Cork Belts

Is there one that you recommend? I had been given a broken in old belt that is no longer made and the ones that I see now look nothing like it. Is there one that stands above others? Thanks in advance for your help.

https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=000051236030827549219:_i6taktwi50

Plug in the words "cork belts".

There is currently a thread running in Shop Talk with a discussion about them. Check out page 2:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1306698-Is-this-the-norm-with-scotch-brite

Thank you Mr. Apelt but I did try the search function and most of the threads were a few years old with a couple of exceptions. I'll just bit the bullet and call a few suppliers directly.

Cork belts are not scotch brite belts. They are a completely different belt which usually contain a silicon carbide grinding agent. They are very popular in the glass business. They are usually available from 60 - 800 grit They do have an inherent problem of getting loaded after just a little use of grinding metal. You can avoid this problem by loading the belt with polishing compound or a belt grease that's available. What has happened is some makers have taken this belt in the finest grind, worked off almost all the cork and have come up with a belt when used correctly with polishing compound in this state will allow you to go directly to the buffer if you wish.
Frank.

Sorry, but I forgot to say, these belts work very well if you use mammoth tooth. Ceramics, not so good comparatively speaking.
Frank

The thread I stated starts off talking about scotchbrite and the discussion turns to cork belts. The reason he couldn't find the thread.

i think the belt you had looked much different because it was broken in. they look like 36 grit belts when you buy them new.

Cork belts need to be broken in. You put on a respirator and a face shield, then run the belt at high speed. Put a bar of 3/4" round stock (with the end rounded a bit) against the belt and push firmly. Work the entire surface for about 10 minutes. That will break in the belt and get it ready to use. To keep the belt cutting as it ages, you can use the stick type abrasives to charge it. Used properly, a cork belt will last a long time. Once broken in they run smooth and quiet.

Back