Compression Lock Patent Expires this Month

FWIW, there is one variant of the compression lock I do like, the Smock button-ified version. It makes it less fiddly, avoids exposed edge issues, and does away with hot spots in use from the top side cut outs and weirdness.

Everywhere else I hate it, though. Luckily Spyderco makes knives with a million different lock types so this is easy to work around. Hell, the Sage alone came in like four or five different lock versions, didn't it?

The button-activated compression lock is pretty sweet. At some point I'd like to get one of the PM2 Ultras that BladesWeLove makes out of lefty PM2s.

The Sage was intended from the start to be a series of knives in the same pattern but showcasing different locking mechanisms. They did a liner lock, ti frame lock, "bolt action lock," back lock, and compression lock.

The compression lock on the PM2 and Para 3 is currently my favorite. It’s generally stronger than a liner or frame lock and extremely fidgety. I’ve got 3 examples: No blade play and drop shut action on all of them (needed some break in and pivot tweaks to get there though). I haven’t tried any of Spyderco’s other compression lock models so I can’t speak on those. I’d buy the Kapara if they ever release it in anything other than s30v.

While I like the compression lock, it has always seemed to me that the release is on the wrong side. I feel a thumb release would be easier than the pinch or whatever technique you use. I have three knives with it so I can't complain.

However, the custom scales on my Yo 2 have a square cut out, and if I'm not careful, the lock will pinch me when opening the knife. Gonna replace those eventually.

While I like the compression lock, it has always seemed to me that the release is on the wrong side. I feel a thumb release would be easier than the pinch or whatever technique you use. I have three knives with it so I can't complain.

However, the custom scales on my Yo 2 have a square cut out, and if I'm not careful, the lock will pinch me when opening the knife. Gonna replace those eventually.

I think it works better as-is, since you can pinch the knife solidly between your thumb and 4 fingers with your index finger free to operate the lock. Having the release where your thumb needs to be at the very edge of the knife seems like it wouldn't be as secure. Thumb-side release works great on the Smock, but the button is right in the middle of the scale, so it doesn't require compromising your grip.

The compression lock on the PM2 and Para 3 is currently my favorite. It’s generally stronger than a liner or frame lock and extremely fidgety. I’ve got 3 examples: No blade play and drop shut action on all of them (needed some break in and pivot tweaks to get there though). I haven’t tried any of Spyderco’s other compression lock models so I can’t speak on those. I’d buy the Kapara if they ever release it in anything other than s30v.

Why would a knife with a pivot bushing needs tweaks to operate correctly?

Its not a hand fit pivot bushing like a sebenza and it did operate correctly right out of the box. I like to tweak mine to my preference if possible.

The Smock-lock is the greatest thing EVER.
3Wix0Wlh.jpg

gOY6pHDh.jpg

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but an inverted liner lock, which is more or less what the compression lock is, doesn't seem like it'd be that difficult to pull off. Not sure why so many people think it'll be hard for other makers to adopt. A comp lock Praxis would be badass.

It would really be fantastic. The issues they would have to work out would be something like the relation of the blade to the back of the handle. The compression lock needs that cutout on the spine to access the lock bar. I would have to check but if the blade is close to the back of the knife such that an additional cut out would expose some of the blade on the praxis then that would need to get figured out first. either a larger choil or a redesign of the blade shape/handle width would take care of that.

My BBS pm2 was too tight out of the box, my S30v shaman was as well. My m4 Shaman was too loose and needed a little tweaking to get perfect. I think my S30v pm2 was about perfect but it was used so it doesn't count.
Just because they have a bushing style pivot doesn't mean they will have perfect action with no blade play right away. Spyderco has good tolerances, but they aren't CRKs.

Back