Convergent blade evolution?

I am struck by the similarity of these blades to the "mini-khuk" kardas that came with my UBE and GRS.

http://agrussell.com/dhrussell/dhr101.html

I also very much like the karda that came with my 25" sirupati for a general use utility blade.

I think that either the "mini-khuk" kardas or those that come with the biggest khukuries could be a fine selling knife on their own, particularly if they were pinned, and care was taken to include a cho or a good plunge grind at the ricasso, especially if the grind is taken higher--near the spine. No bolster or buttplate is needed for a small knife like this. I would think that they could go for around double the price of a kagnes katne if well hardened. Don't know if this would fly economically, but I sure am thinking of making sheaths for some of my larger kardas and I am a little apprehensive about losing one if separated from the khuk it came with. Just my thoughts, but a think a couple of simply made larger karda styles with a single pin through the handle and a leather sheath could sell. I have some kardas that have the full Bir Ghorka feel and they have compelled me to get their handles just right and I enjoy using them just as much as my khuks.

Is anyone else a karda maniac like me?

Originally posted by firkin
I am struck by the similarity of these blades to the "mini-khuk" kardas that came with my UBE and GRS.

I also very much like the karda that came with my 25" sirupati for a general use utility blade.

I think that either the "mini-khuk" kardas or those that come with the biggest khukuries could be a fine selling knife on their own, particularly if they were pinned, and care was taken to include a cho or a good plunge grind at the ricasso, especially if the grind is taken higher--near the spine. No bolster or buttplate is needed for a small knife like this. I would think that they could go for around double the price of a kagnes katne if well hardened.

Firkin it's already been done. Do a search for the Kumar Karda and the JKM-1.
The Kumar Karda's came/come with beautifully carved handles and their own scabbards such as they are.
The JKM-1's are similar to the Finnish Puukko.

The first hunting knife I bought myself at around 15 or 16 was a D. H. Russell Canadian belt knife like the #C in the link. Pulled it out couple months back, oiled the sheath, and though it was still sharp, made it a bit sharper before oiling it up too and replacing it. Has to be 35 years old now and aside from the occasional sharpening still looks new.

Firkin it's already been done.Do a search for the Kumar Karda and the JKM-1.

Sort of...more like done and then some. Not that that's bad--but a little different. The blade profiles seem more like stubby Leukus to me.
I'm thinking of something lighter weight, and simple. Hidden partial tang (maybe one thin pin), no buttcap, possibly a simple bolster, main thing being handle 3"-3 3/4" long.

I have a JKM-1 and it is a great knife that I have gradually modified to fit my hand. Mine may be larger than usual-- the blade is 4". It is a lot of knife with a fairly wide blade 1" and a fairly fat handle, though I have slimmed that down. Also heavy (but well balanced). It takes a wonderful edge. But it doesn't quite disappear in my hand like some of the kardas do for more delicate work. The JKM-1 wins for the heavier stuff though.

I guess I should just be happy that I got some great kardas with the khuks. :)

..Yeah, Firkin. The Kardas that come with the YCS are fully functional knives in their own right as well. Same with the one that came with the 18" AK.

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

Originally posted by Ferrous Wheel
..Yeah, Firkin. The Kardas that come with the YCS are fully functional knives in their own right as well. Same with the one that came with the 18" AK.

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

Keith the two kardas that come with the YCS were designed by me for real using knives and the two different sizes serve two different purposes although the longer one can do the work of the smaller one if need be and such is the way with large over small blades and will always be that way, always has.
The 3 cornered awl is designed to punch holes in cloth with minimal tearing.:)

..Heeh! I bet it would punch holes in anything without tearing. The tip was busted off the tip of mine on arrival, but I re-beveled it and reground it, then gave it a good polish.

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

The YCS kardas are knives all to themselves. That rig is a 3 for 1 deal with an awl (sometimes blunt, however!) thrown in for good measure.

Yep, I bet the awl could certainly be thrown! For good measure or otherwise.

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

P.s. Uncle Bill, Email sent.

Back