Cord-wrapping the Steel Heart

Well, you all know that I prefer a thicker handle than the one that Busse uses. Firstly, I can live with the handle, and it isn't that bad for me, but I would like a thicker one. So, I had some options. I could bind the handle in tennis racquet tape or I could cord-wrap my SH handle. I went with the cord-wrap because it is more durable, thicker, and provides a good grip when wet.

I went to a hardware store and asked for "para-cord". The clerk had no idea what I was talking about. I then asked where the rope/string was. He showed me, and I found a cord that looks much like para-cord, and very well may be it (I've never used or touched paracord). It is quite grippy (rough), and should provide an excellent grip. I bought ten feet of it, which is enough if you plan to only put one layer on (for me one layer made the handle plenty thick, bordering on too thick). I did a very simple (and possibly stupid/ignorant) cord-wrap. It doesn't look great, but I chose it because the cord stays on the knife very well. I put the cord through the holes in the handle as well, so the cord would stay still while on the grip. I also added a one-strand hand guard. To finish the wrap, I tied the two ends together and then proceeded to melt the knot for a strong junction (the cord is nylon). I have yet to use the cord-wrapped handle for chopping, or any cutting actually. I think I'll try the new handle on my next camping trip, and I'll post some results if I do. The thing is, while the handle is pretty good, I'm not sure if I love it. Time and experience with it will tell. It feels pretty good in the hand, though some of the cord strands near the back of the handle move somewhat while in use. The main problem I have is that the knife no longer quite properly fits the sheath. The sheath wasn't designed to accomodate a larger handle (obviously), and therefore the handle makes the outline of the back of the sheath less than straight (which gives the most comfort while on the belt). Basically, the handle makes the sheath's back jut out a little. Also, the retention strap that holds the knife very strongly will no longer fit the handle, and is therefore now useless. Other than those worries, it fills my hand well. I will tell you how using it for chopping and general cutting go.

Here are some pics of the new cord-wrapped handle:

http://members4.clubphoto.com/a318774/SH_handle_changes/

Andrew,

Very interesting. Please check your email, I think I may have a very cool idea that will solve the problems you are encountering.

Thanks,

Jerry Busse

Good Day,

Good man.

I did something kind of similar with my Becker Machax.

http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum21/HTML/000482.html

If you need some para-cord, I would be willing to donate some.

------------------
Thank you,
Marion David Poff aka Eye mdpoff@hotmail.com

My website, guided links, talonite/cobalt alloy info, etc....
http://www.geocities.com/mdpoff

>>--->Bill Siegle Custom Knives<---<<
-http://www.geocities.com/siegleknives-

"To wait for luck is the same as waiting for death." -Japanese Proverb

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Lao Tzu

"We will either find a way, or make one." Hannibal, 210 B.C.

Jerry, would you mind sharing some cordwrap tech for the rest of us Busse owners? Maybe a decent cordwrap on my BM-E will help? thanks,
Jason

I made my SHII a little grippier once by wrapping the handle in a layer of friction electrical tape (the stuff that is rough on the outside). Worked good too, but the plain SHII handle is plenty big enough for my hand. Wrote Jerry Busse about my wrap once, but I think it insulted him because he never wrote back!
smile.gif

Jerry, my email address has changed since I put it on Bladeforums! You can now reach me at allkill_drew@hotmail.com . Sorry for the inconvenience.

I don't know how well your cord wrapping will work as that looks like it has WAY too much leeway in the grip to be comfortable...
I wrapped my varient SH with 550 cord and used the "samurai" style (ie: Strider Knife style) on mine...
I had Jerry put an extra lanyard hole in the end of it for just this reason and used that hole as an anchor point to tie off the extra and keep it tight...
the knife is now a perfect fit for my hand, looks extra cool with a cord wrapped handle and is nonslip with and w/o gloves on...which is nesseccary in my line of work..
I wish i could post pictures, but i don't have access to a digital camera and the seniors won't let me take my knife out of the armory while on ship. I will do my best to send out film with pictures of it as soon as possible...
Hope this helps explain what I did. If you need instructions on how to wrap using the "samurai" style, go to the strider forums and ask for an explanation...there was even pictures of it posted a while back...Mick or Dwayne should be able to help,they are good guys...
Horse

Jerry
Could you post or E-Mail me your cord wrapping ideas?
I am trying several different wraps on my Variant.
One thing I have found out is that the “Samurai” wrap tends to bunch up during heavy chopping.

I am not king of the cord wrap, however many of my first blades (early 1980's) were cord wrapped in several different configurations. Straight, Wide butterfly, Tight butterfly, Combos. . etc. . . . I have always been a fan of a good butterfly wrap. We have some exciting new models coming from the Custom Shop that will be reminiscent of these early models that featured the combo wrap. Stay tuned.

Thanks for the topic,

Jerry Busse

Check out the newest issue of Knives Illustrated( I believe) for a step by step w/photos intruction on wrapping.

Back