Copperliner Stainless

Does anyone know what kind of stainless is used in the Copperliner? Sure seems like D2 to me.

Thanks,

Jim

The steel used in the Copperliner is a 420J.
HTH,
TJT

Isn't that the steel you see in chinese made wallhanger Katanas and such? If so I know it's got very low carbon content, like .15% and won't take much less hold any kind of an edge. I hope it's not the same stuff. The only reason I thought it might be D2 is it looks and feels similar to my only other knife in D2, a Queen folding hunter. I haven't put either knife through their paces, but I've heard about D2's hardness and toughness.

My understanding is the Henckels slipjoints made in the Boker factory have 420HC and my assumption would have been that the Boker Copperliner stainless would be the same stuff. Can anyone confirm if that's correct?

Some of the wallhanger stuff is made from the 420J.
Ours is the same type that Buck uses, like on their Strider
number 889.
It is a good user steel.
Thanks,TJT

Sorry,
I made an error in my first post on this, I was rereading it and realized.
The correction should read 420J2, not plain 420J.
Sorry once again.
Thanks, TJT

That's what I figured. I guess 420J is the same as what people call 420 high carbon, correct?

I really like that knife for everyday carry. You sort of get the benefits of a slipjoint (style, elegance) and a tactical (linerlock, thumb stud) in a single knife.

Regards,

Jim

TJT said:
Some of the wallhanger stuff is made from the 420J.
Ours is the same type that Buck uses, like on their Strider
number 889.

Buck does NOT use 420j or 420J2 in their Strider's, they use 420HC.

I will look into that Confederate, the camparison chart I have has
them listed as the same.
If it is wrong, I will change it.
Thanks for the heads up.
Terry

Last Confederate was right, the chart I looked at was
right, I looked at it wrong.
My apologies.
Terry

Well, on paper they are sorta close, but 420HC has way more carbon in it usually as well as Vanadium and Molybdenum which 420J doesn't.

Buck does not list 420hc as having Molybdenum or Vanadium...
http://www.buckknives.com/technical_steel.php

...but it does have .44% Carbon. A little low for a knife steel, but they harden it to rc58. Camillus uses it too, but I don't think they harden it that much because so far they haven't worked out as well as any of the Bucks.

Spyderco says 420j2 is .15% Carbon:
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/steelchart.html

CRKT says 420j2 has .32%, a number which I have never seen elsewhere. They used to say .15, but then they changed it.
http://www.crkt.com/steelfct.html

I have seen plain old "420" used to refer to a number of things, including some Europeans steels that seem to work better than other stuff labeled the same.

So at this point I don't care what someone wants to call anything falling under some kind of 420 label. If they can't give an AISI or other real designation, why not just tell us exactly what is in it and how hard it is?

Back