Contemplating my first CRK purchase...

Hi all,

I looked around the forum but still had some lingering questions. Thanks in advance for all who contribute.

I'm eyeing a Knifeart model 21 CF exclusive. My questions are:

-Does anyone have pictures of the CF version disassembled, specifically how the blade/washer/CF scale all interact?
-As far a ultimate strength and longer-term durability are concerned, how do you feel the CF version compares to the standard Ti?
-One of the first modifications I'm also kicking around is an aftermarket annodization. Does this affect/void the factory warranty or otherwise frowned upon by CRK
-Will CRK swap out the blue thumbstud and hardware for chrome if I send it in to them?

Thanks again all!!! Hoping to get my feet wet soon!! :D

1. Can't help you with that.
2. In my opinion the Ti is far more durable long term. The Ti slabs can get blasted during spa service and look brand new again, the CF scale will not get this treatment and scratches, although few, will remain.
3. Officially yes. But there is a huge difference between warranty and service. Your warranty can be gone and they will still service the knife as far as sharpening and washers, etc... Only speaking from personal experience, I have sent in anodized knives and CRK looked at them case by case basis. If you mess up the scales anodizing it (it is unlikely but possible) then they will not help you. Heat anodizing is a big no no, so stick with electrical. Severe mods will completely void everything. Minor things like an aftermarket pocket clip that does not affect the knife they do not seem to mind. Normal anodization they do not seen to mind either. They will not blast my scales during spa service, but if I asked to return the knife to factory bead blast I think they would do it, for a fee, but the option would be there. They have replaced washers and sharpened my "nuked" Sebenza 25. Really an awesome company.
4. Yes, there is a fee listed on their site. You can also get double lugs if you want.

The KA carbon fiber versions are okay for lighter carry weight, but as Ryan points out carbon fiber is far less durable than titanium and I've read many posts where people find issues with blade centering on those models. So while the carbon fiber is sexy looking and shaves about an ounce off the weight, I'd start my venture in Chris Reeve knives with either a plain titanium or Micarta inlay version. And yes, I have a KA carbon fiber 25. It would be the last CRK I'd grab when I want one that will not fail without question. You can always come back to a carbon fiber version because you will end up getting more than one- guaranteed!

CF slabs are not as durable, unless you plan on owning multiple CRK's, stick with Ti.

Modify at your risk.

There are CRK dealers that offfer plain 21's with all silver hardware and double thumbstuds.

There is not much feedback about the CF versions - real user feedback.
Trend is overbuild and heavy these days.
The Carbon Fiber has it's advantages light and stiff and is nice to look at, and then the light weight makes one wonder if...
Today CF is used in many applications and by many makers and knife companies.
I doubt that CRK would continue using it, if there where problems.

Since will be your first, I'd say go for it.
Get one, use it and tell us about it.
If you find out you need more strength (which I doubt) you can get a Ti-scale from CRK fitted to your knife.
hope this helps
red mag

Regarding the pictures, it is the same as a plain jane Sebenza just a carbon fiber slab instead of titanium. If you cannot find pics of the carbon fiber disassembled, look for a plain.

Regarding durability, I have had a large Insingo CF since mid 2014. I don't carry it everyday but it is part of my regular rotation. I haven't thrown it against a brick wall or anything like that, but I haven't babied it either. I've used it a lot when doing random maintenance around my house, yardwork, etc. and have noticed zero difference in durability compared to my Ti CRKs. It definitely has a different feel to it than the Ti...the CF has an almost plastic feel to it at times but then again it looks cool and is lighter weight. I prefer the Ti (especially with micarta inlays) but the CF is fine too.

So, unless you're really gonna abuse the knife (which I recommend against) you shouldn't have to worry about the CF durability. As red mag mentioned you can buy a Ti front slab direct from CRK if you want both...I think they charge something like $125 or $135 from memory. My recommendation is for your first CRK, get a Ti version as that will truly give you the right first impression of CRKs. Although if you know you'll always be longing for a CF version, it would probably be easier to buy the CF version and order a Ti slab from CRK than vice versa.

By the way, I actually had CRK switch out the blue hardware on my CF to double studs and all silver. I like it way better than the blue with the CF. If you get an all Ti Sebenza instead of CF though, you can get one with all silver hardware and double studs direct from CRK or from one particular dealer.

Ironically a Large 21 CF was my first CRK.

Its a user and edc's during the summer months and still gets in on rotation often... I had had NO issues with the knife and I am a pretty picky fella. Knife has always maintained perfect centering even after being dropped multiple times onto concrete and once off a combine (13 feet onto the shop floor) where I was fitting a new unloading auger shield. CF slab shows no scratches, snail trials, or chips on mine. Guess I am just lucky.

Its cleaned out a few deer, spliced fuel lines, stripped wires, cut unknown amounts of tape and cardboard, and cut the head off a rattlesnake, etc,etc,etc... Its a hard nose user... all this and much lighter carry than my 25.

B4AF3DDE-4EC8-4D15-AB30-7268E13E9A7E_zpsijubgpp0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's a much more recent picture so you can see the CF has not been compromised after all the crap I throw at it...

407C74D0-A8CA-47AD-902F-9A4AEC40B4C5_zps51fxnqoa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I don't have a picture of it broken down, but its really no different than a ti slab.

^ Hey- that bottle of Pappy is worth at least 6 or likely 7 of those CF Sebenza's. Any estimate when you will crack it open? Not that I'm drooling or anything...

If it were mine, I'd crack it tonight! :p The knife is mine, the bottle is a buddies... I'll get him to crack it soon enough ;) maybe

The CF versions are KA exclusive, so if you plan on buying one version and the purchasing the other scale from CRK you will need to buy the CF knife first. Because it is an exclusive they will not sell you a CF scale, but it sounds like you can purchase a replacement TI scale from CRK.

This was pretty much the exact same thing I wanted to do, except that I wanted a CF tanto. I wound up buying the TI tanto and purchased a CF scale from a high end pimper (he doesn't pimp anymore and his custom knives now go for thousands,so it wasn't OEM but it was high quality) . The CF really lightens the knife considerably and made for a much better EDC from a comfort perspective. Functionally/durability wise I noticed no difference or issues. I used it that way for a long time, but I eventually switched back to the TI just for a change. I never went back to the CF, as I came to realize that I liked the overall feel of the full TI better for some reason. Hope it helps, good luck.

Back