Convince Me

ron finkbeiner jr

Gold Member
Really been looking at the Recon Tanto 3v and I was wondering why a person needs a fixed blade tanto outside of the military? Please know I am not flaming the Recon Tanto, in fact it's the opposite! I just think it's the Bee's Knee's so to speak. I just want to know how it would fit into my stuff? Thanks in advance for your time and patience.

Really been looking at the Recon Tanto 3v and I was wondering why a person needs a fixed blade tanto outside of the military? Please know I am not flaming the Recon Tanto, in fact it's the opposite! I just think it's the Bee's Knee's so to speak. I just want to know how it would fit into my stuff? Thanks in advance for your time and patience.

Personal defense is the first thing that pops into my mind. With a proper low profile, fast IWB sheath, it makes a great self defense tool.

Ron, the 3V knives are the ultimate extreme outdoors usage knives. 3V steel is VERY tough. Pretty much anything fixed blade and 3V is used for outdoors tasks, camping, bushcraft, survival, rescue, etc.

Its easy for me, I have knives I need and then knives I want. Like anything in life after your needs are satisfied then you get what you want. I need lots of knives and want them right now hee, hee.

Really been looking at the Recon Tanto 3v and I was wondering why a person needs a fixed blade tanto outside of the military? ... I just want to know how it would fit into my stuff? ....
Not in the military and how it fits into.
your stuff is precisely why you should
own a recon tanto now; because its every man"s duty to own at least one credible
piece of action worthy gear in his
bugout footlocker ;-)
Because only a tanto can break the monotony of working with otherwise
mundane and sober looking edge tools.
Git a life git a tanto :)

;) I'm just the opposite . I desperately need to convince myself to NOT compulsively purchase every similar item I see advertised or discussed .

Even though I already possess enough survival / tactical zombie apocalypse tools and weapons to equip a small horde , I still WANT more toys ! :p:thumbsup:

I still have my Recon Tanto from way back , made of Carbon V . Tried hard to break that , but never could . The 3V should be even tougher ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

From my use, and testing, the secondary point where the two edges meet (yokote), gives an advantage for a quick snap cut.

It penetrates better through material than a curved belly.

I've tried it my self through cardboard, and clothing multiple layers.

Once, I tested this type of cut with an American tanto point first with a factory transition, then with the secondary point sharpened to be more round. I took a bit off the transition to make it rounder. It affected the penetration on snap cuts, to a significant degree.

Further, penetration on a snap cut where the belly made contact on a traditional (non Tanto point) verses a Tanto point was amazingly inferior.

The secondary point creates a significant advantage in this area.

Now, I'm not a knife fighter. I have no knife combat experience. But I've used and slashed, and cut and stabbed with a lot of knives.

Daggers, swords, axes, hawks, pole arms, spears, throwing knives, and many blunt/crushing weapons. I was pretty surprised when I did a test with "Americanized tanto" shapes.

Does that make them better combat knives? Eh... I've never "combated" anyone with one.

But, I'd say they snap cut on a quick tip attack better than the same length blade knife without that secondary point.

I have a few CS tanto designs. In carry and use, I have used the Tanto point for scraping gaskets, stickers, and many other uses.

I had a co worker force a lock on his car with an old Recon1 back when the ultra lock was standard. He also, later, cut through sheet metal on the side of his old car to get to the busted locking mechanism. (Snowboarding, and he did not want to have to drive back down the mountain with a busted window.

I'm not sure a clip point or drop point would have had enough tip strength to do the prying he did both times. Took a bit of time to restore the edges when I sharpened it for him.

Last edited:
We just got the Recon Tanto in SK5 back in stock. Start there at $70 and if you really enjoy it, consider upgrading to the better steel and sell the SK5 model or gift it to a friend. Don't dive straight in to a knife that expensive if you're not sure what uses you have for it yet. We like selling knives but we like happy users more.

Get one to see if you like it or not. I have knives in different steels, blade styles, lock types, and handle configurations/materials because I want to find out for myself what I think of them. Of tantos, I have two. I don't like one of them, Benchmade's 4-inch version of Emerson's CQC-7, and one that I do, an Ontario Utilitac II. Next, I'm pretty sure I need a fixed tanto, too...

I got rid of all of my tantos . They are ok for some but did not fit with my use: hiking, camping, opening mail, fishing, etc. For some, they meet a need, even if a felt need.

It would help if you could define for us exactly what you need or want your knife to be able to accomplish . Your "philosophy of use" or intended purpose .

I don't like the mythology or fanboy fetish level love for tanto and katana.

Get a Bowie, its legit designed for fighting and general survival and bushcraft.

As far as I can tell the tanto was made for a tragic ending of it's owner including women.

I have an old san mai master tanto I carry inside the belt in a kydex sheath that when pulled is set up for reverse edge out. It's very light weight and quick into action if need be. I have thought about setting it up for a CM carry rig though in an edge out carry also. Their good knives offered in quite a few different steels it just depends on what you want to do with it. In my mind it's a self defense type knife mostly.

Have you ever wanted to open that amazon box, but don't want to get the tape glue on your knife? Bam, stab that box and open it up with reckless abandon.

And has been said before, there's nothing wrong with buying a knife that looks cool. In fact, it's encouraged. Getting an ugly knife that functions well... still looks ugly and you holding it probably doesn't make it prettier. But a pretty knife that is still functional, albeit a little less functional, at least makes you want to use it while you slash open boxes with a sweet knife.

Personally, tanto tips aren't for me. I like clip points best for looks but they are also not a good choice for what I often buy fixed blades for, and that's use on wood for crafting bushes or other stuff as my zen. For EDC, I tend to flavor the anti-tanto, a wharncliffe or sheepsfoot. I like the straight edge of tantos but like that tip pulled back so much that the flat section now becomes the tip.

I think a rounded tanto might change my mind, like on a Chris Reeves or the spanto from hinderer, but the ones that are out there like a knuckle aren't for me. I suppose those that have a sweeping blade with a tanto tip wouldn't be bade, but I think I've only seen those on long, thin width blades.

Basically, buy shit you will at least enjoy.

Back