Conflicting reports of steel in Boker knives

Hey folks, I'm interested in buying a Boker Congress pocketknife. There seems to be some conflicting info out there about the type of steel used in the blades.

Sales literature claims 440C while the blades appear to be marked 440A. Which one is it?

I'd quite like another knife in well hardened 440C but I'm really not interested in one made with 440A having had disappointing experiences with them in the past.

I see that there are some Boker staff on this forum, Perhaps they could answer this?

Thanks

I don’t believe Boker uses 440C in any of their slipjoint knives

Sure they do. I have plenty.

The one on the bottom in 440c.
ownH2eU.jpg

Boker's made in Solingen Germany will have the "Solingen" stamp on the tang and are either 440C stainless or C75 carbon steel. Boker has also been known to use N690 on a few of their knives. The stainless one's in N690 and 440C are normally etched on the blade. The one's that are 440A are Boker's which do not have the Solingen stamp. These are sourced overseas and assembled in Germany. They have the shield with Germany under the Tree Brand logo. They've been doing this now for the past 20 years that I can remember.

Boker's made in Solingen Germany will have the "Solingen" stamp on the tang and are either 440C stainless or C75 carbon steel. Boker has also been known to use N690 on a few of their knives. The stainless one's in N690 and 440C are normally etched on the blade. The one's that are 440A are Boker's which do not have the Solingen stamp. These are sourced overseas and assembled in Germany. They have the shield with Germany under the Tree Brand logo. They've been doing this now for the past 20 years that I can remember.

They also use O1 in some of their Solingen made knives. :)

I wish Boker would change the way named their tiers. The Solingen made Bokers are on such a different level when compared to the Chinese/Taiwan made Plus and Magnum counterparts. The Argentinian Boker Arbolitos are no slouch either!

Fixall, that is true. There are a few other steels that I have seen come out of there too. N695 and I believe a few years back I remember a few fixed blades that they made in 154CM. Their classic steel is C75 though. And yes I agree that the Boker Arbolito knives are a gem. They've also got some very nice sheaths coming out of Argentina.

Back