cool SAK story

So, I was sent via dispatch to a robbery type case that involved a stabbing (i'm a cop). We located the suspect in his apartment, but he had locked himself in his bathroom. The bathroom door lock was one of those kind you commonly see on rooms inside houses, with the single pinhole in which you insert a long metal nail or thin rod and simply push to unlock from the outside.

Without getting into legal details, let it suffice to say there was no warrant and we could not justify kicking the door in or causing any damage to the house.

Well, the toothpick from my Vic Fieldmaster which was hanging on my belt did the trick. Door was opened and the suspect, who was in the bathtub, was taken into custody.

Now my partners are saying they are going to start carrying a SAK.:D

He surrendered in fear, seeing the pointy toothpick threatening him! :D

Seriously, good use of a simple tool. I agree a SAK is at least as useful as a big folder for ordinary situations.

A little known fact is the SAK toothpick was initially designed for picking locks (it was actually called the skeleton key for the first 3 or 4 years in their catalog). After a few years, they figured they could expand their market share by calling it a toothpick. True story. ;)

A little known fact is the SAK toothpick was initially designed for picking locks (it was actually called the skeleton key for the first 3 or 4 years in their catalog). After a few years, they figured they could expand their market share by calling it a toothpick. True story. ;)

Although I never thought to use the toothpick, there was a time my Swisschamp bp pen was used as a lock pick far more than for writing.
Could you direct us to the source of your info about the SAK toothpick?

Also the toothpick or tweezers can open police handcuffs.

I'm not going to tell you how I know, so don't ask!

Also the toothpick or tweezers can open police handcuffs.

I'm not going to tell you how I know, so don't ask!
this isn't actually true. i've tried, ha. The keyhole on handcuffs has a unique shape; the tweezers and toothpick simply won't fit.

Last edited:
I foresee the coming of the tactical toothpick (in black, of course)...

Jaime Orozco.

Originally posted by Cheeseburger
carbon fiber toothpick

No no no. A tactical toothpick must be made of titanium, with a deep knurled pattern for superior traction and control in high stress situations.

Could you bend the tweazers into a shape condusive to lockpicking?

Also the toothpick or tweezers can open police handcuffs. I'm not going to tell you how I know, so don't ask!

this isn't actually true. i've tried, ha. The keyhole on handcuffs has a unique shape; the tweezers and toothpick simply won't fit.

I presume he did not unlock the handcuffs by picking through the keyhole. I've escaped from several types of locks and handcuffs, as a hobby naturally, and picking a lock is not often the quickest way to defeat a lock

jfn Could you bend the tweazers into a shape condusive to lockpicking?

You could bend them and make them into a lock pick set, but it would be a last resort. You are better off using a proper lock pick set, or better yet, getting around the lock in another manner e.g. hiring a locksmith, popping hinges, etc.

Good job at improvising. Nice to hear about a knife being put to good use "in the line of duty."

- Mark

This story is missing, "When the suspect refused to budge from the bath tub, I was forced to pull out the parcel hook, snag his cheek and drag him out of his porcelain confines." :D

re skeleton key
i guess then, this why some of the versions of the toothpick have a notch towards the front end?

Back