{concern}Lock up question for ZT801 owners.....

Also it's not useful to flip a knife over and over and over. It only needs to be opened once to use. It would be like hitting a button over and over for no reason, it'll cause unneeded wear.

Do you consider that to be a downside of a flipper? That it will wear when flipped? I suppose we could open them with both hands, when we didn't need to open fast. Or flip very slowly then shake the blade the rest of the way, to avoid sudden impact. Maybe we should just use non-bearing knives, without flippers, I can open those with my thumb very easy into lock-up. Now I have something else to worry about! :eek:

Do you consider that to be a downside of a flipper? That it will wear when flipped? I suppose we could open them with both hands, when we didn't need to open fast. Or flip very slowly then shake the blade the rest of the way, to avoid sudden impact. Maybe we should just use non-bearing knives, without flippers, I can open those with my thumb very easy into lock-up. Now I have something else to worry about! :eek:

I don't think you understood his message. He was saying you shouldn't flip your knife just for fun as it'll cause unneeded wear. Just flip it open when you need to use it. All knives when opened, will cause wear. Doesn't matter what the opening method is. It might not be visible to the naked eye wear, but microscopic wear.

The lockbar is keeping the knife open and safe right? Its doing its job. If you're able to push it over to 100% engagement, is it keeping the knife open and safe? I think yes. Therfore, It's still doing its job. If it ever develops lock rock, send it in. Zero Tolerance will replace the SS insert with another one. I don't see a problem. I just see an annoyance, that you, or anyone else shouldn't be annoyed about.

Mine locks up early and moves over a little if I grip it hard while cutting. If it ever develops play I'll send it in. My Umnumzaan's (3) would also do this along with my Sebenza's and SnG's.

I've noticed the exact same thing on my 801. It does not bother me, the knife works as a frame lock is intended to..... More secure when you grip it(which is not a bad thing AT ALL). Perfect example would be Strider folders I used to own, couldn't be pushed very fair passed initial lockup but always developed some type of lock rock or play. The fact that I can do this on my zt0550 as well(solid as a rock) keeps my confidence in this design as it shows there was more thought put into the lockup of these folders. Ever handle a CRK sebenza or any other knife they make? You can do the same thing with them ;)

Fear not, ignore the negative people in the thread, and use the knife :). If something happens to it, the KAI crew will take great care of you!

I've been able to do this on Striders, CRK and other high cost knives..I don't consider it a problem. Also why not just contact the manufacture before making a thread? Seems to be a common trend these days.

Also it's not useful to flip a knife over and over and over. It only needs to be opened once to use. It would be like hitting a button over and over for no reason, it'll cause unneeded wear.

Yeah like my calculator clear button. I've hit that thing thousands of times and it still works lol.

I don't think you understood his message. He was saying you shouldn't flip your knife just for fun as it'll cause unneeded wear. Just flip it open when you need to use it. All knives when opened, will cause wear. Doesn't matter what the opening method is. It might not be visible to the naked eye wear, but microscopic wear.

I understand just fine, but why flip a knife open hard if you don't need to? I can open a flipper pretty easy with one hand if don't need to have it flying open fast, which is 99.9% of the time. Sure all opening causes wear, but having the blade smack open hard and stop suddenly will certainly cause more.

I understand just fine, but why flip a knife open hard if you don't need to? I can open a flipper pretty easy with one hand if don't need to have it flying open fast, which is 99.9% of the time. Sure all opening causes wear, but having the blade smack open hard and stop suddenly will certainly cause more.

What? Chester and I were talking about the people who constantly flip open and close their knives just to play around with it. I have no idea what you're talking about though.

I had a Kershaw TiZDP mini cyclone that had this problem. It always bugged me. Technically it probably isn't an issue as far as the lock functioning safely. But I'd imagine that even minimal wear to the lockfaces would result in your lockup eroding to 100%. You pushing it over probably isn't very good for it.

J. davis made a point that this is common with steel inserts, but I disagree. It all comes down to the lock geometry. The lock faces are moving parallel to each other. Ideally I'd say that isn't desirable. If they move parallel, or nearly parallel, lockbar pressure will not increase with respect to lockbar travel. On my SNG, for example, you'd have to remove a ton of material from either the lockbar lockface or the blade lockface in order for the lockbar to move any further. That translates to a lock that essentially lasts forever. However, sometimes if the contact surface area is too small the pressure is enough to cause galling; sticky lock. A well designed frame lock will be stick-free and shouldn't wear over after the break in, IMO. My Domino has a steel insert and it wont move at all. It has remained at 50% since day one, stick free.

If this happened to mine I'd send it in.

Not a functional issue, but when you pay top dollar you're entitled to fixate on all the little details you want. Not all knives that roll off the production line are made equal. It's called tolerances.

Lock faces do not move parallel to eachother. The tang of the blade doesn't move at all and the lock bar itself moves in an arc.

Your SNG lock does not translate to one the will last forever. Yes, it won't move over to 100% lockup but because the geometry is so extreme, it will just get lock rock over time.

What? Chester and I were talking about the people who constantly flip open and close their knives just to play around with it. I have no idea what you're talking about though.

I'm talking about why flip it open hard at all if you don't have to. I can open almost all of mine easy or hard, there's one Tilt with such a strong detent you must flip it pretty hard every time, another Tilt that flips easy, or hard which ever I choose. Just taking the concept a bit further of making a user flipper last longer.

Lock faces do not move parallel to eachother. The tang of the blade doesn't move at all and the lock bar itself moves in an arc.

Your SNG lock does not translate to one the will last forever. Yes, it won't move over to 100% lockup but because the geometry is so extreme, it will just get lock rock over time.

Strider changed it to a straighter cut on the blade's tang, because of lock-rock over time. I have to say my SMF with the new lock is still about as tight as I've seen in any of my frame-locks. I can't force it over at all.

My 801 doesn't do this at all, but my gen1 0550 does it to a much smaller degree. When gripped hard, the lockbar moves over just a tiny bit more, and sticks a bit, quite badly when new, but less and less as it breaks in. For me, since it doesn't move far, I just look at it as a more secure lockup. By the way, my gen 2 0550 doesn't do it at all, I assume because of the slightly different geometry of the lockbar cutout being on the outside instead of the inside of the frame.

When you say it moves to 100%, do you mean 100% lockbar contact, or that it moves near to or all the way over to the other scale? If all the way over to the other scale, I would certainly send it in for warranty work.

Edit: Sorry, just went back an looked at the picks again, and I see that it's not all the way over to the other scale. If it were me, I guess I would just use it and see how it goes, and if needed, send it in then.

Last edited:
Back