisstool

For folks who've extensively used both a full-size Leatherman multitool and a Victorinox full-size Swisstool:
  • Which do you prefer most, and why?
  • Besides the obvious tool differences, what do you think are the strengths and weaknesses of each?

Background: I've used a Leatherman Charge that was gifted to me for many years, like it, and still use it backpacking, and carry daily in a small pouch. Also was gifted a Vic Swisstool Spirit Plus about a year ago. I like it too. Not that hard to please I guess, when it comes to well built tools. ;) But I do see some differences between them. The Swisstool seems like overall better fit and finish, more attention to detail, and closer tolerances. Everything is just tighter and smoother and....I dunno what term I'm looking for here....kind of elegant. Strictly a personal usage thing, but in some cases for me, the tools on the leatherman are a bit more practical, the Swisstool has a number of tools I would rarely or never use. I like the s30v knife blade on the Charge a bit better than the Swisstool's blade. Also the Charge is slightly lighter, and if you get the add-on bits kits, they are designed to be very flat/light, are in nice flat little holders, you can carry the whole setup pretty compactly. I have no plans to get rid of either, just thinking of buying a third one and can't decide which way I'm leaning. :rolleyes: Overall, the Swisstool seems a bit more "deluxe" and also heavy, the Charge seems a bit lighter and for me, slightly more practical in its selection of tools.

Last edited:
I've had and have both, 3 Spirits, 2 Swisstools, 2 Waves, 2 Surges, 2 ST300, a CORE and others.
I prefer the LM for rough tasks and on the garden or at my landscaping activities as I can open the tools and implements with gloves, they have much more easier to clean interiors (when dirt and sand get inside) and their implements have very wide and big shapes and sizes, better overall for those types of tasks.

0yqEnR6.jpg

the OHO blades are a very nice addition for those same roles and tasks.
Similar characteristics apply to my SOGs, easy to open one handed, very wide spaces and rugged feel.

Ct72r6W.jpg

The Swisstool is very hard for me to use as I barely have fingernails and it's a true pain to get the utensils out, the Spirit is much nicer in that regard as the nail nicks are exposed. Both feel really solid and sturdy and I've never had problems with any of them, but their steel is noticeably softer and I've worn or bent some drivers and implements with not much force.
SOG's tools (individual implements, I mean) have presented the same problems to me with their steel

cTmZ0gP.jpg

oh and SAK/Swisstool's scissors can't be beat

iCfTjGt.jpg

Thanks, that all rings true to my impressions, except I haven't yet observed the bit about the Swisstool metal being "softer." Right now, I'm SLIGHTLY (like, 51 to 49 :) ) leaning to getting another Leatherman (Wave, or Charge) for my 3rd large multitool just because of the practical usability things I listed. The Swisstool definitely just seems more "elegant" and carefully finished all around, but that quality does not necessarily make it any more reliable, robust, or practical than the LM.

ETA: Interesting that in this other thread about toughest multi with pliers, folks are reporting the same thing you do with Swisstool, use of a softer type of stainless. And they are also saying that has resulted in a tougher, less brittle steel that is less prone to snapping and breaking. Interesting.

Last edited:
I use both Leatherman and Victorinox multitools, like them both. The two I use daily are a Spirit and a Surge.

Some of the advantages of Leatherman tools (like one hand opening blades) are lost on me because I carry a dedicated knife and keep my multitool in my backpack or briefcase. S30V or 154CM blades are nice to have (like the ones on my Charge Tti or Skeletool), but they are the least used implement on my multitools.

I find Victorinox tools to be better finished, everything moves with precision. Grinds are more symmetrical. Although the high polish can make the screwdrivers slip off. I do like the ratchet (which can use standard bits) a lot more than Leatherman's exchangeable bit drivers (I always seem to bend those and they get loose under hard use). Victorinox scissors are also better than most Leatherman scissors (the ones on the Juice are fantastic, though). I've broken several Leatherman scissors (on Squirts) and it's impossible to get them fixed in my country. Plus all implements can be opened from outside the tool.

Leatherman has the advantage when it comes to wirecutters and diamond files. There are also more models to choose from.

To be honest, from a practical standpoint, I'm fine with using either of the brands.

IMO,
Leatherman is all about "pushing the envelope".
As the foremost pliertool developers,
It must almost be like a game of solitaire
Coming out with new variants.
Most of the competition does not even come close to their level of steadfastness
In engineering highly complex products with all the assortment of bells and whistles.
Victorinox on the other hand,
is about being a prudent time tested operation with with efficiently;
Churning out old world subtlety for the discerning customer
Who equates quality with a manufacturing standard encompassing top notch fit & finish.
Simply put, the beauty of victorinox pliers is in its simplicity of form.
It is a very finely made rudimentary product built simply to perform
Task like a precision tool.
but in all fairness a product that is also completely highly robust and reliable.
To me a victorinox pliertool is all about being the finest
original leatherman tool concept one could ever hope for.
So yeah, it's deluxe of the highest order, albeit the many fine technical
Developments and Breakthroughs brought forth by the leatherman group.
The choice obviously boils down to personal preferences.
But let's be honest, it's a Peter vs Paul scenario
A true predicament for any true pliertool aficionado worth his salt.
In time, one would luv having 'em both.

IMO, if your general uses are satisfied by both, it really doesn't matter which one you add. My personal opinion is influenced by duties I tend to see.

It's rare that I use the knife in my multi tools. For me, the tools need to not break my finger nails every time I need to access them or be dangerous to access (I love the Sog Para tool's overall package but hate accessing the tools), the pliers have to be able to pull staples out of wood, the scissors have to cut electrical tape and bandage, the wire cutters need to cut wires, and the screwdrivers need to be able to both handle increased torque and be usable for longer periods.

The last two requirements usually are the make our break test for me. My personal test (usually when the need arises), is to take a 1 1/2" wood screw and try to force it through an untapped 2×4 (tapped is fine too but not always available). If I can go through 6-8 of those in a row without too much frustration, I'm good to go. Having to do this on a spur of the moment repair led me to the Juice (I have the Charge, and some other brands in my knife box that almost never see use). I bent the large flathead on a large Toro MT using torque that my Juice could handle. For you, it might be another MT.

Back