Cord wrap handle help

I received a link to "Running Dog Co." cord wrap tutor. It was really good. So now I think I am going to try to do a cord wrap on my next knife. Can anyone tell me who or where a good supplier for this type of cord is. In the tutorial they used a thinner cord to do a flat wrap and then a thicker cord for a twist or flip wrap. So I need to find a supplier for this. Any suggestions would be great. Plus any tips on doing a cord wrap would also be greatly appreciated especial if it pertains to a small knife of about 6-7 in. Thanks.

I bought a huge roll of olive drab paracord from Sportsman Guide when it was on sale...hit the blue "search" button in the upper right hand corner and put in "paracord" for more options.

Hugh Bradley, known as 3/16th here on the forums, uses alot of black nylon boot laces for his works of art. Get the extra long variety (I think 36" Black). They are cheap, easily available, and look very good after he works his majic with the wrap and seals it all with some type of super duper wood epoxy resin. I know I'm not much help with this, but maby Hugh or someone with more experience with this than me will jump in here.

Clint

www.chisanknives.com

I guess it depends on what kind of wrap you are going for. For a more traditional look, I typically use a 72" long, flat black bootlace. This will easily fit your standard tanto. They are readily available at any shoe or hardware store. When I end the wrap, a couple of drops of Hot Shot cyanoacrylate glue (the extra runny kind so that it soaks in) will stop your wrap from unraveling. I make sure that all my wraps are even. Don't be afraid to use dividers or a ruler. To harden the wrap, I use a wood-hardening epoxy from Industrial Formulators called S1. It is not much thicker than water and will soak right in to the wrap. Some people like plain epoxy but I find that a bit 'globby' looking. S1 can be found at specialty woodworking stores. Hope this helps.

If you want to go high end, Fred Lohman or Bugei Trading sell the real deal; traditional silk ito wrapping cord. This stuff is amazing to wrap with. It's also much more expensive than shoelace!

Hugh

Thanks. That all is a big help. A concern I still have is the size and shape of the handle. The width is only 3/4 in approx. at its widest point, it's not completely straight, and its only 3-3 1/4 in. in length. I want to do a double wrap to thicken the grip. Anyone have success wrapping small handles?

Thanks.

Back