computing power?

seems a weird combination: knife nut/geek .. but anyways what are you using... pc or mac.. windows or linux.
If you had to get a portable for heavy duty outdoor use what would it be?

A LOT of knife nuts tend to be light, watch, pen and gadget nuts. Computer= expensive gadget. Thus not that far out at all.
smile.gif
I'm running Windoze 98SE (for now) on a P3 850@892MHz with 768MB PC133 RAM.

For a tough portable, the Panasonic Toughbook is what you want- www.panasonic.com/toughbook

Ultimate in portability for everyday use is the Compaq iPAQ PocketPC- 206MHz processor, 32MB (or the new 64MB RAM)/16MB ROM with sleeves that support CompactFlash (I/II, including the IBM 1GB Microdrive), PC cards, modems, ethernet etc. Video, sound, MS Office products, web, email etc- great toy.
smile.gif
www.compaq.com/pocketpc Come the fall, they will be coming out with a 64RAM/32ROM 400MHz update- start saving now!

------------------
Regards,
Tim
Nor'east Knives
noreastknives@bigfoot.com

There are two rules for ultimate success in life.
Never tell everything you know.

[The other one is to please read the groundrules for the Auto forum at: http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/001211.html ]

Yep, knife knut and geek all the way
biggrin.gif

Running Windows 2k Pro, P3@600MHZ, 384MB PC-133 RAM, a 20GB Seagate ´Cuda, a 21" Eizo main display on a G-Force 2 GTS (from Creative Labs), a 17" Fujitsu secondary display on a Matrox G-200, a Pinnacle Studio DC10+ video capturer.

Oh yeah, and a Logitech cordless wheel rodent.

------------------
My mind may not be sharp, but my knife is.
The Truth is out there. Go out once in a while and look for it.
Don´t let my Spyder bite you.
Always try to keep your mind sharper than your knife.

Lets see who can be the biggest geek.

My computer is a Linux P2 266MHz that usually servers at a terminal to get to an 800MHz Alpha. I havn't compared it to a P4 yet but the Alpha blows everything else out of the water. I like being in grad school because I can use faster computers than I could possibly afford
smile.gif

Here is a little known fact. If you do a lot of floating point computations the AMDs are usually faster than the Pentiums. And since they are cheaper you can save some cash.

Linux has a steep learning curve. However once you get comfortable with it you will never go back to Windows.

At home: AMD Duron 900MHz on a ASUS motherboard, 128Mb/133, HDD 30Gb/7200rpm, 17" NONAME or something, DVD, CDRW, ATI All in Wonder Pro 32Mb + Windoze millenium.
At work, depends, but Windoze is allways NT4. Works way better than '98.
As far as you question goes, I'll get the cheapest 486 (or Pentium) for about $100-$200 if I was using it outdoors. Works fine to read the mail and keeps you off QuakeIII
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by flava (edited 05-21-2001).]

thanks for the feedback yall,
My gear is not quite the much, but it gets the work done... p2 300 196MB ram running redhat (on 10 gig drive) and winme (on 30 gig drive) and
iMac 400 mhz 192 MB of ram, 10 gig drive (hoping to get the unix based Mac OSX soon)

btw stop by http://www.turbopegasus.com and tell what you think, I'd like to add a section on knife safety next, all suggestions welcome.
thnks

hey Josh, no fair... you get to play with an Alpha...
wink.gif

Flava, good point about the cpu speed/quake issue
biggrin.gif

------------------

BTW, I've seen at work (I don't use them personally) some S.Graphics running proffesional 3D simulations on 180° or 360° (projections), makes your Nintendo look 2D.
wink.gif

Ok, I couldn't resist =]
The various computers filling up my apartment...

Sparcstation 20 with one sm71 75mhz proc, 160 megabytes of ram, running Solaris 2.7

SGI Indy R5k 180mhz, 160 megs of ram, IRIX 6.5.3

Pentium 200, 96 megs of ram, FreeBSD 4.2

21264 600mhz alpha, 256 megs of ram, 4 megs of cache running Tru64

1ghz Athlon, 256 megs of ram, running win2k that my girlfriend seems to have commandeered.

I WIN #$@!@#$!#$@
wink.gif

Monitor: Sylvania 19"
Case: Casedge
Mobo: Tyan S1854 T400
Processor: Pentium III 733mhz (Slot 1)
Memory: 128mb VCM SDRAM (VCM really does speed up my video)
Video: Diamond Viper II 64mb
HD: Maxtor 15gb ATA100 (I still need a controller to take advantage. I'm thinking IDE RAID)
Sound: SB Ensoniq
CDROM: Acer 50x
Modem: USR Internet call modem
Keyboard: $10 pos (If [when] I spill it's cheaper to replace)
Mouse: Logitech optical (I usually get a cheap mouse for the same reason as the keyboard but I'm happy I tried this one)

Does anyone know of a DVD that doesn't sound like a jet taxying down the runway?

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

[This message has been edited by David Williams (edited 05-23-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by David Williams:
Does anyone know of a DVD that doesn't sound like a jet taxying down the runway?
</font>

I guess a "non-computer" DVD.
wink.gif

------------------

Hey Flava, I thought Nintendo WAS 2D...
biggrin.gif

More seriously, what 3D apps are those?

------------------

I love computers! My normal computer is a brand new 600MHz G3 iMac, 128MB RAM and a 38GB drive, and of course a CD-RW drive. Running MacOS 9.1 right now, no plans to upgrade to X with this computer. After I put in some more RAM I WILl be installing one of the Linux versions. Going back through older computers I have a non-functional 200MHz Pentium MMX, an HP Vectra 486(I love the old Vectras), a couple of PS/2's(50Z is my fav), and even the original IBM PC and XT, slightly upgraded. Lots of old Macs from the original 128k to an LC II and a few better models that are down due to water damage, three old Apollo UNIX workstations, and some odd little things like an Espon PX-8, although I'm not too good with CP/M. The smallest would be the Palm IIIxe, followed closely by an Apple Newton 120. And the biggest by far is the IBM Series/1 minicomputer. Three 6 foot tall racks when I got the thing! Too bad the hard drives were wired for 220. Just imagine a 300MB hard drive that weighs over 200lbs and is about the size of a small filing cabinet...

Now, if someone could please find a small warehouse to store them in and pay the electric bill...
smile.gif

Back