Recommendation? Coote belt grinders?

Hi all, looking for some opinions or advice on a belt grinder. I currently have one of the dinky little 1x30 Harbor Freight belt grinders that I've been messing around on and made a couple of bad (not necessarily the grinders fault....) unfinished knives on. I was thinking of buying plans to build my own belt sander from usaknifemaker and building my own but I came across a Coote 2x72 belt sander being sold with a motor for $350. Being a newbie to knife making but never hearing of a Coote sander before it seems like an amazing deal as they go for 450 without a motor brand new. Can anyone tell me if this is as good of a deal as it seems? I had figured it would cost me around 350 to build my own so to buy one premade for 350 with a motor seems great, I just don't know much about anything lol. Thanks!

I have used a Coote for 10 years but on the flat platten only. Have never tried to grind on the wheel. It is a problem free grinder.

I have used a Coote for 10 years but on the flat platten only. Have never tried to grind on the wheel. It is a problem free grinder.
So definitely worth it regardless of what type of motor's on it? Anything I should look out for or worry about buying a used one?

We’ve had one for almost 10 years. Added the small wheel attachment and disc. About two years ago we bought a esteem with 2hp variable speed.
Still kept the coote. Too good of a grinder to let go. Just a solid work horse

Back