Contouring handles question

Don't forget, it's easy to use a small diameter to shape a larger curve, but it's MUCH HARDER to use a large diameter to shape a smaller curve.
~billyO

Oh I remember that stuck in the metal thread. What an epic epic thread.

After reviewing it againI'm going to touch up a handle that I have been meaning to touch up for some time now.

I chuckle when I see a lot of the "Nick Wheeler does it this way..." comments... because they're not how I do it about half the time. :D

I do my contouring with 1" and 2"contact wheels and then files/sandpaper. I only knock bulk off the handle with a bigger wheel. :):):)

I chuckle when I see a lot of the "Nick Wheeler does it this way..." comments... because they're not how I do it about half the time. :D

I do my contouring with 1" and 2"contact wheels and then files/sandpaper. I only knock bulk off the handle with a bigger wheel. :):):)

Maybe you should, that Wheeler guy makes superb stuff you know :D

I use the flat platen and the 2" wheel on it to shape my handles.
Clean up on a 1/2" split slackbelt before handsanding.

Let a stiff belt overhang on the side of your flat platen and you can do any radius you want.

half round files are where its at.
rough shape from grinder wheel but nothing beats a half round file

edit to add: also you cant cook the wood/epoxy around your pins with a file

Suck it Wheeler... you put that damn thread out there and you can't take it back! it's like the fappening... it's out there, lol and I tell everyone about it that i think that can learn anything from it! if you were gonna go and edit stuff, ya gotta keep us up to speed... I haven't even gotten to do a hidden tang knife yet, so how am i gonna know i'm doing it right if you changed your method? :p

Suck it Wheeler... you put that damn thread out there and you can't take it back! it's like the fappening... it's out there, lol and I tell everyone about it that i think that can learn anything from it! if you were gonna go and edit stuff, ya gotta keep us up to speed... I haven't even gotten to do a hidden tang knife yet, so how am i gonna know i'm doing it right if you changed your method? :p

LOL... I have changed how I do some things since that thread. But I didn't use a big wheel for contouring in that thread either... I used the 2" and files. Only used the big wheel for knocking off the outside bulk. :)

LOL... I have changed how I do some things since that thread. But I didn't use a big wheel for contouring in that thread either... I used the 2" and files. Only used the big wheel for knocking off the outside bulk. :)

You can go back and check if you want. :p

Ha! ...worst part is, i do go check it on occasion when im doing something that i don't usually do and see if there's anything that can help, and it often does. still my favorite WIP thread of all time. likely the title makes up half of that, lol

I use a longboard wheel for 90% of my handle shaping. It's a bit over 2" iirc. A black and decker powerfile is useful to me. Others hate them.

Back