Compression lock - recommendations.

I have heard so many guys rave about them I am going to go ahead and try one.

Recommendations wanted for a small - medium size compression lock EDC/utility knife in the budget to mid-price range, no customs, clones or junk brands.

Thanks in advance.

I like back locks, axis locks, liner locks and frame locks more. I don't like the cutout in the handle, it causes a hotspot in the web of the hand. But I still have, use and like my PM2 and Para 3 - I bought them because of their Maxamet blade mostly and they have really smooth action.
IMHO, definitely get a Golden model, because Taichung compression locks are not that nice. They are stiff, they fight you and it is not a matter of breaking them in. They just won't break in.
I also wouldn't recommend the Shaman, because the tip of the finger choil bumps into your finger depressing the lock when you try to close the blade.

I've tried Para2 and Para3 but didn't really get along with either of them. I love the Sage 5 though.
51138058582_7e572b6c8d_b.jpg
[/url]

Spyderco's compression lock is brilliant, although the placement is a bit awkward. Once you got used to it though it's no more difficult to release than any other locking mechanism IMHO. It's simple, very strong and unobtrusive.

I don't dislike the compression lock; but, as a constant carrier/occasional user of "modern folders", I haven't gotten used to it, yet. Obviously, the mechanics of unlocking the blade are simple enough...and keeping the fingers away from the blade is a great idea; I'm just still at the stage where I have to stop and think about closing the knife. I'm sure that if I carried, and used, a PM2 more often, I could overcome that...but it hasn't happened yet.
Good luck in your search - I'll be interested to see which knife you choose, and what your impressions are after having it for a while.

I'm not well versed in the different options; but, given your stated size preference, maybe a Sage 5(?) or Para3

I can’t believe nobody has mentioned the smock yet. I love my pm2’s but I’ve been carrying the smock more often and really love it.

The Spyderco Lil’ Native is a great small knife and it can be found with a compression lock. Great small knife.

Last edited:
I have the PM2, PM3, and the Yojimbo, all are excellent. This thread needs more pictures:

ZasVT92.jpg
8uMonPH.jpg
weS2LFy.jpg

Another vote for the Kapara. Just try and get the CQI version. The PM2 is also excellent. The Sage with compression lock would also be another good choice. The Yojimbo is a good knife, Just be aware that the compression lock will occasionally bite you if you are not paying attention. The cutout on the PM2 was executed much better. I don’t know why the Yojimbo has not received a CQI to correct this.

Edited to add pic of a Kapara.

JonesE

Last edited:
Para 3 has the smoothest compression lock (G10 version). Yojimbo if you want sexy drop shut action.

Good luck!

Back