1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommendation? Condition Ceramic stone

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by samuraistuart, Feb 19, 2019.

1. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I'm glad it worked out well for you. I thought it would. Another talented craftsman straightened a Spyderco ceramic stone by using only hand tools. Aren't you glad you didn't send it in. DM

2. samuraistuart

samuraistuart KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 21, 2006
    David, thanks for the reply. It did work for me. About the “out of flat” thing....when I drew a criss cross pattern and began lapping/conditioning....it was obvious that, while it was not dead nuts flat, it was very close. Not so “out of flat” that I would have complained to Spyderco or even brought the issue up on a forum. It was....but negligible. I agree....freehand users are going to bring more degree of error than the “out of flat” I saw in this stone. Because I use guided sharpening, I wanted it as flat as I could reasonably get it. Spyderco would have never heard (or will hear) a complaint from me.

But I also understand the degree of precision that some (straight razors) users need. So no argument there either.

I just wanted this Old Old Old stone to cut better. I achieved that .... finally. Super happy too.

So to any of you reading, take from my experience what you will. If your Spyderco ceramic isn’t cutting like it should, use what works for you. If a diamond plate works, use it. For me and my OLD fine stone, it was 60 grit loose SiC powder. Then I used 120 grit powder. Simply transformed the stone to what I was wanting. Polished, but aggressive!

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  3. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    Happy to help. :thumbsup: :)

(By the way you won't get the same result using a diamond plate as the surface produced is different between two-body and three-body abrasion; three-body, e.g. loose grit, is almost like sandblasting.)

4. Josh Rathbun

Josh Rathbun

Sep 14, 2018

This what I am looking to do I have some older dia sharp diamond plates 300,600,1200 would these be able to accomplish a finish like you have shown?

5. eKretz

eKretz

Aug 30, 2009
    Not exactly, but they will do the job. The amount of use on your diamond plates will play a role. In my experience if the diamond plates are well worn, they will do more glazing/ polishing than cutting. I prefer loose grit abrasive personally, at least for the final step. This will produce a surface that cuts a little better even at a high level of finish. As described by Mr. Wizard, the effect is textured almost like a very fine sandblast. If you are set on the diamond plate, I'd stop before 1200. Maybe just the 300. Try and see how it does. You certainly won't hurt the hone in any way that can't be remedied.

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  6. Josh Rathbun

Josh Rathbun

Sep 14, 2018
    Thanks for the info! I think I will order some SiC powder and go that route. I am looking forward to seeing the results.

eKretz likes this.