Congress tool stone and Edgepro?

armilite

BOUNCED EMAIL: I need to update my email address in my profile!
I just received my 60 grit ruby stone from congress tool and I have a question. I talked to Ben Dale before I bought this and he told me to buy the 1/4 " thick stone. I thought the stones that he sells are thicker than that.
Am I right guys? I mount any stones that I get at other sources on metal rulers that I pick up at Wall Mart.

Anyway my question is if one of my stones is thicker or thiner will it change the angel at which I'm honing at. For example if I start out at 15% with the ruby which might be a little thinner and then move on to the 125 grit will this hurt the angle? The 125 might be a bit thicker.

Thanks,
armilite

I can't see how your angle would be affected, assuming the stone sits flat. Thicker stones last much longer. The lower grit stones, especially, seem to dish out quickly. Sooner or later, all stones need to be flattened, and that can only be done by removing material.

If one end of the stone (or mechanism holding the stone) is at a fixed point/pivot, and the blade position is also fixed, the thicker the stone the smaller the angle.

I think Curtis (cbwx34) measured the EdgePro waterstones and they were 5/32". With a 60 grit stone tending to wear out faster than a similar stone of finer grit, I think the advice you received was Ben's customer service benefitting both you and Congress Tools.

Back