Comparison Test - Japanese AUS8A vs American CTS XHP

Why did you decide to change the Hunter series to 3V instead of the CTS-XHP ? I've never had a knife in 3V either, and will be snagging a new Pendleton Mini when they are released.
Not sure if it has already been covered but is there an ETA on the Pendletons being released ?

I don't know the answer to that. That was a call made by the R&D team.
Quite a few of our fixed blades are switching to CPM 3V for 2015.
I hear it tested very well indeed.

I believe the Master Hunter is the only model that has begun to ship in 3V. Other models have not yet been released.
I don't have an ETA on those yet. Sorry

:( Not the answer I'd hoped for. :( CTS-XHP is enough of an upgrade I'd have to buy one. BD-1 is not.....
Wonder why they made that decision?

Is that a new model ? :D

Why did you decide to change the Hunter series to 3V instead of the CTS-XHP ? I've never had a knife in 3V either, and will be snagging a new Pendleton Mini when they are released.
Not sure if it has already been covered but is there an ETA on the Pendletons being released ?

Pendletons in 3V? Wow CS is doing things :)

I've wanted to try 3V for the first time myself. Perfect opportunity right here. Pendleton's a great hunter.

3V, CTS-XHP, and BD1 are serious upgrades. Anyone who gives these steels a try will never want to go back to AUS8.

Shrub, Sal Glesser said that BD1 is one of his favorite all around steels. That is good enough for me. He makes the highly regarded Manix 2 in this steel. It is much better than AUS8.

I don't know the answer to that. That was a call made by the R&D team.
Quite a few of our fixed blades are switching to CPM 3V for 2015.
I hear it tested very well indeed.

I believe the Master Hunter is the only model that has begun to ship in 3V. Other models have not yet been released.
I don't have an ETA on those yet. Sorry

Thanks. Guess I may have to buy another Master Hunter to hold me over until the Pendleton's are released :D

Pendletons in 3V? Wow CS is doing things :)

I've wanted to try 3V for the first time myself. Perfect opportunity right here. Pendleton's a great hunter.

Yep. A couple big changes in steel really changes things... The Pendleton's are a great knife. I just touched up the edge on my VG-1 Mini and put it in my pack. I am heading out to our camp in the morning, and the season starts Saturday...

I still prefer the reasonably priced AUS 8 knives. Don't price us out.

We still have 8A models, and I suspect there may be more 8A items in the future.
It hasn't been discontinued completely, but some of our most popular items have seen a substantial upgrade
Thanks

So Aus 8 made about 1400 cuts before becoming dull? I'm shattered! How can I ever be satisfied again with my many CS Aus 8 knives after seeing this video? Well actually I only watched the first part of the video but I assume the new more expensive steel made more cuts before turning dull. So what!!!??? If I live to be a 100 I won't make 1400 cuts with any one of my Aus 8 knives and very possibly I won't make that many cuts with all my Aus 8 blades combined. This is where we enter the realm of the looney. People just can't wait to spend more for a steel which will almost certainly not make any practical difference to them whatsoever.

So Aus 8 made about 1400 cuts before becoming dull? I'm shattered! How can I ever be satisfied again with my many CS Aus 8 knives after seeing this video? Well actually I only watched the first part of the video but I assume the new more expensive steel made more cuts before turning dull. So what!!!??? If I live to be a 100 I won't make 1400 cuts with any one of my Aus 8 knives and very possibly I won't make that many cuts with all my Aus 8 blades combined. This is where we enter the realm of the looney. People just can't wait to spend more for a steel which will almost certainly not make any practical difference to them whatsoever.

Thx Larry. I was gonna say that I'm trying hard to think of ANY situation which might result in a crisis if I could only get 1400 cuts out of my knife. LOL

Thx Larry. I was gonna say that I'm trying hard to think of ANY situation which might result in a crisis if I could only get 1400 cuts out of my knife. LOL

You only cut rope and that only once a day? Then of course Aus8 will last you a few years without sharpening.

Most people probably cut a wider variety of materials. Some harder some softer some with slicing cuts some with less taxing push cuts like in this video.
Also after only a few hundred rope cuts it's still cutting rope but might not be sufficiently sharp anymore for other tasks.

It's nice that you defend our old Aus8 blades but I'm pretty happy about the new steel for not much more $$
Thank you Cold Steel.

Nothing is wrong with AUS8 but things (steel included) improve and competition also improves. How much longer did you want them to stay with AUS8 while everyone has moved on to the next generation? CS is picking fights with everyone mainly over whose knives are the best of the best in the world and let me ask you... What is at the heart of a knife? THE STEEL.

I have suggested in the past that they consider having both AUS8 and a higher performing steel available concurrently so that everyone is happy. Some were content with AUS8 performance and price wise, theres also some who collect CS folders as novelty knives and do not push their blades (the XL self defense folders for example) didnt need a steel upgrade. So I do see your point but upgrades happen for all things in life Im sorry to break it to you. If not, you'd be flying the Wright Bros plane and pay phone operators would steel be in business bleh whatever.

How much would the cost be from Aus 8A to the new up grade steel for the Marauder? Just wondering.

The Aus 8A in the Bowie pattern for me has turned out to be a great all round fishing knife, from cleaning to filleting, all sizes of fish and also good for cutting brush on them trout streams when I need to get through. No hunting testing yet as its not hunting season yet. Asking in case of losing this one, relatives seem to eye it to badly. Really way to many good things to say about that knife.

Back